Campfire Ban?

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Frisk
Guru

Campfire Ban?

Post by Frisk »

Do you agree with the current campfire ban?

Personally, I completely disagree with it. You'd have to be totally brainless to cause a forest fire with your campfire. As long as you have common sense, a bucket of water, a shovel, it isn't windy & the campfire is in a proper location, I don't see how the fire would ever get out of control. It's a shame that some people ruin the fun for the everyone else, camping isn't the same without a campfire.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Campfire Ban?

Post by coffeeFreak »

I completely agree with the ban. Unfortunately Qualize there are just too many "brainless" people out there starting fires because of 'carelessness'.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I totally agree with the fire ban. Clearly there are a lot of brainless fools out there and I prefer my forests green.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I agree with the ban, since not everyone who starts campfires. Makes sure that those fires are completely extinguish properly.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 31st, 2014, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:Do you agree with the current campfire ban?

Personally, I completely disagree with it.
I don't know of anyone else that would take a chance on having friends and neighbours lose property because of an errant spark.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

I have to say, while I don't disgree with the campfire ban necessarily as I'd rather err on the side of caution than not, the question does raise a gun registry-like point.

The types of campfires that start forest fires are often those created recklessly, by thoughtless, stupid people, who don't build fires in the right place, don't consider things like wind conditions and don't make a proper effort to extinguish the fire sufficiently. That being the case, these are often the same people who would ignore a campfire ban and make a campfire anyway.

In the same way gun registries often serve to 'police' people who are already law abiding and are ignored by criminals, is a campfire ban only really penalizing people who, by virtue of the fact that they would have the respect to follow the campfire ban in the first place, who would probably be responsible enough to build and extinguish a fire properly and not start a wildfire?
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I will refrase.......why wound any sane humane being take a chance?????????
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The campfire ban enables others to report those that ignore the ban. Some people think they know what they are doing but reality says otherwise.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Wow. Anyone that sparks even a lighter to light a stove or propane "fire" of any kind has to consider the risk. It's just not worth it. Let alone a campfire with embers and sparks flying.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Yes I hear what you all are saying but I think there needs to be an exception in the ban. There's some areas where it's pretty much impossible to have your campfire escape, like Sun Oka beach in Summerland. They have campfire pits on the beach & the nearest fuels nearby are like 500 metres away. On a calm day embers could never travel that far. Just a thought.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

P.S, dumb people are going to have campfires regardless of the ban. It doesn't really change much except prevent people with common sense from having a fire...
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Really....?????? any threat is bad. If you do not like the bans then leave.I would always want my home first than a bit of convienence. Very selfish.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It's not selfish if you are careful.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Just look at the percentages of fires started by "stupid people" vs nature, and then the total costs per season. That is why there is a forest fire ban.

Fire Averages

The number of wildfires that occur on average every year in British Columbia is usually given as 2,000, with half caused by people and half caused by lightning. Because this is an average, it is different every year, and therefore this generalization is never totally accurate.

The current 10-year average*, taken from 2003 to 2012, is 1,908 fires, 38.6% caused by people and 61.4% caused by lightning.

The following table shows the number and percentage of people and lightning-caused fires for last year and the 10 preceeding years...

http://bcwildfire.ca/history/average.htm

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”