BC medical services

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
norton123
Fledgling

BC medical services

Post by norton123 »

Can anyone direct me to the proper way of dealing with bc medical billing dept.i owe $600 in back arrears due to an accident at work and was'nt able to pay due to not working, applied for temp. Assistance, turned down and am now getting calls constantly by a machine to call them, however trying to weave through their automated system gets to frustrating. I know I will have to get this taken care of, my biggest peeve is they want monthly payments and for what do you get in return? I can't find a doctor I use walk in clinics and am on a wait list for a Mir for up to 12 month wait list, was sent for physical therapy and was told it's not covered, so exactly what does a person pay for through bc medical and yet can'nt get any services?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Bc medical services

Post by Gixxer »

Your paying for that next unexpected doctor visit you may need one day, all the low income single parents, and senior citizens.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Gixxer wrote:Your paying for that next unexpected doctor visit you may need one day, all the low income single parents, and senior citizens.

Exactly!
norton123
Fledgling

Post by norton123 »

Last time I went in for my drivers physical it cost me $75,again what's covered?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Contact your local MLA, explain situation and let them deal with it.
kmeldrum

Post by kmeldrum »

While BC Medical doesn't cover everything, such as the therapy you required, it covers the essential medical services all BC residents may require. By this I mean any routine or emergency procedure you may need and the fact that when you do get to see a doctor (I appreciate that it can be a challenge) this is at no additional cost to you. In other countries, a doctor's visit cna be in the hundreds of collars.

I come from a position of being a heavy user of our socialized health care system (my thanks to all of you) as I suffered significant injuries in a car accident in 1986 that required multiple surgeries (and more in my future), numerous emergency room visits, hospitals stays, as well as various medical procedures and treatments. All of this was at no cost and some of my surgeries exceeded $100,000. If not for BC Medical, my family and I would have been bankrupted by these costs.

Again, I appreciate it's not a perfect system, but I would offer it is very, very good.

I would suggest that the time it takes to work though an automated attendant system is worth the heavily subsidized, incredible health care we enjoy. If there is a financial issue, BC Medical has very effective programs to assist people with that.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

just popping in wrote:Contact your local MLA, explain situation and let them deal with it.

This is not your local MLA's issue but your own.

Yes MSP can be annoying to get through to, you can wade through the automated (sometimes just by hitting 0) and talk to an agent. You may be able to make a payment plan arrangement to cover the costs over time but if you do nothing but say "they are difficult" they will eventually garnish any and all wages or benefit payments you are receiving or may receive.

They are however not a heartless group and any payment plans (unless you default) will be almost always agreed to.

kmeldrum wrote:I would suggest that the time it takes to work though an automated attendant system is worth the heavily subsidized, incredible health care we enjoy. If there is a financial issue, BC Medical has very effective programs to assist people with that.

Depending on wages of the last tax year premium assistance may not be available but due to circumstances may be discussed with an agent to establish the current situation and why.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gixxer wrote:Your paying for that next unexpected doctor visit you may need one day, all the low income single parents, and senior citizens.

As one of those senior citizens that you seem to think get free medical coverage you don't know diddly!
We have paid into the health care system most of our lives and I still pay through my old employer as part of my retirement package. My wife's is paid out of her pension and it's not cheap! We don't get a free ride!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Phone BC medical service and tell them you would like to opt out off the service. Let me know how that works out for you the next time you have to go the Doctor, or emergency room. I guarantee you'll be wishing you paid into to BC medical services when you get that first bill in the mail.
Do you own a house, drive a car, why pay for insurances on them?
Last edited by Gixxer on Oct 1st, 2014, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Bsuds wrote:
As one of those senior citizens that you seem to think get free medical coverage you don't know diddly!
We have paid into the health care system most of our lives and I still pay through my old employer as part of my retirement package. My wife's is paid out of her pension and it's not cheap! We don't get a free ride!

I'm not saying senior citizens get a free ride, but the cost to take care of them is alot higher than younger people.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Pay the bill with what you can afford each month.

If it's ten bucks or only two, they'll send you more bills with your account balance, but at least you're showing effort to pay them.

If they can't figure that out , screw them.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:
Gixxer wrote:
I'm not saying senior citizens get a free ride, but the cost to take care of them is alot higher than younger people.

Don't forget, you will get there one day too! lol

It averages out.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Bsuds wrote:
Don't forget, you will get there one day too! lol

It averages out.

I know, thats why I dont have a problem paying into it. I fall into the higher tax bracket so I'm forced to pay the max.
norton123
Fledgling

Post by norton123 »

Again I'm a tad confused, I was under the assumption we had free health care in Canada, getting a bill every month for services not rendered or not covered is not free,I have tried to resolve this but one can only deal with rude govt. workers for so long, I will pay the bill in full and when I informed them I wanted out of there system, well that involes a whole new dept. and more automated services. I know things are'nt always perfect, but dealing with anyone in the bc govt. has to me been the most frustrating exp.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

So, you get out of their system.
The next day you have a heart attack and need bypass surgery.
Have fun paying for that one.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Health”