Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by 1nick »

Seems there is a god after all and he/she works at thee Imperial College of London.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

averagejoe wrote:Can you expand on how man created Christianity?

Who wrote the words of your god?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

What's fascinating is if you are an atheist, you are likely to believe that something the size of a golf ball could expand into billions of stars and planets, and that all the elements that made up this golf ball-sized object have been here forever with no beginning. Why people who would not believe in higher power would easily believe that is astounding in itself.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I find it astounding that so many believe a deity came from nothing to create everything from nothing.
Perhaps the big bang is a cyclical event that has always been.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

zzontar wrote:What's fascinating is if you are an atheist, you are likely to believe that something the size of a golf ball could expand into billions of stars and planets, and that all the elements that made up this golf ball-sized object have been here forever with no beginning. Why people who would not believe in higher power would easily believe that is astounding in itself.

What some do is, divide this into two areas so they don't feel the need to reconcile the how did life come from nothing part and instead concentrate on minute changes in bacteria that they say proves every single thing evolved.

Lets do a check: Monkeys? Still monkeys. Lizards are still lizards. Fish are still fish. Fossil record, no intermediate species found.

Survival of the fittest? Hardly, has anyone else noticed that mankind seems to be getting worse? Wheres my gills? They sure would have come in handy at times. Wings? They would have been nice. Eagle vision, very good to have. Actually mankind is far weaker than gorillas. Of course I could always ask any of the monkeys who are almost human by now what they think? Oh right, they're still monkeys. No half, intermediate species anywhere to be found.

oh and the fossil record is massive and full of fossils according to their kinds. If there are some fossils some say prove we evolved, they would have to point to an extremely small amount of them.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

^^^^^just silly^^^^^^^
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

1nick wrote:I find it astounding that so many believe a deity came from nothing to create everything from nothing.
Perhaps the big bang is a cyclical event that has always been.

Okay, then you tell me... did all the elements that make up everything exist forever with no beginning, or did they appear from nothing?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

I haven't the foggiest and nor do you.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

1nick wrote:I haven't the foggiest and nor do you.

Nor does science but they insist they just happened. Weird, sounds like faith to me.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm wrote:Nor does science but they insist they just happened. Weird, sounds like faith to me.

That's not quite true - science keeps trying to understand why something happened. Just because science says this happened does not mean we understand why it happened or what was there before but science keeps trying to understand those questions. Religion on the other hand just says that this happened and that's that and you are expected to accept that as it is the "truth".
Last edited by Dizzy1 on May 29th, 2014, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Hmmm wrote:What some do is, divide this into two areas so they don't feel the need to reconcile the how did life come from nothing part and instead concentrate on minute changes in bacteria that they say proves every single thing evolved.

Lets do a check: Monkeys? Still monkeys. Lizards are still lizards. Fish are still fish. Fossil record, no intermediate species found.

Survival of the fittest? Hardly, has anyone else noticed that mankind seems to be getting worse? Wheres my gills? They sure would have come in handy at times. Wings? They would have been nice. Eagle vision, very good to have. Actually mankind is far weaker than gorillas. Of course I could always ask any of the monkeys who are almost human by now what they think? Oh right, they're still monkeys. No half, intermediate species anywhere to be found.

oh and the fossil record is massive and full of fossils according to their kinds. If there are some fossils some say prove we evolved, they would have to point to an extremely small amount of them.

The fact that you said "monkeys" literally means you know nothing of evolution. Seriously, monkeys? Forever more you have no relevance with opinion to evolution. You are embarrassingly wrong.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i know bunnies and squirrels have remained essentially unchanged for about 250 million years or more. it seems like once the design reaches a threshold of perfection it stops evolving.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

1nick wrote:I haven't the foggiest and nor do you.

Are you saying you do or don't believe the big bang theory as presented by science?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

WhatThe wrote:The fact that you said "monkeys" literally means you know nothing of evolution. Seriously, monkeys? Forever more you have no relevance with opinion to evolution. You are embarrassingly wrong.
the fact that you don't seem to have enough common sense to understand my point is another story. Regardless of the primate, they are STILL primates. Understand my point now? There are no half primate and humans. Don't over think it. There are none, it's simple.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

zzontar wrote:Are you saying you do or don't believe the big bang theory as presented by science?

Well it seems to be the best theory so far but,that can be amended.
That is what's great about science.

Anyone applying something from nothing or forever to the big bang can just as easily apply it to a god.
It's an answer we just won't get.

Prying your god from the pages of a dusty tomb?...well I think we all know the answer to that,even the devout do but,are afraid to admit it.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”