Huh....I didn't know that

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Huh....I didn't know that

Post by Catz »

Have to share this scarey but mind opening experience. I mowed my lawn 2 weeks ago, and last night decided I should do it again. I pulled the cord thing, and it would not pull at all. I flipped the mower to its side and it was full of dry grass. As I was pulling it out I noticed a fair amount of ash in it and it smoldering a bit. I was totally shocked. Lesson learned.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Huh....I didn't know that

Post by Glacier »

Spontaneous combustion?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

That's what I was thinking. Scared the poop out of me. I could have started a fire and didn't even know. I was hoping that others will share their 'huh' moments, as well.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I was following an Albertan. They threw a smoldering cigarette out there window.

I popped him in the back of the head at the next intersection.

That was my Aha moment realizing the intelligence of Albertans.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I won't start a new thread because it looks like it might not be an issue:

NEAR PEACHLAND — The BC Forest Service was quick to jump all over a small wildfire this afternoon near the Brenda Mines turnoff on the Coquihalla Connector west of Peachland.

Three firefighters were taken by helicopter to the site while three others drove.

They were assisted by retardant drops by air tankers which completely encircled the small blaze.

It’s estimated at less than a hectare, with the Forest Service reporting no issues at this time in tackling the fire.

It’s believed to be human caused.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1481191/small ... nda-mines/

There have been five new fires in the Okanagan started in the last 24 hours and four of them are human caused.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Wow. To me this summer seems more hotter than usual.... Glacier?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Catz wrote:Have to share this scarey but mind opening experience. I mowed my lawn 2 weeks ago, and last night decided I should do it again. I pulled the cord thing, and it would not pull at all. I flipped the mower to its side and it was full of dry grass. As I was pulling it out I noticed a fair amount of ash in it and it smoldering a bit. I was totally shocked. Lesson learned.

Composting materials can get hot enough to combust. I know even a pile of green grass in the back of my truck that sits over the weekend generates quite a bit of heat. Another danger you might not have realized is tipping your mower over, quite often a vented gas cap can cause fuel to spill, now you have double trouble.

Do you mulch or bag when you mow? If you mulch maybe your blades are dull and its not mulching. If you bag then maybe you are mowing with the bag too full and the grass is building up under the deck of it. Either way it is a good idea to hose out the bottom of the mower after each use. Most manufactures don't recommend tilting mowers on their side. The best way is to get someone to push the handle to the ground and tilt it that way, or push it down yourself and put a weight on it or pin it under something.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Yes, I mulch. I like the grass left on top. Am super aware now of the lawn mower. Thank you. I thought about the gas and oil on the grass.I have half the yard that is always when when I cut...the other half is bone dry. Thank you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Catz wrote:Wow. To me this summer seems more hotter than usual.... Glacier?

For sure. Almost all of the past 15 summer have been hotter than normal. On paper we are at "normal" for rain, but since almost all the precipitation fell in one day, it didn't really do much to stop the drought.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Wow I've always heard of people like you! Try cleaning your lawn mower once in a blue moon!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

When I worked wildfire in Ontario we had a couple instances per year of wood chip piles combusting. This was coming from a pulp and paper town, so they were plentiful.

I can't ever recall one actually starting a wildfire though (mostly because these things were far, far away from actual forests). Regardless, the decomposition can generate a whole lot of heat. A couple pieces of heavy equipment to spread the pile out and a fire crew...things were good.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

TreeGuy wrote:
Composting materials can get hot enough to combust. I know even a pile of green grass in the back of my truck that sits over the weekend generates quite a bit of heat. Another danger you might not have realized is tipping your mower over, quite often a vented gas cap can cause fuel to spill, now you have double trouble.

Do you mulch or bag when you mow? If you mulch maybe your blades are dull and its not mulching. If you bag then maybe you are mowing with the bag too full and the grass is building up under the deck of it. Either way it is a good idea to hose out the bottom of the mower after each use. Most manufactures don't recommend tilting mowers on their side. The best way is to get someone to push the handle to the ground and tilt it that way, or push it down yourself and put a weight on it or pin it under something.

Make sure u don't tip them with the carb on the down side. Tip it with the carb up.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”