Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by 1nick »

Nothing really off topic except asking if Jesus was a real dude.
Religions like to use the word truth when in fact they can provide none.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:If you cannot "see" the proof that God exists its because you're not opening your eyes. If you walk into a great bakery and see endless amounts of amazing looking baked goods, would you not know there is a master baker? When you see the amazing design in nature thats all around YOU and I, can you not see that there is a designer?

Science claims everything came from nothing and it started with a giant explosion, when did a giant explosion ever create such order? From the tiniest of living cells, atoms, and subparticles to the vast universe, there is precise order. You might as well call it a giant neon sign announcing a creator.

When one recognizes this, then that designer will make himself known to YOU in a way that you will have an unshakeable faith in him.

The biggest reason most don't believe this, is religion, but I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about the creator.

My eyes are actually wide open...thanks though.
If only you would open your eyes and recognize that there has to be a creator....please.

Science does not claim to fully understand everything...how it all began, when it all began....but they know for damned sure that it all started more than 6,000 years ago !!

Where did this creator of yours come from ?? He couldn't have just appeared out of nothing, with no grand design...right ?

As for the world being so perfectly 'designed' that one can not deny a creator if they would only open their eyes to the truth...ugh. Banging head on wall.
The world, the earth, the solar system, the universe...NONE of it is perfectly designed. None of it.
It is astounding, amazing, incredibly awe inspiring and beautiful....but it's never been perfect.
It took millions...billions or years for the 'design' that we see today to reach it's present state. Nature fumbled along the way....stars and planet die, new ones are constantly being born. The earth is unstable....it is ever changing, ever evolving...ice melts, continents shift and move, the earth cracks, forests burn, waters flood the land. Thousands of species of plants and animals...who's designs were less than ideal....either faded into extinction or evolved into something more suitable for it's environment .
You wouldn't think an almighty creator would have made those kinds of mistakes.....being a perfect design and all to begin with.

The world is a much more magical, mystical, awe inspiring place when you think of it in terms of millions of years of changing, evolving, trial and error to get to where we are now....than to believe it just all magically appeared out of some mystical deity's mind.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:The world is a much more magical, mystical, awe inspiring place when you think of it in terms of millions of years of changing, evolving, trial and error to get to where we are now....than to believe it just all magically appeared out of some mystical deity's mind.

I see respect only goes one way with you, plus when did I say the earth is 6000 years old? I didn't is the answer. Don't bother replying because you seem incapable of showing respect and not attacking. I certainly won't EVER reply to you again.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I see respect only goes one way with you, plus when did I say the earth is 6000 years old? I didn't is the answer. Don't bother replying because you seem incapable of showing respect and not attacking. I certainly won't EVER reply to you again.

What did she say that was disrespectful? Expressing one's opinion is not an attack. Someone with an opposing view to yours could just as easily say that you were being disrespectful in expressing your opinions. Sounds more like you are running from intelligent debate than feeling hurt.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

cliffy1 wrote:
What did she say that was disrespectful? Expressing one's opinion is not an attack. Someone with an opposing view to yours could just as easily say that you were being disrespectful in expressing your opinions. Sounds more like you are running from intelligent debate than feeling hurt.
Try re-reading her comment with a very sarcastic and demeaning manner. :)

I guess it wasn't so bad now that you mention it.

BUT, I don't like words being put in my mouth, like the 6000 years stuff. I also don't like the exclamations being used like that. its kind of like, "take that and that and that" at ya.

But I might of been too quick to reply to her...
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Quickmansam wrote:...why are you an Atheist? What brought you to this conclusion?

Seems the common denominator for most of those that move from agnostic to all out Atheist is anger.

...and a repeatedly well earned contempt for religious people.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Hmmm wrote:plus when did I say the earth is 6000 years old? I didn't is the answer.

Well you did say that you believe in The Creator. I think it's fair to assume that you believe the earth is 6,000 years old.

The Bible provides a complete genealogy from Adam to Jesus. You can go through the genealogies and add up the years. You'll get a total that is just over 4,000 years. Add the 2,000 years since the time of Jesus and you get just over 6,000 years since God created everything.

http://www.missiontoamerica.org/genesis/six-thousand-years.html
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:Well you did say that you believe in The Creator. I think it's fair to assume that you believe the earth is 6,000 years old.

The Bible provides a complete genealogy from Adam to Jesus. You can go through the genealogies and add up the years. You'll get a total that is just over 4,000 years. Add the 2,000 years since the time of Jesus and you get just over 6,000 years since God created everything.

Bible does not say that anywhere. PLUS, there are many people who believe in a creator who aren't Christian. There's a lot of assuming going on. How about replying to what I actually say instead of what you think I must believe?
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:
Try re-reading her comment with a very sarcastic and demeaning manner. :)

I guess it wasn't so bad now that you mention it.

BUT, I don't like words being put in my mouth, like the 6000 years stuff. I also don't like the exclamations being used like that. its kind of like, "take that and that and that" at ya.

But I might of been too quick to reply to her...

