It's that time of year again.

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Drip_Torch
Guru

It's that time of year again.

Post by Drip_Torch »

Be careful out there.

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Re: It's that time of year again.

Post by Frisk »

Drip torch, are you a firefighter? You always seem to get good videos.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Qualize, I'll be fairly honest with you. Even when I did have cat claws, could walk up hill all day, and bounced when I fell - I still couldn't hold a video camera semi-steady and swing a Pulaski at the same time.

Currently, I'm: (pick one)

a) a completely crazy fire storm chaser; looking to upgrade my wardrobe with a new and much coveted Castenet news t-shirt.

b) an anti-global warming activist; on a one-man crusade to cut down on green house gas emissions, through the discouragement of potential looky-lous, by providing access to adequate video footage of current fire situations.

c) a starving artist; attempting to paint a rather complicated mosaic, simply because I feel the "97%" don't seem to be equitably represented by Main Stream Media.

d) all of the above.

I suspect it will all become quite apparent sometime in the next 13 to 26 months; based on current long term atmospheric modeling and my understanding of historic trends.

{Disclaimer: Drip_Torch is not responsible for any errors or omissions in the information contained in this posting, or for the results obtained from the use of any information contained herein. All information in this post is provided "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness, or of the results obtained from the use of this information. Drip_Torch makes no warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. In no event will Drip_Torch, his affiliates, partners or viable genetic materials be liable to any party for any damages of any kind whatsoever, including consequential damages, arising from any use of or inability to use this post, or any information provided herein, or decision made or action taken in reliance upon such information, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.

All future predictions are based on the subjective assessment of chicken bones thrown onto a Ouija board, or such similar processes, as may be substituted from time to time. Though Drip_Torch believes this information to be accurate at the time of its posting, there may be omissions or inaccuracies in this information.}
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I can only find stats back to 2002. It looks like we haven't had a really active year in a about 5 years, I wonder what this year will bring?

numberoffires.png

Here is a break down of the number of large fires by fire centre (>=5 ha). Notice that all fire centres except the Cariboo have been trending downwards since 2002.
largefiresbyfirecentre.png

List of the 10 largest fires in that time...

10largestfires.png

Note: I recently drove by the #1 fire on the above list. Yup, she was a huge one, but it made viewing the Smith River falls a lot easier because there were no trees obstructing the view.
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 8th, 2014, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

o.o Let's hope it isn't a bad year . . . but prepare as if it is. Be careful out there folks!
I haven't failed until I quit.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Next year will have far more fires. We haven't had a really strong El Nino for at least a decade and there is one starting over the Pacific and will continue through the winter. The warm winter allows snow to remain in the higher elevations of the interior with the valley bottoms losing their snow off and on over the winter. And the valleys will start the fire season on the dry side and early. Even with only average rainfall in the spring rainfall season (June), next July and especially August look to have more fires.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

^^^ Way to spoil the magic.^^^

We're also at the very top end of an extremely deep drought south of us and there is the possibility of unusually dry air contributing to anomalous fire weather later in this season.

IMHO
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It has also been the wettest summer on record to the north of BC, so extreme drought to the south and extreme moisture to the north could combine for some dry lightning activity in our area.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

...then we'll have an interface fire, then houses will burn like 2003, then the vacancy rate will get worse, the housing market will boom again...
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Lady tehMa wrote:o.o Let's hope it isn't a bad year . . . but prepare as if it is. Be careful out there folks!

Well said Lady. Aye lets all be careful out there.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Okanagan is moderate - high right now + a week of forecasted temps above 35C. please be careful.
Attachments
image.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:Okanagan is moderate - high right now + a week of forecasted temps above 35C. please be careful.

Please read carefully. None of the 4 weather stations in the Okanagan are moderate. Two of them are extreme (Vernon and Salmon Arm), and two are high (Penticton and Rock Creek). Moderate can only be found way up on the Connector.
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Too hot for me...
Attachments
image.jpg
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Good possibility weather temp may not get that high but I am enjoying the heat.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Forecasts look a lot more impressive in Fahrenheit... http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?bc-33&unit=i
- Douglas Murray

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”