Storms

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Storms

Post by Frisk »

Same situation as yesterday. We might see some thunderstorms pop up throughout the day.
Attachments
image.jpg
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Does the mountains affect the way the storms move? It seems they build up along the ridges of the mountains & dissipate whenever they reach the valley?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

some pics i took yesterday in kamloops
Attachments
lightning 2.JPG
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

1 more
Attachments
lightning1.JPG
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Yes the mountains cause some lifting of air flow causing cooling aloft and therefore condensation and cumulonimbus stands. (as I understand it)
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

A few showers with thunderstorms beginning this evening. Risk of a severe thunderstorm this evening. Local smoke. Low 14.

So there's a 100% of showers/thunderstorms tonight but I have no idea where they are coming from? Radar only shows some storms to the northwest of us but they aren't moving in our direction.
Attachments
image.jpg
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Reports only say 60 percent and guess the risk of a big storm happening is over until tonight. Doubt we will get anything substantial at 30 percent.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It was originally 100% but they dropped it to 60. It looks like they all missed us again.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Never read 100% on any site yesterday morning. Now it's slim chance of any thunderstorm activity tonight. Love watching them but doesn't compare to what the eastern provinces get.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Yes they are fun to watch. We haven't seen many of them this summer but that's probably a good thing because its been quite dry outside.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Cool looking picture from castanets webcam. We got quite the downpour a few minutes ago.
Attachments
image.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I had a pretty rocking thunderstorm at my place yesterday. Good thing I didn't ride my bike home because Vernon also got hit around 4:30. 5 mm fell at my place. To answer your question, thunderstorms are pretty random. Some places hit hard (like near Lillooet yesterday) while other places get nothing. The next storm attacks at random as well. Winter is a different story in that the rain shadow effect comes into play.

Elevation makes a difference year-round in that the higher you go the more rain you get.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Judging by how the sky looks right now, I'm pretty sure we are going to get a thunderstorm this afternoon.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Lots of lightning all over BC today.

http://weather.gc.ca/lightning/index_e.html?id=PAC
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

There's some lightning in that high-extreme area in the northwest & costal fire centres.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”