Near death experiences the new religion?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
spiritualteachers

Near death experiences the new religion?

Post by spiritualteachers »

I don't know how many have studied NDE's but in my opinion after studying them it seems to contradict religious scriptures. Not to mention I've not heard one mention of the bible in someones near death experience which shows it has no importance in the big picture.

The importance seems to be focused on loving each other as a family and compassionate acts.

Rather than a biblical judgement the bible talks about you judge yourself for your negative actions by having to endure the negative side effects by a third party perspective.

There is a huge archive of interviews of people who have had NDE's here: https://www.youtube.com/user/NDEaccounts/videos

I'd love to hear if anyone here has had similar experiences or know of anyone! I know they have IANDS groups around, like support groups is there anything like this in this area?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: Near Death Experiences the new religion?

Post by cliffy1 »

Rather a strange title for the OP. I can't see how it could be a religion. I have had several near death experiences and you are correct about there being no mention of the bible. It never enters into the picture, nor does Jesus or god. But I am curious as to why you used the word religion in the OP.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
spiritualteachers

Post by spiritualteachers »

cliffy1 wrote:Rather a strange title for the OP. I can't see how it could be a religion. I have had several near death experiences and you are correct about there being no mention of the bible. It never enters into the picture, nor does Jesus or god. But I am curious as to why you used the word religion in the OP.

You are right, bad title as it really has nothing to do with religion at all. There is some that see Jesus that are usually christian, but non believers and children that just see a light being which makes me think we are just given a face that is most comfortable.

I'd like to hear about your experience cliffy!
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

spiritualteachers wrote:You are right, bad title as it really has nothing to do with religion at all. There is some that see Jesus that are usually christian, but non believers and children that just see a light being which makes me think we are just given a face that is most comfortable.

I'd like to hear about your experience cliffy!

We see what we are willing to see and accept. The same is true of angels, gnomes, fairies and demons. How we perceive is completely based on our beliefs, in life and in death.

I did not see anyone when I flat lined. I was at peace, there was no pain but I was aware of another presence that gave me a choice to either continue on this path or go back to my body. This happened twice, one after being hit by a logging truck doing 95 km/hr on my snowmobile and once when I had a heart attack. Obviously, I chose to come back. I've also been poisoned twice.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

To come back from death twice is amazing cliffy. When you consider that Jesus was only resurrected once maybe cliffy is the new massaih. At least title makes sense now.

IMO when the brain finally dies so does the soul. I've seen it happen in living people with brain trauma. The heart doesn't need to be pumping for the brain to be aware enough to play out those last moments, or for you to have a memory of those moments. Some talk about the hormone DMT being released upon death (and birth) is what leads to the life altering visions. Fascinating to me, has anyone tried DMT?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

My understanding about NDE's is similar to Cliffy's, that they are like spiritual/religious experiences in the fact that they take on qualities of the language and beliefs of the experiencer. A Christian quite often experiences contact with "Jesus", a Hindu likely experiences contact with one of the many Hindu gods, shamans experience plants spirits, and so on; whereas an atheist likely will not but sometimes can. These experiences then bolster the beliefs of the person who experienced them, "proving" their religion to be the true one.

Regarding DMT, it is not a hormone but naturally occurring neurotransmitter. *removed*
Last edited by Merry on Apr 19th, 2014, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate promotion of mind altering substance
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

What a sad but accurate reflection of our society - removing my post giving experiential insight of the workings of our own bodies and natural compounds found within. This would not happen in a discussion in a neuro-chemistry class but it seems only on a forum embedded in a culture duped into believing erroneous drug war propaganda that promotes ignorance of our own consciousness and genuflection to fools in power.

There is nothing at all "bad" about the discussion of chemicals in our own bodies, but is there not in the attempt to withhold information concerning our health?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

power trip newby.....3..2..1..gone
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I guess merry will be busy cleaning up all the MJ threads.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

You guys are welcome to do and say whatever you like; just not on this public forum.

Now please get back on topic, because criticizing the moderator's decision is also against the rules.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 19th, 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: If you have a question re moderation, contact the moderator via PM.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 19th, 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 21st, 2014, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: challenged moderator decision
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

*try posting on topic!*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 22nd, 2014, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

I would have loved to have had the opportunity to continue reading sneaksuit's post, I found the poster very interesting and intelligent and I was quite surprised to find his/her message cut short.

Very disappointing.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”