Smith Creek Fire

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Smith Creek Fire

Post by Frisk »

It's nice to be home again.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

from a selfish point of view; i was able to get a good look from the iron ridge development area and it looks like the mtn bike trails may of dodged a bullet. Maybe even the flume trail.

I also have a number of friends in the Smith Creek and Talus Ridge area that have been sitting on pins and needles the last few days and I am glad they are home or going home.

I tip my bike helmet to all the fire fighters and pilots for their hard work and skills.
meadbh

Post by meadbh »

So, there is a Restriction Order in effect for the area in the map until July 31. What does this mean exactly? If we have friends who live in the Restricted Area, I assume that we can't visit them?

http://www.*bleep*.com/news/news/Loc ... Restricted
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

We posted a story about the area restrictions earlier this evening:
http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... mith-Creek

This Area Restriction Order does not apply to people travelling to or from their residence or to anyone using the highway, as defined in the Highway Act.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

Got home this afternoon, unloaded the cars and got a few hours of the first good sleep I've had in days. It's good to be home.

westbanker wrote:and the Darwins are back....! Watching a *bleep* right now rip his motorbike up & down, doing laps around the high voltage feeder line that feeds Peachland, and there is an osprey perched atop of the pole freaking out. Signs all around no motorized vehicles, and somehow he found more friends who just arrived that sanction this ... they conveniently never seem to do this during by-law operating hours...

Please tell me you called the RCMP about these idiots. I suspect they may have taken a little more interest than By-lay given recent events. If they were in the Restricted Area mentioned above they could face some nice fines or even jail time.
meadbh

Post by meadbh »

[quote="Troy"]We posted a story about the area restrictions earlier this evening:
http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... mith-Creek

Troy, your link has exactly the same information as the one I posted. I had read both of them previously. I was asking for clarification of its meaning. Does it mean that nobody except residents can enter this area?
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

meadbh wrote:Troy, your link has exactly the same information as the one I posted. I had read both of them previously. I was asking for clarification of its meaning. Does it mean that nobody except residents can enter this area?

I think the "or to anyone using the highway" line means that you're fine to visit your friends.

“highway” includes
(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
but does not include an industrial road;
LiteraryEmporium

Post by LiteraryEmporium »

It's pouring rain in Smith Creek! There were a few loud claps of thunder then the rain - hope this helps!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Lightning definitely happening near the fire area. Hope the lightning only hits already burned areas.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

westbanker wrote:and the Darwins are back....! Watching a *bleep* right now rip his motorbike up & down, doing laps around the high voltage feeder line that feeds Peachland, and there is an osprey perched atop of the pole freaking out. Signs all around no motorized vehicles, and somehow he found more friends who just arrived that sanction this ... they conveniently never seem to do this during by-law operating hours...

If these are youngsters riding these bikes, one has to wonder about the thinking of their parents. I guess they just buy them the dirt bikes and the gas to run them and then provide little or no guidance and certainly no supervision. I have personally seen kids that are in the 14/15 year old range, ripping up the terrain in the area where this fire started, and there was not an adult anywhere in sight. If these [bleeps] as others have referred to them as, are over 18 years of age and adults, they ought to be caught and prosecuted for trespass and damage to property/environment and any other beef that can be hung on them. From what I have seen, there are far too many of these people on motorized vehicles who think nothing of tearing up wilderness areas and leaving all manner of garbage in their wake.... water bottles, food wrappers, empty oil containers, etc etc. One cannot but feel sorry for the few people who work so hard at trying to enjoy their dirt bikes and quads in a responsible and respectful way.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

Wow. That thunderclap just literally shook my whole house! It was like a little earthquake.Hopefully the associated lightning isn't causing problems.
kelscher

Post by kelscher »

I am over on Gellatly and heard it loud and clear! Loudest and longest thunder I have ever heard!
GardenMum
Board Meister

Post by GardenMum »

It sure is smokey up here in Rose valley this morning! That storm last night shook the house!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

meadbh wrote:So, there is a Restriction Order in effect for the area in the map until July 31. What does this mean exactly? If we have friends who live in the Restricted Area, I assume that we can't visit them?

http://www.*bleep*.com/news/news/Loc ... Restricted

The restriction order is to keep people from deciding to take a look at what progress is being made. They don't want folks wandering into the area where heavy equipment and workers are.

"Once people go back to their homes, (they) might get curious and want to get up into these areas," she says. "Unfortunately, we spend quite a bit of time chasing them down and getting them out of these areas."
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
norton123
Fledgling

Post by norton123 »

does anyone know if the landfill in west side is open? just went there and yes its open,very busy but open now.
Last edited by norton123 on Jul 21st, 2014, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”