Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Quickmansam

Question to Atheists

Post by Quickmansam »

I'm not an Atheist. And personally I do not understand people who proclaim themselves Atheist.

My question is, why are you an Atheist? What brought you to this conclusion?
WhatThe

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by WhatThe »

A long response warranted to broad question.
Why don't you understand? Do you believe in Thor? Or Zeus? Is it that hard to grasp of atheists not to buy into yet another "god"?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The complete lack of evidence supporting a deity.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

no mirrors in your house jennylives? :) no birds outside your window?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I have mirrors and birds, what is your point?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

how can life 'be', exist, in the absence of a god? god is the force, power, creator of life. to not believe in a god is to not believe in one's own existence.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

There are thousands of ways that people perceive the divine/gods/goddesses. Atheists don't believe in one less god than you do. Someone who believes in Thor probably thinks you are an atheist too. What makes you think your god is the one and only true god, you religion the only true religion? Do you not think that that kind of attitude and belief makes you look like you think you are superior to everyone else? The question itself is arrogant and demeaning.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:how can life 'be', exist, in the absence of a god? god is the force, power, creator of life. to not believe in a god is to not believe in one's own existence.

Would you consider Mother Earth a god(ess)? Does the divine necessarily have to be a god? Is the Universe a god?

Have you ever walked on a rock beach and marveled at the incredible variety of stones you find? All are unique (like people). Calling something a rock does not give justice to all those unique rocks that you see. Calling the divine, in all its infinite variety of expressions a god, is no different. God is a word that does not do divinity justice. It is more like an insult.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:how can life 'be', exist, in the absence of a god? god is the force, power, creator of life. to not believe in a god is to not believe in one's own existence.

I don't know but it happens because we are here. Why do you need an immediate answer to that question? We've only had computers for a blip in time, be patient man.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

** Deleted because there is no point in attempting a real conversation on this topic.
Last edited by coffeeFreak on May 29th, 2014, 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I'm not an Creationist. And personally I do not understand people who proclaim themselves Creationist.

My question is, why are you an Creationist? What brought you to this conclusion?
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

**Deleted**
Last edited by coffeeFreak on May 29th, 2014, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Most atheists I know were brought up in religion and when they reached the age of reason, decided that there was no evidence in their lives to justify the belief in god. I went through that stage in my late teens, early twenties. At 26 I moved to BC and lived in the forest. It was then that I experienced a different view of the divine, a more personal experience that did not mesh with my religious upbringing. But I was a staunch atheist for most of my young life, probably because what I was told and what I experienced were completely hypocritical. Atheism for me was a rebellion against authority, my dad, the church and a god I could only see as a psychopath. I still think the biblical god is a psychopath, or at least a fabrication of the psychopathic humans who invented it.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

We are all born atheist it's the default setting,until told otherwise.
I cannot believe just as you can't unbelieve.
Just play with your god toys at home or church not out in public,it's tiresome.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:no mirrors in your house jennylives? :) no birds outside your window?

Such a typical boring response.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”