Why do religions have to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
zoo
Übergod

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by zoo »

[/quote]
Why do you think one religion is "right"?[/quote]

Ya your right, but I didn't want to throw that possibility out to them.
Last edited by zoo on Jan 4th, 2014, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

zoo wrote:Excellent, I myself would be a little more cautious about my own religion. I mean only 1 religion out there is right which means a good dozen of em have it or some of it wrong? I don't like the odds....I would keep it to myself....

The higher possibility is none of them are right.

Religions try to convert people so they have more money put in the collection plate every Sunday...it's all a scam!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Bsuds wrote:The higher possibility is none of them are right.

Religions try to convert people so they have more money put in the collection plate every Sunday...it's all a scam!

You may have noticed that I have no use for religion, but I do see a lot of people who do need them. Otherwise, there wouldn't be of many of them. They serve a purpose for those who need them. Not everybody is strong enough to stand on their own. Not everybody believes in themselves and need someone or something other to believe in. Many have come to religion during a traumatic period in their lives. It helped them cope with sometimes overwhelming emotional turmoil. So, for them, it was beneficial. It was a lifesaver. Many never let go of the lifesaver. I feel for them, I really do.

I have been to hell and back in my life. I have had 6 near death experiences. But I had faith in myself and never needed outside help, but I do have empathy for those who do. My main point in posting on these threads is to show those still clinging to lifesavers that there is life beyond lifesavers, that learning to swim in the stream of life can be far more rewarding.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Bsuds wrote:
The higher possibility is none of them are right.

Well thought out.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cliffy1 wrote: My main point in posting on these threads is to show those still clinging to lifesavers that there is life beyond lifesavers, that learning to swim in the stream of life can be far more rewarding.

What you call swimming, another might well characterize as drifting.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:What you call swimming, another might well characterize as drifting.

Drifting requires very little effort on your part. Swimming does.
Do you really know where you are going? I know you think you do because you believe what is written in a very old book, but do you really know? Believing is not knowing. Are we here just to find our way home or is there something bigger that we are supposed to be accomplishing with our lives?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

There is business which is to get people to join as a customer, but then there is spirituality which is one's souls journey. A man who helps another man, does so out the goodness of his heart.

A man who is only interested in converting people to their business, only wants to make money off of them. One need not convert anyone and still be spiritual and have faith. A good saying is "There are many paths to the top of the mountain. You need not follow any particular one to reach the top." As we all have our strength, each one of us different. Thus so are our beliefs.

It is only when one tries to convince one's way is better than another's way does it turn into business and money.

Although one need money and resources to fulfill one's desires, one's faith (one's beliefs) does not necessarily need money per se. Thus in my opinion, people who try to convert people only want to make money off you.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

alexoliversen wrote: A good saying is "There are many paths to the top of the mountain. You need not follow any particular one to reach the top." As we all have our strength, each one of us different. Thus so are our beliefs.

A saying that doesn't come close to jiving with what's written in the Bible.

Matthew 7:13  “Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Removed. Might be taken out of context.
Last edited by alexoliversen on Jan 26th, 2014, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Best of luck to you.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Thanks! I'll need it, cause I still have a long way to go. :P

Peace out!
Last edited by alexoliversen on Jan 26th, 2014, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronnewman

Post by ronnewman »

The thing is that religions don't convert people, and don't even try to convert people. People convert people because they feel some drive or need to save others or expect them to be different. The core essence of the great avatars of history and their teachings has been a love and complete acceptance. They believed in sharing their experience and understanding of this love, and if people found it useful they were happy. They never forced anything on anyone, and always gave people the option of free will. This is common among all great spiritual teachers of the past from all manner of faith.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

ronnewman wrote:The thing is that religions don't convert people, and don't even try to convert people. People convert people because they feel some drive or need to save others or expect them to be different. The core essence of the great avatars of history and their teachings has been a love and complete acceptance. They believed in sharing their experience and understanding of this love, and if people found it useful they were happy. They never forced anything on anyone, and always gave people the option of free will. This is common among all great spiritual teachers of the past from all manner of faith.

Welcome to the forum Ron. I like your take on things.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

ronnewman wrote:The thing is that religions don't convert people, and don't even try to convert people..

Can't agree with that at all - have you ever read the LDS literature?
Their 'missionaries' ( 18 year old kids ) are groomed from childhood for one purpose - to go out and convert people.
It is their church, their religion, telling them this is what they must do to serve their lord and be obedient servants.
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

What happened to sharing in knowledge and truths? Why do people have to buy all truths from any one religion(aka. convert)? Shouldn't it be based upon whether each truth is true or not? If the truths we say are not always true we need to find a way to discern them. Buying whole heartedly into one religion allows you faith and belief, but does not allow you to discern what is true. It is a common problem among cults, as those who join lack better judgement easily get lured into a false sense of faith where they go kill themselves or do some terrorist attack on people.

I for one think it's better to have multiple faiths in a community, it allows for different truths to occur, thus it keeps us honest and away from cult like activities.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”