Excuse me ?
You feel it is disrespectful to disagree with you and that I put words in your mouth....but it's perfectly Ok for you to assume that I posted in a malicious, sarcastic and demeaning manner??
Whether or not you like people to use exclamation marks is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with my post, my comments or my tone.

You were too quick to reply, quick to judge and quick to attack.

Try reading my comments with an open mind instead of getting your back up and assuming things.

I felt your post was extremely insulting and belittling....but I certainly did not respond with insults, anger and judgement like you did.

It is a known fact that the story of creation suggests that the earth is less than 10,000 years old....I was not directing that particular comment to you personally...it was a general statement.
Old enough to care less.
Geckonidae
Fledgling

Post by Geckonidae »

Quickmansam wrote:I'm not an Atheist. And personally I do not understand people who proclaim themselves Atheist.

My question is, why are you an Atheist? What brought you to this conclusion?

Well, obviously I started my existence in this world as an atheist, just like you and everyone else who has ever existed. I suppose you would ask then, why am I still an atheist?

I was brought up in a house with no religious discussion. We didn't go to church, didn't pray before eating, and Christmas was never about a mythical baby Jesus. I was still exposed to enough Christian/Catholic culture to have some vague notion that there was a God and a heaven, but I was never brainwashed to believe in eternal damnation or that some dude died for my "sins". The school system tried it's hand at indoctrination though...they gave us bibles and we stood each morning to recite the Lord's Prayer. It just felt like they were trying to get me to join a really lame club, and I've never been one for joining clubs. I was a bit of a bookworm at the time so I did read some of my bible out of curiosity. After reading some of the bible I stopped reciting the Lord's Prayer and looked at those who did like they were crazy people. Then, I learned about Greek, Roman and Norse mythology, and that's when it all made sense. There have been many religions in the history of the world, and when people stop believing a religion and it fades into history we call it mythology. I realized in grade 5 that Christianity is just mythology of the future.

So basically, I'm an atheist because I was never brainwashed, and I was able to make up my own mind. I didn't have a falling out with a church, I wasn't rebelling against anything, I wasn't influenced by anything on the Internet, I'm not angry at a mythical god, and I wasn't converted by a left wing university Professor.

In grade 11 I spent a lot of time discussing theology with a guy who was deeply religious and planning to be a minister. I enjoyed our discussions and learned a great deal about his faith, but I didn't find any of his arguments compelling. I actually went to a church and sat through a sermon, but hearing someone talk about God in Heaven sounded just as crazy as a hippy talking about auras. In all that time though, I don't think I had ever heard the word "atheist", so identifying with that label is a relatively recent development.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

whatever
Last edited by OREZ on Jun 7th, 2014, 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

janalta wrote:Most young people, because people they look up to, trust and respect have told them it's true, will believe that god made a virgin pregnant so he could have a son

A man with erectile dysfunction can have his sperm removed and implanted into his virgin wife because he wants a son. We can also impregnate virgin animals with the sperm other species to create animals like ligers or mules. There are still primitive people on Earth who would find that impossible to believe.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

sobrohusfat wrote:
Seems the common denominator for most of those that move from agnostic to all out Atheist is anger..

Interesting obeservation, what do you suppose they are angry about?
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

zzontar wrote:
A man with erectile dysfunction can have his sperm removed and implanted into his virgin wife because he wants a son. We can also impregnate virgin animals with the sperm other species to create animals like ligers or mules. There are still primitive people on Earth who would find that impossible to believe.

That could well be one of the worst arguments for the immaculate conception I've heard yet.
Perhaps we've read different bibles because I've never read the one that explains that god ( who apparently must actually be a human if he is made of flesh and blood and produces viable sperm ) actually performed artificial insemination on Mary.
In the version I've read, and the version churches all teach....there was no procedure performed on her, no medical intervention, no straw inserted which contained virtuous semen - just an angel that appeared and told her she was carrying god's son.

If you sit down and explain the science, technology and technique involved in artificial insemination to any primitive person....they would be able to understand the process - even if they couldn't believe it was possible before they had that knowledge.
The same principle can not be applied when trying to explain that a woman became pregnant even though no human male was involved, no semen was used, no procedure performed on her...and that the baby she was carrying was the magical offspring of an invisible being who lived somewhere in a magical kingdom in the sky.

Your comparison is not valid.
Old enough to care less.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

sobrohusfat wrote:
Seems the common denominator for most of those that move from agnostic to all out Atheist is anger..

Personally, I think the common denominator seems to be the lack of belief in god.

I'm not sure what you think there is to be angry about ??

We are ALL atheists when it comes right down to it...in one form or another...... Unless a person believes in each and every deity that history has brought to the world.
Do you believe in Thor, Allah, Jehovah, Titan, Apollo, Krishna, Odin, Quetzalcoatl - or any of the hundreds of other gods ?
No ? Why not ? How do you know that your god is true while the others are all simply myths ?
If you don't believe in these deities....you are atheist.
Some of us simply take that belief system ONE god further.
Old enough to care less.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”