Smith Creek Fire

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Re: Smith Creek Fire

Post by Troy »

Thanks Iamsomeone! You just said what I was going to. In situations like this, if there is no news being reported, it usually means there's nothing new. Size estimates would be tougher to do at night. The fire is currently smaller than its peak.

The webcam is at Kelowna Mountain. It will be on site all the time once our 24/7 power solution arrives very soon. Right now, it's only accessible for about 8 hours a day, unfortunately.

Information from Update 17 is also included in our latest update.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Queen K wrote:Who is in that boat and can the RCMP charge them for obstruction of some sort?

What an idiot!!!!!!

I hope that second boat we saw booking towards the first boat was an RCMP vessel.

...there is of course the possibility they're actually there marking the boundary and patrolling the area to keep others out...
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Thanks Iamsomeone! You just said what I was going to. In situations like this, if there is no news being reported, it usually means there's nothing new. Size estimates would be tougher to do at night. The fire is currently smaller than its peak.

The webcam is at Kelowna Mountain. It will be on site all the time once our 24/7 power solution arrives very soon. Right now, it's only accessible for about 8 hours a day, unfortunately.

Information from Update 17 is also included in our latest update.

Thanks for this. So does this mean that if there was a nasty turn of events in the overnight hours, that we would hear about it?
I am sure many of us would feel a lot better knowing that we would be alerted if the need be , even if it was in the middle of the night.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Yes, you would hear about it for sure. Also, we have staff who live practically right beside the evacuated area, so they are going to be among the first to know too.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

That's very good to know, thank you :)
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I live on the course. It is very windy right now. Plants and other stuff knocked over and building is creaking. There are some plumes of smoke that a few hours ago were very thin and wispy and are now more active and larger.

Several helicopters are hitting these spots relentlessly. Those guys are amazing and skilled like crazy.

Shannon Lake may have dropped an inch or two once this is all done.

The overall look of it now is that they are beating it back slowly but methodically and sooner than later we will all breathe a collective sigh of relief.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Amazing they were able to knock this thing down like they did yesterday, and even more amazing that I still see choppers flying out there, those pilots must have ice blood and titanium kahoonas, that would be a wild ride. Hats off to all the crew doing a crazy job that I thought was impossble.
I thought I posted this a couple hours ago, but it didnt go.
Going today, hear tommorow
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

@Swoop, I guess we'll never know then. The second boat driver seemed to be quite anxious to get out there.

I saw the same thing happen on Sugar Lake a weekend ago, four waterbombers trying to load up and stupid boaters out there playing chicken.

Photographed it actually.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Queen K wrote:@Swoop, I guess we'll never know then. The second boat driver seemed to be quite anxious to get out there.

I saw the same thing happen on Sugar Lake a weekend ago, four waterbombers trying to load up and stupid boaters out there playing chicken.

Photographed it actually.

...not saying for a second the level of stupid in these situations never ceases to amaze - just saying, they could have been there with a purpose too... :)
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Latest update from http://www.cordemergency.ca/CM/Page3353 ... ID=4544325 (8:10pm)is that there's not much of an update.
Honestly, with how much the wind is gusting, I'll take that as good news. The fact that they've maintained coverage and the size is constant is truly remarkable.
Who knows, maybe the wind blew some of the fire out :)

Also, still good idea to subscribe to their updates, good way to get info.
meadbh

Post by meadbh »

Another update: looks like they have help from Ontario....not counting any chickens yet!

http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/Wildfir ... sp?ID=2181
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I would have thought with the wind they'd evacuate right to the lake......lucky
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I don't see any glowing hot spots tonight, at least not from my angle.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

I see a few from up here :(
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

It's a bit darker now and I can see two or three small ones on the western flank.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”