Kelowna one of the most godless places in the world

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

What is Your Religious Affiliation?

Buddhist
1%
Christian (Catholic)
1%
Christian (Protestant)
14%
Christian (other)
9%
Wiccan
3%
Jewish
No votes
Muslim
1%
Sikh
No votes
Traditional (Aboriginal) Spirituality
3%
Other
5%
No Religious Affiliation
63%

Total votes: 94

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna is one of the most godless places in the world

Post by averagejoe »

OREZ wrote:Well, what about Zoroastrianism, or Rastafarianism, or Jainism, or Eckankar, or, or, or... lol

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Why not? You might be surprised?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

I think thats a good point. If we are voting on the mythologies of today, what about the past mythologies. Do people still believe in the gods that came before the current popular god. Greek Mythology (Zeus, Hera), Norse (Odin, Thor), Egyptian (Osiris), etc....

I wonder if there are a few followers of Thor out there or a high priest of Osiris.

Also please add Pastafarian to your list. May all of you be touched by noodle appendage. FSM the one true god!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Agree! Put it all out there! Maybe the others on the poll are some kind of other religion?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If your religion is not on the list, post it in this thread, and I'll add it to the list.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

It's a safe bet there is no god,so really we are all godless.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Glacier wrote:If your religion is not on the list, post it in this thread, and I'll add it to the list.

I haven't checked mine off yet. It's on there.

JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

It does seem to be increasingly rare that I run into someone who is religious, let alone Christian. The only exceptions are the people who come to my door to invite me to service.

Honestly, I think in another decade it will be so common place in North America that we will start to see people who are front and center, such as politicians and such pandering to godless people like me in the same way they pander to the flock.
Vernon1

Post by Vernon1 »

"Embrace spirituality, be wary of all religions"

There will always be religion for people that find comfort in being told how to think (and act).

Hopefully what we are seeing in today's world is people finding out about their own true self (spiritual) without the religious aspect.

After all, most religions are based on "being the best person you can be". This message is often lost in religions by corruption, greed, and the need to control people.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Vernon1 wrote:"Embrace spirituality, be wary of all religions."

Yes I think god needs to be discovered outside the boundaries of religion. Religion is a man-made construct driven and developed by culture, politics, and ego over millennia. As such, the truths held within religion are, in my opinion, too enmeshed with the falsehoods of religion to be able to parse which is which.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

So then could our 'Godless Kelowna'' be ready for this?

Sunday Assembly

A global movement of wonder and good.

http://sundayassembly.com/story/

Our Story

The Sunday Assembly started on a car journey to Bath when two comedians, Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans (pictured), realised that they wanted to do something that had all the best bits of church, but without the religion, and awesome pop songs.

The first version of this was in January 6th 2013, and though they weren’t expecting many people, the entire place was full. At the next Assembly there were 300. Then they had to go to two services a day. And then it went viral.

Now there are 28 Assemblies across the world (check here to find one near you), and it looks like there’ll be 100 by the end of 2014. It is the most exciting thing in the world.

People across the world were drawn to our simple values, clear message and excellent mission.

We are a godless congregation that celebrates of life.
We have an awesome motto: Live Better, Help Often and Wonder More.
A super mission: to try to help everyone find and fulfil their full potential.
An awesome vision: a godless congregation in every town city, or village that wants one.
We are dedicated to helping the people that attend, and the folk in the wider community, to make the most of this one life that we know we have. We harness fun and joy and wonder to build communities and to help others.

Apparently it's happening in Vancouver

http://www.meetup.com/SundayAssemblyVancouver/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It also happens in Calgary (which is Canada's most godless city east of BC).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

So, is anybody here ready for a Sunday Assembly in Kelowna?
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

1nick wrote:It's a safe bet there is no god,so really we are all godless.

There is no god that is separate from everything else. We are all made up of god bits and since we create our own reality, we are all our own gods and goddesses. So there is no godlessness. "We are stardust, We are Golden and we've got to get ourselves back to the Garden".
"Creator is at the center of the Universe and that center is everywhere. It is part of every one of us," Black Elk.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I would agree with the "we are all stardust" because we are in fact. How ever the rest of it nooot so much lol. But hey, that's ok.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Yes.......interesting, Kelowna is one of the most Godless places, and has the fourth highest crime rate in the country. Don't fool yourself Into thinking there is no connection here. Before God was kicked out, there was very little crime. Canada and the USA have been declining in ALL areas, because we think we can be successful without God. I liked it better when HE was allowed and accepted and believed and honored. The world was a much better place.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”