Silent Majority in Summerland: Urban Growth Strategy

Temporary forum for civic elections
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Silent Majority In Summerland - the Urban Growth Strateg

Post by fluffy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:myself and other farmers have traditionally favoured hiring young folk, and i am guessing any homes developed as a result of the possible swap will not be reasonably affordable to anyone other than those at or above the modal income level.

When I was growing up in Summerland I helped out on construction sites. The fact is that "affordability" in the housing market is a relative term. It has always been a big leap to get into the home ownership game in Summerland. Sure it's easy to tell the stories about our parents buying the relatively new three bedroom on a landscaped acre for $25K, but those were also the days where three bucks an hour was "big money". Rising real estate costs are an issue that spreads much wider than our little corner of the world, and a few acres coming out of the ALR is not going to affect it one way or the other. Lets not lose sight of the fact that this swap will result in a net gain of ALR land in Summerland.

i am obviously too attached to this issue to participate 'nicely' so i am going to bow out and wait until the alc makes their decision on the matter :)

That, my young friend, is what we called a "cop out" in the old days.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:at least you are willing to come clean about the corrupt nature of summerland council, they were indeed 'inclined', slanted. the playing field was not level,the decision was not logical, unless one considers the selfish motives of council and those few that influenced them.

What council is corrupt or Mayor? Maybe the exception of one of them and his motives This is an outlandish example of pure slander, there is no facts/evidence based on your comments. People like you living here concern majority of us Summerland residents with this type of personality and behavior. We actually have proof of how the Stop the Swap group is corrupt in many ways. Here Mr Colombian, I will post this again just for your benefit. We have collected more evidence/data to prove that this group underline motivator is corrupt. Please dont come on these forums and slander good people of this community without factual evidence.

This is Stop the Swap's Facebook or they call it Save The Summerland ALR, this has been documented that these individuals are being recorded in all events in the social media circuit. Certain individuals are trying to target local business's and individuals, when most of our downtown core is a ghost town and struggling to survive. Stop the Swap wants to encourage people to stop shopping there boycotting, how is that helping Summerland? What is wrong with this group and their mentality? We have narrowed it down to one of the culprits and this person “S.S” is one of the biggest community bullies and is harassing residents. Even some of their own members are getting frustrated with her behavior. Remember, we will not allow this to continue.

Would the Stop the Swap like the Silent Majority to list the business here in Summerland that support this negative behavior, should we as well not shop at their stores or buy from those specific farmers? Even S.S has a local business her reputation could be at risk, with her type of negative, threatening behavior in our community. One should question what you communicate and demonstrate to our small town. We wont forget, we may eventually forgive.

Here is your so called righteous group activities, this is just one example. "The pot calling the kettle black"

I have edited the names, and businesses.

The is a recent discussion on their Facebook Page.

B. L.
April 29 at 7:23pm
I will let some business know that I will shop elsewhere!
4 people like this.

S. S.
Yes there are number people who support that idea. Best approach. Money talks.
April 29 at 7:30pm · Like · 2

J.D Do we have a list of business that supported the council
April 29 at 11:23pm · Like · 2

S. S. I actually don't believe there were any! Other than “Companies Name” which is owned by the “persons name” And then Councillor “persons name” business is “Companies Name”
April 30 at 6:03am · Like

J. C. hold on people....that will not help Summerland. Can we please talk about this?
April 30 at 6:26am · Like · 2

J. C. meanwhile, if you would like to get together a business plan to work some farmland, I am all for it.
April 30 at 6:27am · Like · 3

V. L. Wow. . . this page is being watched. Can we work at a solution rather than focusing on the negative? I'll work with you on a business plan,
April 30 at 8:27am · Like · 3

N. J. solutions, yes.
April 30 at 10:16am · Like · 1
“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”
NextGen
Fledgling

Post by NextGen »

y A_Britishcolumbian » Today, 4:32 am
myself and other farmers have traditionally favoured hiring young folk, and i am guessing any homes developed as a result of the possible swap will not be reasonably affordable to anyone other than those at or above the modal income level.

Really? See some posters . continuously send out misleading info, maybe years ago local farmers and vineyards hired locals. I know a few farmers that are still hiring locals which I applaud them. Unfortunately many Vineyard's and Farmers have taken the route since 2003 and hired temporary foreign workers piggybacking on the government subsidies and paying low wages. Local pickers were asking for decent living wages and these farmers/vineyards were not willing to pay those wages. Now that hurts our local economy, I would encourage those wealthy business's to pay locals and even the Quebec kids decent living wages. When we hire locals, they eat at our restaurants, shop at our groceries stores, and invest financially in our community. When you hire TFW they send the money back to their country and do not shop here or eat here or even live here. How does the Agricultural group support our community? Those residents already get reduction and subsidized in taxes and now they wont even employ our local kids and adults. Many of us want to see this change in Summerland.

This is taken form the website and if you look some of our Vineyards and Farmers are Registered on here for the TFW.

Work In Our Orchards

For employment opportunities click here for

<< Orchard Listings >> with contact

information about growers, by region, and

their orchards.

