Question to Atheists

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3017
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Hmmm »

Nibs wrote:Pointing to a book and declaiming that it is proof, without regard to scientific repeatability, is a failure of logic, the bible, koran, or a book about santa clause are equally valid/invalid.
Hope that answers the OP's question.

What part of the Bible did you find unbelievable? The Bible is also unique in that it has many prophecies. Which ones have you found to be false? It also has a number of areas that touch on science, which of those areas have been proven false? There are also many principles that benefit people who apply them, which ones have you found to not be beneficial?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10446
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by I Think »

Beginning in the 19th century, a number of gods who would fit these motifs. Resurections of gods was quite common and was borrowed by the Christians. Male examples include the ancient Near Eastern, Greek, and Norse deities Baal, Melqart, Adonis, Eshmun, Tammuz, Ra the Sun god with its fusion with Osiris/Orion, Jesus, and Dionysus. Female examples include Inanna/Ishtar, Persephone, and Bari.
At least one pharoe was reborn as inscribed into the walls of a pyramid 5,000 yrs +/- bc.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:What part of the Bible did you find unbelievable? The Bible is also unique in that it has many prophecies. Which ones have you found to be false? It also has a number of areas that touch on science, which of those areas have been proven false? There are also many principles that benefit people who apply them, which ones have you found to not be beneficial?


That's hilarious ...really.
The bible was written AFTER these so called prophecies regarding Jesus, the messiah's birth, etc, etc, etc. ( more than 700 years later )
Gee....you don't think they took a few liberties by sneaking those into the whole story to make is seem more...miraculous ?
Nah...of course not...if it's in the bible...must be true.

Do you worship Nostradamus as a prophet or messiah as well ?? His non-biblical predictions and prophecies have been pretty accurate as well.

Science.....you mean like this...
By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. [Hebrews 11:3] -
And by really stretching that whole things not visible thing...people suggest that they were talking about atoms. Pretty far stretch....ya ?
Or this one....proving that they knew the earth was a sphere....except that...a circle and a sphere are not inclusively the same thing.
"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." (Isaiah 40:22) -

As for principles...one can find a wealth of information on principles without reading the bible.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 20156
Joined: Jan 29th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Donald G »

To Hmmmmm ...

With the exception of small pieces of historical information contained in the bible I find the first page, the last page and most of the information on the pages in between unbelievable.

In a greater sense I find it unbelievable that anyone could convince themselves that after at least 3.2 million years of humanoid life on earth (Lucy) the one true god would be revealed to them and them alone less than 2,000 years ago.

You have the right to believe what you wish to believe but please don't try to foist your scientifically unsupportable beliefs on other more educated and knowledgeable people.

There may well be a supreme being associated to the Universe but to profess personal knowledge is silly.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10446
Joined: May 29th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by I Think »

There may well be a supreme being associated to the Universe but to profess personal knowledge is silly.


And extremely egotistical.
We're lost but we're making good time.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3017
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:That's hilarious ...really.
The bible was written AFTER these so called prophecies regarding Jesus, the messiah's birth, etc, etc, etc. ( more than 700 years later )
Gee....you don't think they took a few liberties by sneaking those into the whole story to make is seem more...miraculous ?
Nah...of course not...if it's in the bible...must be true.

Do you worship Nostradamus as a prophet or messiah as well ?? His non-biblical predictions and prophecies have been pretty accurate as well.

Science.....you mean like this...
By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. [Hebrews 11:3] -
And by really stretching that whole things not visible thing...people suggest that they were talking about atoms. Pretty far stretch....ya ?
Or this one....proving that they knew the earth was a sphere....except that...a circle and a sphere are not inclusively the same thing.
"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." (Isaiah 40:22) -

As for principles...one can find a wealth of information on principles without reading the bible.
Thank you for your detailed answer. I don't agree with you, however I don't want to debate it either. I'm already well aware of your feelings on this subject.

Just know, that I feel theres more than enough evidence on my side of the discussion to back up what I believe in. I don't have blind faith and in fact don't believe in it either. I have heard your arguments before and I'm familiar with the evidence that proves IMO they're incorrect. Thank you again for sharing your opinion on this subject.

PS enjoy this amazing day today. I like the sun and heat thats why I pay the "sunshine tax".
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:Thank you for your detailed answer. I don't agree with you, however I don't want to debate it either. I'm already well aware of your feelings on this subject.

Just know, that I feel theres more than enough evidence on my side of the discussion to back up what I believe in. I don't have blind faith and in fact don't believe in it either. I have heard your arguments before and I'm familiar with the evidence that proves IMO they're incorrect. Thank you again for sharing your opinion on this subject.

PS enjoy this amazing day today. I like the sun and heat thats why I pay the "sunshine tax".


And yet...you never produce anything even slightly resembling evidence.
You just know.

PS - I worked :o/ . Now off to the dog beach
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3017
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:And yet...you never produce anything even slightly resembling evidence.
You just know.

PS - I worked :o/ . Now off to the dog beach

I didn't provide anything because I already know nothing will change your mind. But here's one answer for you. You said the messianic prophesies were written hundreds of years after Jesus, correct? You do realize these were in the Hebrew scriptures don't you? There is an abundant of evidence that they were written before the first century (the hebrew scriptures that is). I cannot understand where you could find solid proof that says the Hebrew scriptures were written hundreds of years after the first century. There are numerous fragments and compete scrolls in museums that are much older than you claim.

