Kelowna one of the most godless places in the world

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

What is Your Religious Affiliation?

Buddhist
1%
Christian (Catholic)
1%
Christian (Protestant)
14%
Christian (other)
9%
Wiccan
3%
Jewish
No votes
Muslim
1%
Sikh
No votes
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality
3%
Other
5%
No Religious Affiliation
63%

Total votes: 94

Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by Monsterdriver »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Sep 2nd, 2014, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comments removed.
Stupid or Ugly; you need to decide, you can't be both
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

nextimeround wrote:Interesting report. I would have thought the opposite true. The Okanagan has always come across as a Christian strong hold to me. Who would have thought?

Christians are to busy helping the poor, feeding the hungry, giving hope to the destitute to go online and participate in useless polls such as this. By the way atheists and non believers, your in the minority, go figure.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

rookie314 wrote:
Christians are to busy helping the poor, feeding the hungry, giving hope to the destitute to go online and participate in useless polls such as this. By the way atheists and non believers, your in the minority, go figure.

Or handing out disturbing pro-life pamphlets near the hospital, and fighting against gay marriage.
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

rookie314 wrote:Christians are to busy helping the poor, feeding the hungry, giving hope to the destitute to go online and participate in useless polls such as this. By the way atheists and non believers, your in the minority, go figure.

You obviously have never been where the people are poor, hungry and destitute. "The poorer the people the bigger the steeple!"
If any of that bull was true, then sell your computer and feed some hungry people. Sell off the churches property and buildings, stocks, bonds and investments and put it towards helping poor and hungry people, and maybe you will win over some intelligent converts.

If your god is almighty, then why doesn't he get rid of all the other gods?
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

[/quote]Christians are to busy helping the poor, feeding the hungry, giving hope to the destitute to go online and participate in useless polls such as this. By the way atheists and non believers, your in the minority, go figure.[/quote]

It's too bad you're so bothered by this poll.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Monsterdriver wrote:
If your god is almighty, then why doesn't he get rid of all the other gods?

Love it.
Good god.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
mwalsh

Post by mwalsh »

Gixxer wrote:
Or handing out disturbing pro-life pamphlets near the hospital, and fighting against gay marriage.

I'm a devout Christien. I am also pro-choice, I advocate for For equality (which includes LGBT rights, freedoms, and marriage), I do not force my views or religion onto others, and I am certainly respectful of others views and beliefs.
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

mwalsh wrote:I'm a devout Christien. I am also pro-choice, I advocate for For equality (which includes LGBT rights, freedoms, and marriage), I do not force my views or religion onto others, and I am certainly respectful of others views and beliefs.

My grandfather left me with the following advice:

Regarding travel; "When in a foreign land, beware your countryman."
Regarding penis length; "When the buckets at the bottom of the well, there's no point sending down more rope."
Regarding a new acquaintance; "Distrust the man that introduces himself with "I'm always honest, or "I'm a christian"."

Sorry, but Granddad never told me wrong.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:This is not a religious debate about who is right or wrong.

Now that we've got that out of the way....

Really?? How long have you been on this forum?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

mwalsh wrote:I'm a devout Christien. I am also pro-choice, I advocate for For equality (which includes LGBT rights, freedoms, and marriage), I do not force my views or religion onto others, and I am certainly respectful of others views and beliefs.

Did Jesus force his views on others? Not really, but he gave powerful reasons to accept them.

Was he pro-choice? Of course they didn't have those operations back then, but the Law he followed would have not allowed it.

Was he for equality of everyone, including lifestyles that were against the law in his day? Of course he followed the law.

Did you know that a Christian is one who follows Christ? 2 out of 3 things you mentioned were things Jesus was opposed to. You knows who opposed Jesus right? Whose side are you on anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for having the choice to make your own decisions in life on what to believe or not believe in. I just can't wrap my head around some people who claim to be very Christian and yet don't agree with Jesus? You must not believe in the Bible too, but thats where you learn about him, so it just gets more confusing.

I guess you just make it up as you go. (also something Jesus didn't do, he constantly referred back to what is written)
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

OREZ wrote:Really?? How long have you been on this forum?

I'm a slow learner. Plus, I'm a bit naive.

nextimeround wrote:Interesting report. I would have thought the opposite true. The Okanagan has always come across as a Christian strong hold to me. Who would have thought?

Relative to other places in BC, the Okanagan has a higher percentage of Christians, but relative to the rest of Canada, it's quite low. The only places outside of BC that come close to the Okanagan in terms of number of non-religious folks are the Yukon and Calgary.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Hmmm wrote:Did Jesus force his views on others? Not really, but he gave powerful reasons to accept them.

Was he pro-choice? Of course they didn't have those operations back then, but the Law he followed would have not allowed it.

Was he for equality of everyone, including lifestyles that were against the law in his day? Of course he followed the law.

Did you know that a Christian is one who follows Christ? 2 out of 3 things you mentioned were things Jesus was opposed to. You knows who opposed Jesus right? Whose side are you on anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for having the choice to make your own decisions in life on what to believe or not believe in. I just can't wrap my head around some people who claim to be very Christian and yet don't agree with Jesus? You must not believe in the Bible too, but thats where you learn about him, so it just gets more confusing.

I guess you just make it up as you go. (also something Jesus didn't do, he constantly referred back to what is written)

See what you've gone and done there Glacier? ;-)
"My interpretation of Christianity is better than your interpretation of Christianity"
"Oh ya"
"Ya"
"Says who?"
"Me and my gun that's who"
Monsterdriver
Fledgling

Post by Monsterdriver »

Hmmm wrote:Was he pro-choice? Of course they didn't have those operations back then, but the Law he followed would have not allowed it.

Hmmm, take note:

"The written evidence of abortion reflects the interests of class and caste. Fines are listed in the Code of Hammurabi, ca. 1760 BCE, for the crime of causing a miscarriage through assault, with the amount varying according to the social rank of the woman.[3][4] The Vedic and smrti laws of India reflect a concern with preserving the male seed of the three upper castes; and the religious courts imposed various penances for the woman or excommunication for a priest who provided an abortion.[5] The only evidence of the death penalty being mandated for abortion in the ancient laws is found in Assyrian Law, in the Code of Assura, c. 1075 BCE;[6] and this is only imposed on a woman who procures an abortion against her husband's wishes. The first recorded evidence of induced abortion is from the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus in 1550 BCE.[7]"

I think you've been getting your information from the wrong book. This information comes from several cultures, and they opposed abortion, so it must have existed. These things occurred several thousand years before your christ was supposed to exist. If your wrong once.......................
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

Hhhmmm....there was no law regarding the life or rights of an unborn fetus...in fact, it was not a crime to cause abortion - you just had to pay the father a fine for destruction of his property. Only if the mother died was it considered murder, or the taking of a life.
No where in your bible is abortion mentioned...right or wrong.....which is why I always find it so ironic that people use that same book to preach about how it is a sin according to god, Jesus and the bible.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I didn't realize this thread was about abortion.

For some reason I always thought that Armstrong was known to have a lot of Christians, but I see that it actually has one of the highest numbers of non-religious populations in the Okanagan at 50%, though still much lower than North Okanagan Area D (Lumby-Cherryville) where it is 62%.

At the other end of the spectrum, Osoyoos is only 36% non-religious, and 57% Christian. It seems like Indian reservations are ether almost entirely Catholic (like Priest's Valley near Enderby) or highly non-religious.

The town with the highest percentage of non-religious people in BC (and probably Canada) is Wells at 80%. The lowest is the Fraser Valley area D at 27%.

The place with the highest percentage Muslim is the Capilano Indian Reservation at 19%.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”