Cherry harvest usually starts in late June in Osoyoos, and gradually works its way north. Depending on how warm it has been onward from blossom time in April, the harvest date may vary 7-8 days from year to year. Harvest around Kelowna usually starts just about July 10. Harvest in the Winfield/ Okanagan Centre areas, as well as some of the higher elevations south of Kelowna, starts late July. In the Creston area harvest usually starts in late July and lasts through much of August. The season on each farm depends on the varieties of cherries grown, typically lasting anything from two to six weeks. During the most intense part of the season many growers will harvest daily, but try to take at least one day off per week, though this is not always possible.

Harvest is weather dependant, and ceases during periods of rain. Very prolonged rain may cause extensive "splitting" on the cherries - occasionally to the point where further harvesting is not economically viable.

TYPICAL HOURS OF WORK:

Picking crews generally work from sunrise until noon, depending on the heat. Packinghouse shifts generally start an hour or two later and run for 8 or 9 hours. Some orchards may run two shifts or picking crews come in after picking to do a short shift in the afternoon.

WAGES:

Wages vary from orchard to orchard but there is a minimum picking piecework rate of $2.25 per pail, including holiday pay. Packinghouse wages usually depend on experience and skill, most paying well above minimum wage for hourly jobs. Some packinghouses offer piecework pay systems for sorting.

WHO'S HIRING?

Grower members of the British Columbia Cherry Assocation are listed in the Orchards link. Most keep "lists" from year to year so be sure to make your contacts early with the individual orchardist. A few of the larger farms have their own linked websites to provide more details as to what to expect. Many growers have on-site camping facilities for their workers.

WORK VISAS

If you require information about working in Canada, click on the links below to obtain information regarding eligibility, working visas, working holidays and more. Information on Working Holiday visas is only available from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in the foreign country and there is a limited number available each year. Ages are up to 30 or 35 years and it is a one year term. Qualifying countries include New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Korea, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, Norway, UK, Sweden, Germany.

Working Temporarily in Canada - Canadian Immigration

Working Holiday Program - France

Working Holiday Program - New Zealand Citizens

Working Holiday Program - Australian citizens

Working Holiday Program - Korean and Japanese citizens

Working Holiday Program - Czech Republic citizens

Canada Immigration Foreign Worker Manual

BC LABOUR LAWS AND EMPLOYEE RIGHTS

Okanagan Kootenay Cherry Growers listed on our website strive to provide good employment conditions and terms or work in our orchards, and treat each other with respect and consideration. Good labour relations are important to us, and we encourage employers and employees to communicate openly, deal fairly with disputes, know and follow the laws. Employment terms are governed by the labour regulations of BC, with some special regulations applying to agriculuture. For more information go to Farm Workers' Fact Sheet . For assistance with serious legal problems such as non-payment of wages, employees may seek resolution through the BC Ministry of Labour -

Employment Standards local office:

102, 1690 Powick Road, Kelowna BC V1X 7G5
Phone: 250 861-7404 Facsimile: 250 861-7428

While the Association takes no responsibility for the conduct of our members, you may also voice concerns to the BC Cherry Association if our members are not living up to objectives.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:at least you are willing to come clean about the corrupt nature of summerland council, they were indeed 'inclined', slanted. the playing field was not level,the decision was not logical, unless one considers the selfish motives of council and those few that influenced them.

NextGen wrote:What council is corrupt or Mayor? Maybe the exception of one of them and his motives This is an outlandish example of pure slander, there is no facts/evidence based on your comments. People like you living here concern majority of us Summerland residents with this type of personality and behavior. We actually have proof of how the Stop the Swap group is corrupt in many ways. Here Mr Colombian, I will post this again just for your benefit. We have collected more evidence/data to prove that this group underline motivator is corrupt. Please dont come on these forums and slander good people of this community without factual evidence.

This is Stop the Swap's Facebook or they call it Save The Summerland ALR, this has been documented that these individuals are being recorded in all events in the social media circuit. Certain individuals are trying to target local business's and individuals, when most of our downtown core is a ghost town and struggling to survive. Stop the Swap wants to encourage people to stop shopping there boycotting, how is that helping Summerland? What is wrong with this group and their mentality? We have narrowed it down to one of the culprits and this person “S.S” is one of the biggest community bullies and is harassing residents. Even some of their own members are getting frustrated with her behavior. Remember, we will not allow this to continue.

Would the Stop the Swap like the Silent Majority to list the business here in Summerland that support this negative behavior, should we as well not shop at their stores or buy from those specific farmers? Even S.S has a local business her reputation could be at risk, with her type of negative, threatening behavior in our community. One should question what you communicate and demonstrate to our small town. We wont forget, we may eventually forgive.

