Why do religions have to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by 1nick »

grammafreddy wrote:
Why is your religion the only right religion?

Hmmm wrote:Did I say that somewhere....ever? When someone expresses themselves as FOR God its funny how some people read what they never said. However if I didn't believe, than I would have no right to express this to anyone. Same as your atheist beliefs, you feel as you do and you express it to others. Alot. BTW...hi how are you?

Why is that?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

1nick wrote: However if I didn't believe, than I would have no right to express this to anyone. Same as your atheist beliefs, you feel as you do and you express it to others. Alot. BTW...hi how are you?

Isn't the answer obvious? Why would I share with others what I myself do not believe? Yes, I would have a right to be a hypocrite but that doesn't make it right.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Sorry I read that as "If I didn't believe in god I'd have no right to say so" my mistake.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Now whether you believe in your redeemer or not, just get up and dance like those ladies.

RIGHT NOW gramma ... DO IT!

I know you want to.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

sobrohusfat wrote:
Now whether you believe in your redeemer or not, just get up and dance like those ladies.

RIGHT NOW gramma ... DO IT!

I know you want to.

There's that tone I was talking about
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

...lol, then you didn't get up and dance, did you.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I'm more of a classic rock kinda guy.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

1nick wrote:
Like I said "keep it between your ears" it's bothersome and usually in a condescending tone.(just the thee above post)
"Honest thoughts,their life a certain way,moral obligation,damnation,reasonable conclusion" give me a break.

I don't understand the criticism of my post, would you care to expand? Condescending tone i get (i hope you don't think i was being condescending, )

All i am trying to say is, if you see an accident about to happen where a person was about to be very hurt, you had time to act, would you not act to try and save that person? or would you "keep it between your ears?"

I hope you see the irony of coming to a message board with the position of "i don't not want to hear anyone else's opinion"

I am not religious, but this thread is about WHY people try and convert you. My position is they folks doing the converting are trying to help you avoid an accident. I do not believe there is eternal damnation for us all, but i am sure the vast majority of folks trying to convert others are doing it for selfless reasons, they are just trying to help, no matter how bothersome and condescending it might come off as.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

I grew up with a VERY religious grandmother, who made our lives miserable....I til she got Alzheimer's then we could love her like she deserved. Before that it was impossible.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Hassel99 wrote:

I don't understand the criticism of my post, would you care to expand? Condescending tone i get (i hope you don't think i was being condescending, )

All i am trying to say is, if you see an accident about to happen where a person was about to be very hurt, you had time to act, would you not act to try and save that person? or would you "keep it between your ears?"

I hope you see the irony of coming to a message board with the position of "i don't not want to hear anyone else's opinion"

I am not religious, but this thread is about WHY people try and convert you. My position is they folks doing the converting are trying to help you avoid an accident. I do not believe there is eternal damnation for us all, but i am sure the vast majority of folks trying to convert others are doing it for selfless reasons, they are just trying to help, no matter how bothersome and condescending it might come off as.

Well the words you use in defence of the religious 'honest thoughts,moral obligation,damnation etc" are condescending.
I guess what I mean by "keep it between your ears" is more in a IRL situation,which I've had to deal with.
Fill your boots on a forum,but I doubt it's selfless when they believe they have the moralistic high ground.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I prefer people with opinions and a willingness to express them. None of this, "its OK, I won't mention my beliefs to you because you might cry or get offended somehow". I have my beliefs and you sharing your beliefs with me won't make me turn to dust, or run to my mommy. Its a load of crap that a person who feels strongly about something can't share it with those who don't either know about it or don't believe it. If you feel that strongly about something and ones don't then give it an honest discussion and do your best. We used to call it having a backbone, or grow some B-ll-s or something.

I'm not saying its ok to be pushy or to bully in any way, just that its ok to talk about it. I've heard many an atheist rant on here and it hasn't offended me one bit.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Of course it is okay to have a "discussion" providing the other person is willing....but quite often the "talker" will not take "sorry, not interested" as a valid reason to stop....and the "talkee" has to get the b**ls and stop it once and for all. That wouldn't have to happen IF the believer would just walk away and/or keep their thoughts and beliefs to themselves. So, spread your word, but only to those who are willing to listen. Met some people that were moving to Mexico to "save" people that live around the dumps...I asked if they were also going to "help" these people in other ways..ie., food, clothing, etc. the answer was "well, if we could, we would but our purpose is to "minister" to them.....they were back within about 4 months, calling them heathens...but the truth of the matter is that those people, poor or not, have their own beliefs and don't feel the need to change that and they did not appreciate the insinuation that their lives would change if they changed that. Millions of dollars are spent, around the world, trying to "spread the word"' when that money could be put to much better use right here in this country!
CJSchmidtz

Post by CJSchmidtz »

“Why can you not just accept others? I just don't get it....and certainly don't appreciate it when approached. I think it is rude and arrogant to think your belief system is the only way.” Xia

@xia If you really believed that you would not be on here criticizing anyone you would be defending them - the people who try to convert others, the people who went to mexico, the people who think their system is the only way….. you would be saying what you are doing is great I accept you keep going, your views are just as valid as mine.

The reality is you think your belief system on these points happens to be correct while theirs is false. Therefore you are here criticizing them telling them they should give up their beliefs and actions in favor of your own. This is as it should be the problem however is the particular views you are promoting. However at the moment I would only point out your hypocrisy and double standard. Everyone else should accept the views of others except your group, your group is allowed to call everyone else rude and arrogant for thinking that what they believe is in fact true. It never ceases to amaze me how people can criticize others for believing that their views are accurate, while they themselves are basing the whole critique on the assumption that their brand of relativism is in fact an accurate description of reality to which everyone should conform to.
"What luck for rulers that men do not think"
Hitler
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

[quote="CJSchmidtzIt never ceases to amaze me how people can criticize others for believing that their views are accurate, while they themselves are basing the whole critique on the assumption that their brand of relativism is in fact an accurate description of reality to which everyone should conform to.[/quote]

Lol. Yeah, that goes on a lot around here...
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

I totally believe that each to his own beliefs...I just think that it doesn't need to be forced on others..that, imo, is what is rude. I respect others and they have their rights to their beliefs and opinions. bothers me not if they want to force themselves and their beliefs on others...have at it...just don't do it to me. And, just for the record I have not once stated what my beliefs are. lolol and will not.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”