Did Jesus visit Glastonbury England?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Did Jesus visit Glastonbury England?

Post by averagejoe »

Years ago GrammaFreddy mentioned that Jesus could have possibly gone to England. Having studying the subject since, I have come to the conclusion he did actually visited Britain during his missing years and set up church in Glastonbury with his Great Uncle Joseph of Arimathea.

Here is a BBC article. I will post much more later...

Among the places Jesus is said to have visited are Penzance, Falmouth, St-Just-in-Roseland and Looe, which are all in Cornwall, as well as Glastonbury in Somerset - which has particular legends about Jesus.

"St Augustine wrote to the Pope to say he'd discovered a church in Glastonbury built by followers of Jesus. But St Gildas (a 6th-Century British cleric) said it was built by Jesus himself. It's a very very ancient church which went back perhaps to AD37."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8380511.stm
Last edited by averagejoe on Mar 16th, 2014, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Did Jesus visit Glastonbury England?

Post by Bsuds »

averagejoe wrote:It's a very very ancient church which went back perhaps to AD37."

I though AD stood for "After Death"?

So Jesus built this church 37 years after his death?

Wow, another miracle!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Bsuds wrote: I though AD stood for "After Death"?

So Jesus built this church 37 years after his death?

Wow, another miracle!

That's 37 years after his birth. Like this year is 2014 AD. 2014 years after his birth.

Definition: A.D. is a Latin abbreviation for Anno Domini 'in the year of our Lord,' or, more fully, anno domini nostri Jesu Christi 'the year of our Lord Jesus Christ.'

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/time/g/AD.htm

Just for your information...and others.
Last edited by averagejoe on Mar 7th, 2014, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Another miracle is that a guy who never existed could build a church.

Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

cliffy1 wrote:Another miracle is that a guy who never existed could build a church.

Another grainy video. You still haven't answered my question as to how Armenia became the first Christian nation in 301AD?

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Here Cliffy.....How did this happen if Jesus was a myth?

http://www.welcomearmenia.com/armenia/f ... ian_nation

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Joseph of Arimathea

Joseph of ArimatheaStories of a sacred vessel dear to the Celts became entwined with the story of Christ's Last Supper and the Christian Holy Grail which inspired quests and crusades across England, Europe and the Far East.

The Glastonbury and Somerset legends involve the boy Jesus together with his Great-Uncle, Joseph of Arimathea building Glastonbury's first wattle and daub church. These legends gave rise to the continuing cult of the Virgin on the site of the present Lady Chapel and inspired the title 'Our Lady St. Mary of Glastonbury', which is still used today.

After the crucifixion of Jesus lore has it that Joseph of Arimathea (who according to the Bible donated his own tomb for Christ's interment after the Crucifixion) came to Britain, bearing the Holy Grail - the cup used by Christ at the Last Supper and later by Joseph to catch his blood at the crucifixion.

When Joseph landed on the island of Avalon, he set foot on Wearyall Hill - just below the Tor. Exhausted, he thrust his staff into the ground, and rested. By morning, his staff had taken root - leaving a strange oriental thorn bush - the sacred Glastonbury Thorn.

For safe keeping, Joseph is said to have buried the Holy Grail just below the Tor at the entrance to the Underworld. Shortly after he had done this, a spring, now known as Chalice Well, flowed forth and the water that emerged brought eternal youth to whosoever would drink it.

Intertwining the myths and legends of Glastonbury Abbey's history, it is widely believed that finding The Holy Grail Joseph is said to have hidden was years later the purpose behind the quests of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

http://www.glastonburyabbey.com/arimath ... &rpn=myths

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

averagejoe wrote:That's 37 years after his birth. Like this year is 2014 AD. 2014 years after his birth.

From what I can find he was born sometime within -7 to -2 BC and lived for approx 35 years. So the consensus is that he would not have been alive in 37AD.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Jesus Staff turns into the Holy Thorn Tree...in Glastonbury England.

According to legend, Saint Joseph travelled to the spot after Christ was crucified, taking with him the Holy Grail of Arthurian folklore.

He is said to have stuck his wooden staff – which had belonged to Jesus – into the ground on Wearyall Hill before he went to sleep. When he awoke it had sprouted into a thorn tree, which became a natural shrine for Christians across Europe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2vIWd8Itk

As a Christian symbol, it seems appropriate that its resurrection took place in time for Easter.

Glastonbury's Holy Thorn tree began to show new buds this week, three months after it was savagely cut down by vandals.

According to legend, Joseph of Arimathea – who some say was Jesus's great-uncle – travelled to Wearyall Hill after the Crucifixion and stuck a wooden staff belonging to Jesus into the ground before he went to sleep.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2vIX1Z8hs

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Bsuds wrote:From what I can find he was born sometime within -7 to -2 BC and lived for approx 35 years. So the consensus is that he would not have been alive in 37AD.

Yes you are correct that he wouldn't have been alive in 37AD as he was 33 years old when he was crucified.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

averagejoe wrote:Jesus Staff turns into the Holy Thorn Tree...in Glastonbury England.

According to legend
, Saint Joseph travelled to the spot after Christ was crucified, taking with him the Holy Grail of Arthurian folklore.

leg·end
[ léjjənd ]

old story: a story that has been passed down for generations, especially one that is presented as history but is unlikely to be true
old stories: a group of stories presented as history but unlikely to be true
modern myth: a popular myth that has arisen in modern times

synonyms: fable, myth, fairy tale, tale, lore, folklore, folk tale
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

averagejoe wrote:Another grainy video. You still haven't answered my question as to how Armenia became the first Christian nation in 301AD?

If you would bother to watch the (not grainy) video, you would not have to ask that silly question.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Yes Legend with back up.......

This thread is about the possibility of Jesus in Glastonbury. You can start your very own thread about whether Jesus is a myth or legend. Keep on topic. Thanks.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

cliffy1 wrote:If you would bother to watch the (not grainy) video, you would not have to ask that silly question.

Actually, I would like you to answer it. But back on topic. We already know your fable of Jesus is a myth rants. You and Bsuds can start a new "Jesus is a myth" thread. I would love to debate that...

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”