Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
janalta
Übergod

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by janalta »

Glacier wrote:Isn't this the guy that atheists were slamming left and right last month for being so narrow-minded toward fields outside of the natural sciences?

I would highly doubt that atheists would slam someone for not believing in anything outside of natural science.
He is however, being slammed left and right for disregarding the theory of biblical creation - which apparently, deserves equal air time on a show about scientific theory.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

janalta wrote:I would highly doubt that atheists would slam someone for not believing in anything outside of natural science.

Educate thyself... http://theweek.com/article/index/261042 ... z34XXQP7Lm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/massimo-p ... 30216.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

I see the personal opinion of ONE philosopher...not exactly slamming from atheists left and right...is it ?
Old enough to care less.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

janalta wrote:I see the personal opinion of ONE philosopher...not exactly slamming from atheists left and right...is it ?

Dude, it was all over Facebook and web forums a month ago. I'm not going to do the homework for you. Lots of atheists were not happy. It's water under the bridge now. Moving on...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm a member of several atheist groups and never heard a peep about it. Much ado about nothing.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

jennylives wrote:I'm a member of several atheist groups and never heard a peep about it. Much ado about nothing.

Agreed
Old enough to care less.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Haven't seen a lot of the new cosmos yet (the 4 episodes i did see all retread stuff i've seen a hundred times now). I do like the format that makes it easy for people to get into the show though, and Tyson is very non-threatening.

That said, I have never seen anything but respect for Tyson, with of course the exception of his role in Pluto's reclassification as a Dwarf Planet. Of course, anyone still going on about that is just making an example of how they themselves are inflexible to new information or scientific findings.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Fortunately we live in a country where those who profess to know the truth about God (or no God) have an equal right to their opinions. Can you imagine if we lived in a country where such thinking resulted in a penalty, including death by stoning, being administered by the state?
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

When Tyson dropped the bomb about the reclasification of Pluto, I right away thought about an episode of the outer limits.

Tyson, "Pluto is not a planet"

Boom, ripple effect.. I ace my scientist back in highschool. Become a rich and famous rockstar scientist. Tonnes of ladies hanging off my bunsen burner, but then I get high with Stephen Hawkings and we both OD on what we thought was C17H21NO4.

Science!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Rosieodonell ...

So Pluto is no longer a size challenged planet? And is now a fully qualified, large sized moon? As in "Lets go on a Pluto light swim". And with half Plutos and full Plutos and all that neat stuff. Will that have an effect on the ancient Egyptian or Incan Callenders? Change our way of determining what day Easter falls on as an example?
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

All I know is I want a scientist rockstar life. Cruising the globe in my private jet, proving global warming, and eating rare blue fin tuna with Jaques Cousteau!

Basically, ressurection him (doesn't have to wear the small swim trunks) so I can ask how he can study sharks all his life and not see Great White sharks jumping out of the freaking water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCWT-tBLnD8
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Rosieodonell ...

I think that only geologists have the chance to be a Rock Star.
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

That response was so bad it was amazing, I bow to you sir!
cori

Post by cori »

I was living quietly but the initial question brought me a problem, I have now to decide whether I am atheist or not?

OK! I will do it once you tell me really what god is.
Thank in advance.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I have been an atheist since I was about 13, I can remember the moment that I reasoned for myself that there is no evidence for the existence of a god. That was about 60 years ago and to date have not seen any evidence to change my mind. Pointing to a book and declaiming that it is proof, without regard to scientific repeatability, is a failure of logic, the bible, koran, or a book about santa clause are equally valid/invalid.
Hope that answers the OP's question.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”