Pregnant woman gets death for Christianity

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Pregnant woman gets death for Christianity

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

Pregnant woman sentenced to death for converting to Christianity

Published 16 May 2014 07:27 AM

A Sudanese court has sentenced a 27-year-old woman to death for converting to Christianity, judicial sources said.

Mariam Yahya Ibrahim had been ordered to abandon her newly adopted Christian faith and return to Islam. She had also been charged with adultery for marrying a Christian man.

Judge Abbas al Khalifa asked Ibrahim whether she would return to Islam. After she said "I am a Christian," the death sentence was handed down, the judicial sources said.

It's understood the woman is pregnant with her second child - her eldest child is 20 months old.

A government spokesman said the ruling could be appealed in a higher court.

"Sudan is committed to all human rights and freedom of faith granted in Sudan by the constitution and law," Foreign Ministry spokesman Abu-Bakr Al-Siddiq said. He added that his ministry trusted the integrity and independence of the judiciary.

Outside the court, around 50 people held up signs that read "Freedom of Religion", while some Islamists celebrated the ruling, chanting "God is Greatest."

The United States called on Sudan to respect the religious freedom guaranteed in its own constitution.

"We strongly condemn this sentence and urge the Government of Sudan to meet its obligations under international human rights law," White House National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement Thursday evening.

Students have mounted a series of protests near Khartoum University in recent weeks asking for more freedoms and better social and economic conditions.

Western embassies and Sudanese activists have condemned what they said were human rights abuses and called on the Islamist-led government to respect freedom of faith.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/*bleep* ... 4GDPE.dpuf
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Re: Pregnant woman gets death for Christianity

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

I have yet to see how Islam is a religion of peace that people keep saying. Nothing about it is peaceful.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

it would seem our concerns have not gone unheard...

(CNN) -- A Sudanese woman has been freed from prison a month after being sentenced to die by hanging for refusing to renounce her Christian faith.

"I am a Christian," Meriam Yehya Ibrahim told the judge at her sentencing hearing in May, "and I will remain a Christian."
An appeals court in Sudan ruled that a lower court's judgment against the 27-year-old was faulty, her lawyer, Mohaned Mustafa El-Nour, said Monday. He declined to elaborate.

An international controversy erupted over Ibraham's conviction in May by a Sudanese court on charges of apostasy, or the renunciation of faith, and adultery. Ibrahim was eight months pregnant when was sentenced to suffer 100 lashes and then be hanged.

"I'm so frustrated. I don't know what to do," her husband, Daniel Wani told CNN in May. "I'm just praying." Wani, uses a wheelchair and "totally depends on her for all details of his life," Ibrahim's lawyer said.

Ibrahim was reunited with her husband after getting out of custody, her lawyer said Monday.

Ibrahim gave birth to a girl in a prison last month, two weeks after she was sentenced. She was in the women's prison with her 20-month-old son, but Sudanese officials said the toddler was free to leave at any time, according to her lawyer.
The criminal complaint filed by a brother, a Muslim, said her family was shocked to find out Ibrahim had married a Christian, U.S. citizen Daniel Wani, after she was missing for several years, according to her lawyer. A Muslim woman's marriage to a Christian man is not considered legal in Sudan, thus the adultery charge.

The apostasy charge came because Ibrahim proclaimed herself to be Christian, not Muslim. Her mother, an Ethiopian Orthodox, was abandoned by her Sudanese Muslim father when Ibrahim was just 6 and she was raised as a Christian, she said.

Sudanese Parliament speaker Fatih Izz Al-Deen defended the conviction last month, insisting that claims that Ibrahim was raised as non-Muslim are untrue. She was raised in an Islamic environment, Al-Deen said.
The lower court had warned Ibrahim to renounce her Christianity by May 15, but she held firm to her beliefs while her lawyer appealed the conviction and sentence.

Her sentence had drawn international condemnation from rights groups and foreign embassies in Khartoum, including those of the United States, United Kingdom and Canada.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/23/world/afr ... man-freed/
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:I have yet to see how Islam is a religion of peace that people keep saying. Nothing about it is peaceful.

Islamic Fundamentalism is one of the greatest global threats that exists right now.
Some very scary and barbaric stuff happening in the world in the name of Islam

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”