Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Bsuds »

Hmmm wrote: There are no half primate and humans. Don't over think it. There are none, it's simple.

Not too sure about that as some people seem to be at that intelligence level. Just read some of the posts on Castanet lately.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

So much information available on the theory of evolution.
Evolution for dummies for a start.
I won't bother providing a link. The opponents of that theory won't bother to click for fear of bursting into flames.
Their god would not be pleased.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

1nick wrote:Well it seems to be the best theory so far but,that can be amended.
That is what's great about science.

Anyone applying something from nothing or forever to the big bang can just as easily apply it to a god.
It's an answer we just won't get.

Prying your god from the pages of a dusty tomb?...well I think we all know the answer to that,even the devout do but,are afraid to admit it.

Even scientists admit there would have had to be an outside force to start the big bang as time didn't even exist. We have people on this planet who live in rain forests and their greatest invention is fire... we can turn light into matter... I'd imagine a being millions of years more advanced would seem as God-like... it's good to keep an open mind... even about eventually getting it.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

An outside force doesn't equate to a deity.
Eventually getting "it" will be got there by science not religion,if at all.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

1nick wrote:An outside force doesn't equate to a deity.
Eventually getting "it" will be got there by science not religion,if at all.

You're saying for sure it wasn't a deity and that a deity cannot be scientifically explained. I'm saying it's a possibility.

Edit: I'm sure the tribespeople in the Amazon would think turning light into matter could never be scientifically explained either.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Sure it's possible,unlikely but,possible.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

WhatThe wrote:The fact that you said "monkeys" literally means you know nothing of evolution. Seriously, monkeys? Forever more you have no relevance with opinion to evolution. You are embarrassingly wrong.

Hmmm wrote:the fact that you don't seem to have enough common sense to understand my point is another story. Regardless of the primate, they are STILL primates. Understand my point now? There are no half primate and humans. Don't over think it. There are none, it's simple.

Oh I understand what you're trying to say, it's still embarrassingly wrong. For example, half primate half human, aside from the fact monkeys are of the same genus but along their own evolutionary path( some 230 different species), humans are part of primate line following our own evolutionary path. What do you expect to see, humans with tails?
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Quickmansam wrote:I'm not an Atheist. And personally I do not understand people who proclaim themselves Atheist.

My question is, why are you an Atheist? What brought you to this conclusion?

Just as the label 'Christian' isn't a one size fits all title...neither is atheist.
I don't call myself an atheist. I simply don't believe in god, Jesus, the bible or religion.
If someone can provide undeniable proof some day....I'd have no problem admitting I was wrong. ( not holding my breath though )

Just as you can not understand how anyone can proclaim not to believe....I have the exact same problem trying to understand how anyone possibly could - at least anyone who is intelligent and well educated.
That's no more an insult or put down than your comment/opinion.

What brought me to the conclusion that I don't believe in god ?
There is no proof, no viable evidence to suggest that he/it exists.
It has nothing to do with religion/church not 'teaching me' properly...I just always had a problem with buying what they were selling - for as long as I can remember, going back to childhood. None of it made sense, none of it was plausible or believable.
Noahs Ark, the parting of the Red Sea, the garden of Eden, Adam and Eve, the Virgin Mary giving birth to god's son, Jesus raising from the dead....all fairy tales and bulltweet.
I'd say what brought me to this conclusion is simple really....reading the bible and learning about religion - that's all it took.

Religion/Gods/Myths/mysteries....they all had their time and place. They served to explain the world before we had the education and technology to know what caused thunder and lightening, disease, drought, earthquakes and floods. That purpose has long since been replaced by science and research.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Really, You want me to prove that Jesus existed? He is the Son of God?

jesus was early mans way of explaing the sun, and if you knew anything about quantum mechanics , you would understand how something can come from nothing :P
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

lakevixen wrote: jesus was early mans way of explaing the sun, and if you knew anything about quantum mechanics , you would understand how something can come from nothing :P

No I don't know about quantum mechanics? Please explain.....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

]
averagejoe wrote:The God of Israel sent his own representative in Jesus the Christ. That's a start.

jennylives wrote:Prove it. That is most certainly not a start.

That Jesus the Christ existed. If you had went into some of my postings in other threads regarding Chrits, there are lots of historical proof he existed.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We know Abraham Lincoln existed. That doesn't mean he was a vampire killer.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

it would depend on your criterion for 'vampire' :)
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

averagejoe wrote:
That Jesus the Christ existed. If you had went into some of my postings in other threads regarding Chrits, there are lots of historical proof he existed.

There may well be scattered evidence in non-Christian writings of a man named Jesus who was crucified in the same time period. No doubt there was more than one guy named Jesus. No doubt he could well have been crucified...a pretty standard punishment for the Romans to inflict.
It is entirely possible that a Jewish Palestinian named Jesus became a preacher, teaching the word of God, helping the poor, creating enough of a cult following to start making Rome nervous.
But there is NO PROOF outside of the bible and Christian teachings that Jesus Christ, son of God....was ever, well...the son of God. NONE.

Evidence for the historical existence of Jesus of Nazareth (the Christ) as portrayed in the Bible is only found in three places: the Bible itself, other early Christian writings, and references by the various early churches (c. 100 CE) to the long dead leader of those churches. The only known possible contemporaneous (i.e. someone who lived during the supposed time of circa 6 BCE to circa 36 CE) source regarding Jesus is Paul who expressly states that he got his information through revelation, not any human being.[1]

Historians focusing on this era generally accept that there was likely an individual named Jesus who lived in Palestine roughly two millennia ago, had a very small following of people studying his views, was killed by the government, and whose life became pivotal to some of the world's largest religions.[2] Beyond this, however, there is no evidence over the accuracy of any of the descriptions of his life, as described in the Bible or as understood by his believers. A small minority, past[3] and present[4] believe there is insufficient justification to assume any individual human seed for the stories, representing an extreme in the other end of belief. It should be noted that at least one anthropology paper states in both its abstract and main text "there is not a shred of evidence that a historical character Jesus lived"[5]

7. Celsus: Christ the Magician
Famed NeoPlatonist writer Celsus composed an attack on Christianity titled True Doctrine (Aληθῆς Λόγoς). Early Church Father Origen discussed Celsus’ claims:

Celsus portrays the Jew having a conversation with Jesus himself, refuting him on many charges. First, he fabricated the story of his birth from a virgin; and he reproaches him because he came from a Jewish village and from a poor country woman who made her living by spinning. He says that she was driven out by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, when she was convicted of adultery. Then he says that after she had been driven out by her husband and while she was wandering disgracefully, she secretly bore Jesus. He says that because (Jesus) was poor he hired himself out as a laborer in Egypt, and there learned certain magical powers which the Egyptians are proud to have. He returned full of pride in these powers, and gave himself the title of God.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

jennylives wrote:We know Abraham Lincoln existed. That doesn't mean he was a vampire killer.

So how did we get from proof of Jesus the Christ to Abraham Lincoln and vampires?

See how hollywood twist things that are real to believing they are a myth. Good choice you brought up on how things have been twisted. Most young people, because they see that movie will believe that the American Civil War was about the North killing the Southern bad guy vampires.....myth.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”