History Channel pushing debunked Christ-Mithra theory

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: History Channel pushing debunked Christ-Mithra theory

Post by steven lloyd »

cliffy1 wrote: I have a very personal relationship with my Creator and It is nothing like the psychopath of the bible. It is non judgmental, does not need our worship and praise, does not care what you believe, does not bring down all forms of pestilence, calamity and disease upon people or nations because they don't bow down and kiss his feet. Its love is unconditional.

We are an insignificant species living on a miniscule speck of dust in an infinite Universe. It is beyond egotistical to think that a being capable of creating this infinite Universe would care what you think or believe, that it would actually bother to answer your prayers requesting all your petty concerns. Man created their god to try to assuage their feelings of inadequacy and insignificance.

Hmmm wrote: Just know that regardless of your experience and what others say, the description you've painted of God is 100% opposite of how he's presented in the Bible

Hmmm, I guess that would make the description of God in the Bible 100% wrong.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

steven lloyd wrote:
Hmmm, I guess that would make the description of God in the Bible 100% wrong.
You're unqualified to comment on it.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hmmm wrote: You're unqualified to comment on it.

As are you

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

steven lloyd wrote:As are you

You've already stated your complete lack of belief in God and the Bible. I believe you need Gods help in understanding it and that he provides it if one sincerely wants it. You aren't qualified due to your beliefs. Its spiritual not scientific.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hmmm wrote: You've already stated your complete lack of belief in God and the Bible. I believe you need Gods help in understanding it and that he provides it if one sincerely wants it. You aren't qualified due to your beliefs. Its spiritual not scientific.

You're another one of those careful readers aren't you? You think that if someone doesn't believe in your archaic version of God that they cannot have any spiritual beliefs or believe in something (beyond both our understandings) they consider as God. Imagine having the arrogance to think that your version of God is the correct one? I'm not even offended.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

steven lloyd wrote:You're another one of those careful readers aren't you? You think that if someone doesn't believe in your archaic version of God that they cannot have any spiritual beliefs or believe in something (beyond both our understandings) they consider as God. Imagine having the arrogance to think that your version of God is the correct one? I'm not even offended.
I thought you had said in the past you're an atheist. Please forgive me if I mixed you up with someone else.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hmmm wrote: I thought you had said in the past you're an atheist. Please forgive me if I mixed you up with someone else.

Apology accepted. I have never professed to be an atheist. However, I don't believe in things that can be scientifically disproven or historically explained otherwise. My beliefs in something that is beyond our understanding do not conflict with known science or theory. However, I know what I have experienced and I'm not too worried about what other people think or believe in this regard - as long as you're not telling me you've got it all figured out from reading a book.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

I don't know about the God of the Bible, but the God of organized religions is no God of mine.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

steven lloyd wrote:Apology accepted. I have never professed to be an atheist. However, I don't believe in things that can be scientifically disproven or historically explained otherwise. My beliefs in something that is beyond our understanding do not conflict with known science or theory. However, I know what I have experienced and I'm not too worried about what other people think or believe in this regard - as long as you're not telling me you've got it all figured out from reading a book.

Most Christians think that if you don't believe in their god that you must be an atheist. They can't seem to understand that they reject thousands of other gods in favour of theirs. Doesn't their rejection of all those other gods make them just as much an atheist? They don't realize that their judgement that theirs is the only true religion and all others are false is as bigoted as racism.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:Most Christians think that if you don't believe in their god that you must be an atheist. They can't seem to understand that they reject thousands of other gods in favour of theirs. Doesn't their rejection of all those other gods make them just as much an atheist? They don't realize that their judgement that theirs is the only true religion and all others are false is as bigoted as racism.

I wasn't aware of that. I thought that most people in general, including Christians, knew that that are many religions in the world and in fact most people believe in God. Silly me.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I wasn't aware of that. I thought that most people in general, including Christians, knew that that are many religions in the world and in fact most people believe in God. Silly me.

Yes, well, they don't all believe in the same god and many believe in multiple gods and goddesses. And Buddhism doesn't believe in a god, neither do the aboriginal people. They believe in the Great Mystery, the unknowable, the incomprehensible.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

cliffy1 wrote:Seems to me that Satan's greatest accomplishment was in convincing people that he was god. This would account for god being such an insecure, jealous, angry, vindictive psychopath in the bible.

I agree, this is why you rarely see anyone blaming Satan for anything. It's like blaming the government for not doing enough about crime or blaming someone for leaving their doors unlocked and being robbed instead of actually blaming the criminals.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:Most Christians think that if you don't believe in their god that you must be an atheist. They can't seem to understand that they reject thousands of other gods in favour of theirs. Doesn't their rejection of all those other gods make them just as much an atheist?

This is not accurate. Many Christians are quick to label non-Christians as atheists or agnostics because atheism has been the fad in the last century and has been of Christianity's most relentless opponents. Atheism is popular. It makes sense that many or most non-Christians would be atheists, or agnostics.

They don't realize that their judgement that theirs is the only true religion and all others are false is as bigoted as racism.

It's bigoted to deprive or ridicule Christians of their beliefs in exclusivity. Can't have your cake and eat it too, there, Cliffy.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

concernie wrote:This is not accurate. Many Christians are quick to label non-Christians as atheists or agnostics because atheism has been the fad in the last century and has been of Christianity's most relentless opponents. Atheism is popular. It makes sense that many or most non-Christians would be atheists, or agnostics.

Well, that is just silly. There are 2 billion Christians, There are almost 2 billion Muslims and another 2 billion claim to be religious (Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.) Atheists are in the minority.

It's bigoted to deprive or ridicule Christians of their beliefs in exclusivity. Can't have your cake and eat it too, there, Cliffy.

I'm not depriving anybody of anything. I'm flattered that you think I have any influence at all, but I don't, nor do I want to. The only thing I would appear to be ridiculing was your silly assertion that atheists are communists and that anybody is persecuting Christians (other than some other religious fanatics).
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

cliffy1 wrote:Well, that is just silly. There are 2 billion Christians, There are almost 2 billion Muslims and another 2 billion claim to be religious (Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.) Atheists are in the minority.

Perhaps on a global scale, but the mainstream media presents a different picture. According to the media, the majority of the world is gay, atheist, transgender, feminist, free from the bondage of logic and reason.

I'm not depriving anybody of anything. I'm flattered that you think I have any influence at all, but I don't, nor do I want to. The only thing I would appear to be ridiculing was your silly assertion that atheists are communists and that anybody is persecuting Christians (other than some other religious fanatics).

I never asserted that atheists were communists. I said that atheism was the state belief system of the Soviet Union, which it certainly was. Not all atheists are communists, but the great majority of communists are atheists.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”