A Question of the Path to Heaven

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
annexi
Board Meister
Posts: 374
Joined: Jul 19th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by annexi »

What has been a struggle for me in my personal journey is knowing/learning what love looks like in different situations -ie what are the actions/thoughts that spring from love. Without being derogatory to Christianity, I think my Christian programming obscured a path of love in some sense, because acting like a Christian in the loving way I was taught got me into hot water a lot (I can see now in retrospect; however it was also this foundation of Christianity that formed the basis for a new understanding of the unseen world/god so I won't trash talk it).

glacier and masen speak of grace and humility. For me, admitting I don't know how to love at the depth I want to & asking to be shown was/is a humility that perhaps leads (is leading) to grace.

When Pandora opened the box and all the bad came out, what was left at the bottom was hope. Hope is powerful, hope can float one through bad times, hope that there is a 'path to heaven' and a beautiful place waiting for us is, I believe, another powerful force for people on their personal journeys.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
masen
Fledgling
Posts: 306
Joined: Feb 26th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by masen »

To change the condition of the heart means what? Is that an attitude or a quiet, stillness in the mind of a type of knowing? I believe that there can be no emotion with it as then the intellectual mind is involved and with it the emotion. The stillness of the mind without its usual demands, wants, desires of any and all kinds allows this attitude to come into being. In this way, answers of all kinds will come forth for helping us to understand others and ourselves.
User avatar
annexi
Board Meister
Posts: 374
Joined: Jul 19th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by annexi »

masen wrote:To change the condition of the heart means what? Is that an attitude or a quiet, stillness in the mind of a type of knowing? .


The condition of the heart begins to change when the brain programs that no longer serve fall away. To quote a wise old auntie: "the brain is a funny thing, it tries to control you." Stillness of the mind is golden. In that state, a greater truth is free to flow through this physical vessel the brain.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
alexoliversen
Fledgling
Posts: 181
Joined: Oct 11th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by alexoliversen »

After living life a bit I have realized what is meant by "Narrow is the road to heaven." As I see that in my life I want a very specific dream and I don't want any other dream. Thus not being lead astray by illusions aka. other people's reality as that is the danger of having too much empathy or being too kind. You can't get to the heaven you are looking for if you going any which way, you have to have a destination in mind.

Note: I also realized "Many roads to the top of the mountain" does not conflict with the first statement because it is not talking about what path you want to choose but is only saying we all have our own individual paths that we want to take.
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3020
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by Hmmm »

alexoliversen wrote:After living life a bit I have realized what is meant by "Narrow is the road to heaven." As I see that in my life I want a very specific dream and I don't want any other dream. Thus not being lead astray by illusions aka. other people's reality as that is the danger of having too much empathy or being too kind. You can't get to the heaven you are looking for if you going any which way, you have to have a destination in mind.

I appreciate your thoughts, but if you're referring to the road to life Jesus mentioned in the Bible, than you're conclusion is the exact opposite of what is referred to. Maybe thats not the road your were talking about.

The Bible verse that talks about the two roads, mentions that they go somewhere and where those both lead to. The reason I mention that your idea is the exact opposite of this narrow road, is the self determination and not the doing of Gods will is the wide and spacious road.

Jesus knew, most people will do what THEY want regardless of Gods thoughts or direction. There are of course many scriptures that support this, but than again, maybe you weren't even referring to that road in the first place.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
alexoliversen
Fledgling
Posts: 181
Joined: Oct 11th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by alexoliversen »

Hmmm wrote:I appreciate your thoughts, but if you're referring to the road to life Jesus mentioned in the Bible, than you're conclusion is the exact opposite of what is referred to. Maybe thats not the road your were talking about.

The Bible verse that talks about the two roads, mentions that they go somewhere and where those both lead to. The reason I mention that your idea is the exact opposite of this narrow road, is the self determination and not the doing of Gods will is the wide and spacious road.

Jesus knew, most people will do what THEY want regardless of Gods thoughts or direction. There are of course many scriptures that support this, but than again, maybe you weren't even referring to that road in the first place.


Well that where I disagree with you. I believe God helps those who help themselves. If your heaven only has people who benefit at the suffering of others then its a heaven I don't want to be part of. If your going to do work its only fair you get paid, and if you help people its only fair you get something in return. Thus by chasing our dreams we find a greater heaven as those who help us achieve our dreams are also rewarded in return. Thus I believe I was foolish to be lead astray wasting precious time which I could have been working at my greater goals in life.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35555
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by Glacier »

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
~ Psalm 34:18
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Hmmm
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3020
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by Hmmm »

alexoliversen wrote:Well that where I disagree with you. I believe God helps those who help themselves. If your heaven only has people who benefit at the suffering of others then its a heaven I don't want to be part of. If your going to do work its only fair you get paid, and if you help people its only fair you get something in return. Thus by chasing our dreams we find a greater heaven as those who help us achieve our dreams are also rewarded in return. Thus I believe I was foolish to be lead astray wasting precious time which I could have been working at my greater goals in life.

That's all up to you of course, just know that your ideas are the opposite of what you quoted about the two roads. I guess the road leading to life has now become just philosophical expression for people to use as they wish. To be clearer, the doing what you want and feel is best, is what Satan offered Eve. Do you think Jesus would suggest the same thing?

I realize you don't care about the Bible and think it's not Gods word, but you quoted from it, so I commented.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
alexoliversen
Fledgling
Posts: 181
Joined: Oct 11th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by alexoliversen »

Well that's the thing. I realize that we are all people, and we all have our own personal agendas. Thus greatest good is not just the good for oneself as it selfish, nor is it just the good for others as that would be the selfishness of others. But the greatest good is the common good that we all can share together, thus community and civilization, meaning the good that is both good for myself and others. Thus there is four quadrants - MINUS MINUS, PLUS MINUS, MINUS PLUS, AND PLUS PLUS. Thus we are always seeking out that PLUS PLUS, and in order to do so, we all need to communicate in order to find and understand what that common good is. So I am not 100% following you as my family comes from a different culture and religion, but I was born in Canada so I am trying to seek out that common wisdom and understanding that we all share.
User avatar
annexi
Board Meister
Posts: 374
Joined: Jul 19th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Re: A Question of the Path to Heaven

Post by annexi »

Glacier wrote:The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
~ Psalm 34:18

Aww that's a powerfully comforting thought. I hope it's true. I believe there IS wisdom to be found in scriptural texts.

Reminds me of 'blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.'
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”