Campfire Ban?

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Campfire Ban?

Post by Catz »

I hope the cops catch them...idiots
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Of the 8 large interface fire that have occur in West Kelowna & surrounding areas since 2009, not 1 was caused by a campfire...

Glenrosa - Unknown, human caused.
Rose Valley - Unknown, human caused.
Terrace Mountain - Unknown, human caused.
Drought Hill - Tree on power line.
Bear Creek - Unknown, human caused.
Wilson's Landing - Lightning.
Peachland - Unknown, human caused.
Smith Creek - Unknown, human caused.

Maybe we should try and find out what is causing these 'unknown' fires before we start slapping fines on people who are cautious with their campfire. Of course there's always a risk with a campfire, but there's also a risk that something could get caught on the exhaust of your vehicle & start a fire.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:Maybe we should try and find out what is causing these 'unknown' fires before we start slapping fines on people who are cautious with their campfire.
Not very responsible people if they're getting fined.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:Yes I hear what you all are saying but I think there needs to be an exception in the ban.

No, there shouldn't be. Embers can wreck havoc yards away, underground and smoke can reappear further up a hill.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:P.S, dumb people are going to have campfires regardless of the ban. It doesn't really change much except prevent people with common sense from having a fire...

Again, yes it does change the frequency of reported campfires.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Just because they got a fine doesn't mean they weren't responsible, it just means they got caught. Everyone who gets caught gets a fine, regardless if it's a 10ft bonfire in the middle of the forest or a small fire for cooking hotdogs on a beach in a proper fire pit.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Fancy wrote:No, there shouldn't be. Embers can wreck havoc yards away, underground and smoke can reappear further up a hill.

Sounds like you are fear mongering. Again, in case you haven't noticed, the ban doesn't really do anything. If you go camping up at a lake you will still find lots of people having fires.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Just because you haven't seen anything like that doesn't mean I haven't.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:Just because they got a fine doesn't mean they weren't responsible, it just means they got caught. Everyone who gets caught gets a fine, regardless if it's a 10ft bonfire in the middle of the forest or a small fire for cooking hotdogs on a beach in a proper fire pit.

Of course they're not responsible knowing there's a campfire ban on.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I haven't seen anything like that & I highly doubt I will because I am careful when I have a campfire.

Point is, people have campfires ban or no ban, it doesn't change anything except people have to go driving up into the mountains to have a fire instead of having one in a campfire pit at the local lake.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If a root, particularly a dead one, is exposed to fire, it may smoulder underground and ignite the parent tree long after the original fire is doused and the campers have left the area
Wikipedia
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Quailize wrote:Just because they got a fine doesn't mean they weren't responsible, it just means they got caught.

Here is a big part of the problem with people today. As long as I don't get caught it's OK.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Quailize wrote:I haven't seen anything like that & I highly doubt I will because I am careful when I have a campfire.

Point is, people have campfires ban or no ban, it doesn't change anything except people have to go driving up into the mountains to have a fire instead of having one in a campfire pit at the local lake.

And I'd be in line phoning a complaint in.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bsuds wrote:Here is a big part of the problem with people today. As long as I don't get caught it's OK.
Entitlement? Wonder why irresponsible people think they are being responsible when thumbing their nose at the law.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Quailize wrote:Sounds like you are fear mongering. Again, in case you haven't noticed, the ban doesn't really do anything. If you go camping up at a lake you will still find lots of people having fires.

True unfortunately many do not comply with the ban, can't fix stupid.

Oh yeah I got it, if a persons campfire causes or creates a forest fire. Some or all the costs of putting out that forest fire, should be charged to idiot that started campfire during a ban.

Maybe you can't fix stupid, but you can drain its bank account.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”