Thats the answer to your first issue and the answer is based on solid, can be found in museums facts. If you agree that you might be wrong than I'll answer your next issue.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
1nick
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4345
Joined: May 6th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by 1nick »

jan,and if you won't do that he'll take his ball and go home.

Any "evidence" of a god is fallible so don't expect any miracles posted here.
Let’s play “Spot the Putin Patsy”
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by janalta »

Hmmm wrote:I didn't provide anything because I already know nothing will change your mind. But here's one answer for you. You said the messianic prophesies were written hundreds of years after Jesus, correct? You do realize these were in the Hebrew scriptures don't you? There is an abundant of evidence that they were written before the first century (the hebrew scriptures that is). I cannot understand where you could find solid proof that says the Hebrew scriptures were written hundreds of years after the first century. There are numerous fragments and compete scrolls in museums that are much older than you claim.

Thats the answer to your first issue and the answer is based on solid, can be found in museums facts. If you agree that you might be wrong than I'll answer your next issue.


Nope...sorry, not what I said at all....what I said is that the BIBLE was written hundreds of years AFTER the said prophecies were written...therefore it would have been very easy to write those 700 year old 'prophecies' into the story to make it seem as though the almighty had a hand in all of it.
The guys writing the bible already knew about the messianic prophecies...not too difficult to make them all seem to come true when you're writing a story.

So...you're simply arguing about you misreading my response.

Nick...no worries...I know there is no evidence of god - if there was, it sure as heck would be making news headlines...wouldn't you think ?
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3017
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:
Nope...sorry, not what I said at all....what I said is that the BIBLE was written hundreds of years AFTER the said prophecies were written...therefore it would have been very easy to write those 700 year old 'prophecies' into the story to make it seem as though the almighty had a hand in all of it.
The guys writing the bible already knew about the messianic prophecies...not too difficult to make them all seem to come true when you're writing a story.

So...you're simply arguing about you misreading my response.

Nick...no worries...I know there is no evidence of god - if there was, it sure as heck would be making news headlines...wouldn't you think ?

I understand what your'e saying...I think. The Bible was put together well after the first century. The fact is, the Hebrew scripture that were in scroll form were written before the first century, this is an established fact. There is an abundance of scrolls that contain portions of them that are in museums today and they date back well before the complete Bible was put together.

Maybe I still don't understand your argument, you said the messianic prophecies were written hundreds of years after Jesus (the first century ce) and yet those prophecies were in the Hebrew scriptures, so how can they be written hundreds of years after the fact? What about the Dead Sea Scrolls? Were they written 700 years after Christ? They contain many of those prophecies. Anyway, now you why I didn't respond in the first place, this just goes round and round and I have seen some of these scrolls with my own eyes that date back well before you claim they do. I have actually never heard anyone deny this, whether they're a believer or not. They are well documented and in museums.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by janalta »

Let's try again..

This is what I wrote...

The bible was written AFTER these so called prophecies regarding Jesus, the messiah's birth, etc, etc, etc. ( more than 700 years later )

Christians claim that Jesus is the messiah that was written about in the prophecies.....which were written 700 years before his birth...that his birth, life and death were all part of the prophecies.

The bible was written after Jesus...well after. Therefore....while making up the stories about Jesus and his life....include events that were prophesised 700 years ago...and you have 'proof' that god was involved in the writing of both.

Again...I never said the prophecies were written after Jesus or the bible....I said they were written 700 years before.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35516
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Glacier »

Janalta, you are using Komplili reasoning. Conspiracy theories are fun, but if you claim to have truth, don't use conspiracy theory websites to defend your position. What's next, you'll invoke the Zeitgeist movement as further proof?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
janalta
Übergod
Posts: 1872
Joined: Jul 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by janalta »

Glacier wrote:Janalta, you are using Komplili reasoning. Conspiracy theories are fun, but if you claim to have truth, don't use conspiracy theory websites to defend your position. What's next, you'll invoke the Zeitgeist movement as further proof?

Glacier...not sure what conspiracy theory websites you're referring to exactly....but I'm not using any of them regardless.
In fact, when hmmm said that the bible contains a lot of scientific and historical facts....I tried my best to find such 'facts'. What I found were Christian sites claiming historical proof with such things as the prophecies being fulfilled in the bible with such accuracy that the only explanation was that god was at work....because no human could have foreseen with such clarity the events which would unfold 700 years in the future.
That is Christian 'proof'.
All I'm saying is that it's pretty easily explained by some fancy fictional writing called the bible. I never claimed that there was any fact, proof or truth in my thoughts....just a pretty plausible explanation....and not so much a big cosmic mystery.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3017
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: Question to Atheists

Post by Hmmm »

janalta wrote:Glacier...not sure what conspiracy theory websites you're referring to exactly....but I'm not using any of them regardless.
In fact, when hmmm said that the bible contains a lot of scientific and historical facts....I tried my best to find such 'facts'. What I found were Christian sites claiming historical proof with such things as the prophecies being fulfilled in the bible with such accuracy that the only explanation was that god was at work....because no human could have foreseen with such clarity the events which would unfold 700 years in the future.
That is Christian 'proof'.
All I'm saying is that it's pretty easily explained by some fancy fictional writing called the bible. I never claimed that there was any fact, proof or truth in my thoughts....just a pretty plausible explanation....and not so much a big cosmic mystery.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe anything you came across either. Rest assured of one thing though, through my decades of study, I accept solid, proven and completely trustworthy sources for my information. Trying to google religious information is never going to yield anything reliable. I know there are many religious nuts out there who have websites and most of the time those will be whats on the top searches.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”