Smith Creek Fire

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Smith Creek Fire

Post by Symbonite »

ya that was a pretty big rumble last night....i was like awesome finally a light shopw...and then nothing.....been awhile since a good wicked lightning storm was around..
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

The latest update:
http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... early-over
The Evacuation Order has been lifted for additional residents living near the Smith Creek fire in Tallus Ridge. But an order remains in place for eight large, rural, private properties in the interface areas immediately above Smith Creek, Tallus Ridge and Shannon Woods Neighbourhoods, including all properties accessed off Dixie Road.
meadbh

Post by meadbh »

I've seen complaints on this forum about lack of communication, but I have been following the CORD site and there have been 26 news releases since this started on Thursday. While I was not evacuated, I have been very impressed with how our emergency services have handled this. Most importantly, they have wrestled a very aggressive and dangerous fire into a controlled situation. Hats off to them all!
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

The emergency services handled this situation very well, indeed!

The crews got on this one very quickly and have greatly limited the growth of this fire. I think that because of their great work, there has actually been less to report on -- sometimes no news is good news.
14Karma

Post by 14Karma »

I smell smoke really bad....worse than when the fire was right up behind me (Doucette). I can't see anything, can anybody else?
I know there are fires all over, but this smells really close?
....or just being over cautious after being evacuated?
meadbh

Post by meadbh »

There is a lot of smoke coming up from Washington State. The RODC site has no new updates, so I hope you will sleep well!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2188010672
Last edited by meadbh on Jul 21st, 2014, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

http://www.krem.com/news/local/300-acre ... 24691.html

From my friends house I watched 4 Electras heading back and forth to that fire and Penticton airport. Looks like they all headed back to their own base as only one is here now.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Has anyone heard the cause of the fire yet? My neighbour who witnessed the start said it was considerably west of the old fire. Behind doucette as apposed to copper ridge. We saw the old fire site when walking our dog prior to the second fire and they had a hose still in place so we assumed they'd be back. There weren't any visible hot spots but we we kept clear of the burnt area as we've seen how deep fires can burns under ground. But there was still heat eminating from the charred remains, we chalked it up the area being blackened and capturing more of the sun. Was suprised to see that they sawed all the trees down but I'm sure there's a good reason. But from why I saw and heard from my neighbour it's unlikely it was caused by the previous fire.

The reason I ask is if this was from a quad or motorcycle it certainly hasn't stopped people. There is a dried out field the end of doucette they now access smith creek from. Used to closed to anything but foot traffic but someone has cut the fence and filled in the burm to allow access by motorbike.

Just wish people could find another way to keep occupied that didn't include risking everyone's lives and personal property.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

Poindexter wrote:The reason I ask is if this was from a quad or motorcycle it certainly hasn't stopped people. There is a dried out field the end of doucette they now access smith creek from. Used to closed to anything but foot traffic but someone has cut the fence and filled in the burm to allow access by motorbike.

Just wish people could find another way to keep occupied that didn't include risking everyone's lives and personal property.

If you're seeing them along Smith Creek Rd up there then they're in the restricted area and subject to a $5000 fine and up to 6 months in jail (per http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/119454/Area-restriction-near-Smith-Creek ). Call the police. Even if they're not in the restricted area at the very least they're trespassing and I think the RCMP might be interested in getting these yahoos out of the area given recent events.
Last edited by Lazarus on Jul 22nd, 2014, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Lazarus wrote:If you're seeing them on the north side or Smith Creek Rd up there then they're in the restricted area and subject to a $5000 fine and up to 6 months in jail

Whew. I was thinking of mtn biking in from a back way and checking out the SC trails but I just may wait a little bit.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Just walked up to my mail box on the top of Smith Creek and put out a smoldering cigarette someone had tossed out of a car. People just don't learn.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Posted this on another thread but belongs here.

Big thanks to the volunteers at boucherie highschool. Our volunteer drove all the way down from Vernon to help out. It makes you realize that there are some incredibly wonderful and generous people who are willing to step up to the plate when help is needed.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It smells really smoky outside in Smith Creek right now. I'm not sure if there's something still burning or it's just the smell of the burnt trees settling in the valley, but I think I will leave the windows closed tonight.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:It smells really smoky outside in Smith Creek right now. I'm not sure if there's something still burning or it's just the smell of the burnt trees settling in the valley, but I think I will leave the windows closed tonight.

There have been warnings about the smoke settling in the valley recently. Smith Creek isn't the only fire around that affects this area (which still has hot spots being worked on as of yesterday).

In the hills above Smith Creek right now, helicopters are almost a rare site, fire crews are dwindling, the smoke is mostly gone and the emergency operations centre disbanded on Wednesday, mostly owed to last week’s rains and the tireless work of ground crews putting out the fires.

*bleep*/newsitem/wildfire-was ... ds/it11927
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”