Fire ban

Temporary forum for information and discussion about fire situations in the Okanagan.
Blossom2
Fledgling

Fire ban

Post by Blossom2 »

Could not believe how many people from alberta do not read the signs about fire- someone should be checking camp grounds for fires- the last night of our trip was scary with the firepits due to be surrounded by huge trees and large fires- the owners of the camp grounds should get a stiff fine
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Fire ban

Post by Poindexter »

I was surprised by the number of fires we've seen recently camping as well. They have to know but just don't care about the fire ban with the lack of enforcement. Most people have camped successfully for years without starting a fire because in the hands of a responsible person, fires are safe. Just another situation where careless and irresponsible idiots ruin it for everyone. For a lot of folk it isn't camping unless you get to roast a weenie and marshmallow around a fire at the end of the day. So I understand why people are doing it anyway. Problem is most people aren't responsible and the ones that aren't responsible are the ones having campfires during the ban. So if common sense isn't enough it's up to enforcement to send a message that it applies to everyone.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

If you catch them in the act, take photos? They all have licence plates! I do that with smokers that throw butts out or people talking on their cell phones while driving. (I'm not driving, of course)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Report them! We camped for four days last weekend at Evely and thankfully didn't see any fires.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

The people you need to contact are compliance and enforcement http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hen/
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Before you get bent out of shape and report them maker it's not a propane campfire they are using. Costco sells them for $80. We saw someone at Fintry with one, couldn't figure how they were getting away with having a fire. We walked over to find it was propane.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

canuck500 wrote:The people you need to contact are compliance and enforcement http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hen/

Appreciate it. We tend to go where there's no cell service. Maybe a picture, not sure how that'd work though. Cruise up to thier beach in our kayaks take a couple shots and disappear like navy seals?

And point taken about thinking it may be a fire when it's not. We made a rock stove type thing as a reflector and stuck a couple citronella candles in it. Wind was blowing right over us so it kept the bugs away like a hot damn and was surprised at how much even that lit up the campsite with the flicker of flame.

The two fires we saw were both young couples with kids who like I said earlier, appeared to just want to roast some smokies and a few marshmallows to end a day of fishing. Maybe cook their catch. Doesn't excuse them but like I said earlier, can certainly see why they'd take the risk given lack of enforcement.

And let's face it. A campfire at a campsite is a far cry from the campfire the morons lit on Smith Creek. It was built right on the trail with a dry grassy slope within a couple feet. It's just too bad idiots like this ruin it for everyone because a campfire is real nice to have. Cuts down on what you need to carry when backpacking. Annoys me that it's the same thing year after year, no fires during camping season.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

A lot of campers using the "certified" propane campfires now. One person on my patrol on the weekend said he will always use his now, even when no fire ban. Easy to light, turn propane on to light, hit the button and it is going. Easy to put out, just turn the knob to off. No wood to cut, no fighting with the smoke. Can roast wieners or marshmallows, or put the grill on it and cook a steak. Easy on propane unless you operate it on full. And ...it is safe.

Relative to patrols. Fire Wardens, C & E officers, CO's, and RCMP are patrolling. You never know where or when one will show up.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

We were at a campground in late July and there is also a campground right next door. The first night there, a young couple had a huge rip roaring fire going, husband over the fence said, hey, there is a camp fire ban on ! Young man says, we asked the owner, he said go ahead, obviously the owner of this campground doesn't care, place is for sale and I can sure understand why our campground was full and his empty, so not looked after. Owner of the campground we were in said the next day that the young couple who had the fire going tried to check in and he took one look at them and saw "trouble" and said he had no room. I know shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but in this case he was right.

The propane campfires, we've been thinking about getting one but have heard that they go through propane really fast, any truth to this ?????
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Bubalouie wrote: The propane campfires, we've been thinking about getting one but have heard that they go through propane really fast, any truth to this ?????

My information is that if you want a fire with flames a foot high then yes they guzzle propane. A small fire is very reasonable on propane consumption. The one camper I chatted with about it had used his three nights and still had well over half a 20 lb bottle left.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I'm surprised they dropped the fire ban, because next week is forecasted to be hot & sunny.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The ban can always be reinstated.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

That is true.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

Also now that the nights are getting longer thee is better overnight recovery as far as longer periods of humidity and dew. There are a number of factors beyond just temperature and precipitation that are taken into consideration.

Return to “2014 Fire Watch”