Here is your so called righteous group activities, this is just one example. "The pot calling the kettle black"

B. L.
4 people like this.

S. S.
Yes there are number people who support that idea. Best approach. Money talks.

S. S. I actually don't believe there were any! Other than “Companies Name” which is owned by the “persons name” And then Councillor “persons name” business is “Companies Name”

J. C. hold on people....that will not help Summerland. Can we please talk about this?

J. C. meanwhile, if you would like to get together a business plan to work some farmland, I am all for it.

V. L. Wow. . . this page is being watched. Can we work at a solution rather than focusing on the negative? I'll work with you on a business plan,

N. J. solutions, yes.

Again? You keep repeating yourself. Wow! Cut and paste. Is that all you can do? See below.

by NextGen » May 14th, 2014, 9:00 am

This is Stop the Swap's Facebook or they call it Save The Summerland ALR, this has been documented that these individuals are being recorded in all events in the social media circuit. Certain individuals are trying to target local business's, when most of our downtown core is a ghost town and struggling to survive. Stop the Swap wants to encourage people to stop shopping there, how is that helping Summerland? What is wrong with this group and their mentality? We have narrowed it down to one of the culprits and this person “S.S” is one of the biggest community bullies and is harassing residents. Even some of their own members are getting frustrated with her behavior. Remember, we will not allow this to continue.

Would the Stop the Swap like the Silent Majority to list the business here in Summerland that support this negative behavior, should we as well not shop at their stores? Even S.S has a local business her reputation could be at risk, with her type of negative, threatening behavior in our community. One should question what you communicate and demonstrate to our small town. We wont forget, we may eventually forgive.

B. L.
4 people like this.

S. S. Yes there are number people who support that idea. Best approach. Money talks.

N. J. solutions, yes.
Last edited by NextGen on May 14th, 2014, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 people like this post.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Argue the points, not the person.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

fluffy wrote:Argue the points, not the person.

Where was that comment when Nextgen said that I was repeating myself?

Sorry, leads to credibility of the witness Your Honor.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I disagree. From where I sit it just highlights the swap-stoppers penchant for choosing character assassination over constructive debate. There are plenty of examples right here in this thread where salient points are met not with counterpoints, but criticism of a personal nature. Is is that the case is weak on your side of the fence or are you just a bunch of nasty people?

I suppose that's no real surprise. One of the root issues here that I have mentioned a few times (and have not yet heard any response to) is that of one group forcing their personal agendas on another group, to be more precise the swap stoppers want control of what other people do with their land while neatly sidestepping any responsibility for the costs involved. There is some nobility in saving farm land, but in this case that nobility is an unaffordable luxury when put up against the simple logic of directing future growth into logical locations. You cry about the future of farming in general but no one is stepping up to the plate to farm the land in the exclusion zone that currently lays fallow or exists of out-dated, low productivity orchards. Answer me that and we'll have a discussion.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Go back a few pages. I'll say it again. I am not part of the stop the swap group and I have no political affiliations.
nextgen accused me of repeating myself, and all he/she does is copy and paste his/her comments over and over again. Not very savvy for someone that purports themselves to be part of the younger generation. His/her style is more senior oriented.

Anyway, this land "exchange" will likely go ahead anyway. The fix was in as soon as the crooked politicians became involved.
rkillick

Post by rkillick »

Anonymous123 wrote:Go back a few pages. I'll say it again. I am not part of the stop the swap group and I have no political affiliations.
nextgen accused me of repeating myself, and all he/she does is copy and paste his/her comments over and over again. Not very savvy for someone that purports themselves to be part of the younger generation. His/her style is more senior oriented.

Anyway, this land "exchange" will likely go ahead anyway. The fix was in as soon as the crooked politicians became involved.

Oh please, I await your evidence of "crooked politicians" with baited breath... Oh you have zero evidence? You won't even be specific about who is crooked? Then why say it? Do you think if enough people believe something it makes it true, or that there is evidence, paperwork, and proof required when accusing a public figure of being "crooked"?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'll second that. Suspicion and innuendo are worth exactly squat, so they're not a particularly good substitute for fact. Even a decently reasoned theory would be some basis for discussion, if you have one.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Do we need to discuss the landfill contract?
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

....."Anyway, this land "exchange" will likely go ahead anyway......"

Of course it will-it's what the people want. Suck it up.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Anonymous123 wrote:Do we need to discuss the landfill contract?

You can discuss whatever you like, after all this is a discussion forum. All you need to is make some effort to stay on topic. Since your accusation appeared in this thread I just assumed there was some connection with the OCP/ALR issue. Am I incorrect in that assumption?
antelee
Fledgling

Post by antelee »

He's (or she) is trying to change the subject (a clear indication of being backed into a corner and running out of inane comments) Janice Perrino's husband has the contract to run the operation of the landfill. Anonymous must be or know a mole at City Hall. Has anyone else heard that the landfill contract is up for renewal?
Or is Anonymous just throwing darts in the dark?
Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

antelee wrote:He's (or she) is trying to change the subject (a clear indication of being backed into a corner and running out of inane comments) Janice Perrino's husband has the contract to run the operation of the landfill. Anonymous must be or know a mole at City Hall. Has anyone else heard that the landfill contract is up for renewal?
Or is Anonymous just throwing darts in the dark?

The last contract renewal did not go out for tender. It was awarded to the "current" operator.
We all know who that is, but I digress, carry on with your "I want to get my land out of the ALR" discussion.
It makes for humorous reading.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”