90% of Egyptian Muslims

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

90% of Egyptian Muslims

Post by I Think »

According to a poll I just heard about, 90% of Egyptian Muslims believe that any person who leaves the Muslim faith should be killed.
Does anyone know if this is true?
We're lost but we're making good time.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: 90% of Egyptian Muslims

Post by JLives »

Nibs wrote:According to a poll I just heard about, 90% of Egyptian Muslims believe that any person who leaves the Muslim faith should be killed.
Does anyone know if this is true?

That number came from the Real Time debate with Sam Harris, Bill Maher and Ben Affleck.

The numbers I found aren't 90% but are still quite high at 85%. http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... iadolikeit
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I stand corrected, according to a PEW poll 64% of Pakistanis and Egyptians support the death penalty for anyone leaving the Muslim faith.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

I have to admitt I find the numbers and their reasoning to be appalling, I just do not get it??
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Perhaps the bigger question is, what should we do about it?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I think that the West has a distorted view of the Middle East. Sure there are militant sects in certain parts, but should we treat them any different than we do of those in South America or Africa? The Middle East has Western influence and most of the wealthier nations are not militant like we see in the news. Furthermore, the population is much younger than that of the West and has all the same technology causing there beliefs to change naturally over time.

North America is controlled by a handful of media titans that often feed us inaccurate and bias news. I think one should explore that part of the world to experience it themselves rather than rely on second hand information. I am not defending the extremists whatsoever, however, we should keep our noses out of their business. If we, as Canadians, want to contribute to the cause.we should do it medically rather than via guns and bombs.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

But when a huge majority of Muslims feel that a person leaving the Muslim faith should be killed, it is a mainstream problem, not extremist.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Nibs wrote:But when a huge majority of Muslims feel that a person leaving the Muslim faith should be killed, it is a mainstream problem, not extremist.

Its early in the AM and I may be a little dreary, so correct me if I am wrong, but what I pulled from the poll is simply how many Muslims prefer Sharia law, which is a moral code that guides their laws. The poll also states that the majority don't even care if people practice other religions. I see nothing wrong with the poll. Its the same as asking Westerners if Christianity should be the guiding light of Western society. There are fanatical sects of Christianity and Judaism that also believe the same of their own religion.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

We have lived in two Muslim countries and found the general population to be no different than anyone else other than religion. They were not fanatics or terrorists and did not preach their religion to us or anyone else we knew. They were open and honest when asked about the religion and/or their beliefs. I was more comfortable with them than most "Christians" here for the simple reason we were accepted for who we were. My husband has worked in several Muslim countries for the past 20 years, never had an issue. I don't believe that this is a "mainstream" issue, although I do agree that the fanatics are extremely dangerous....it is just sad, IMO, that it is effecting the way people feel about the average person of the Muslim faith. Polls are just what they are....a cross section simply taken from those who feel strongly enough for/against a particular subject to bother to voice their opinion and do not, IMO, represent the majority.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Xia33 wrote: I don't believe that this is a "mainstream" issue, although I do agree that the fanatics are extremely dangerous....it is just sad, IMO, that it is effecting the way people feel about the average person of the Muslim faith. Polls are just what they are....a cross section simply taken from those who feel strongly enough for/against a particular subject to bother to voice their opinion and do not, IMO, represent the majority.

Unfortunately, things like mistreatment of women and children as well as violence towards non believers is not just an extremest problem, as last I checked it was printed in every Qur'an on the planet.

The same could easily be said about every other Abrahamic religion, as they all can easily point someone in the wrong direction.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here is the video we are talking about.

JonyDarko wrote:The same could easily be said about every other Abrahamic religion, as they all can easily point someone in the wrong direction.

Ah yes, the old "all religions are equal" mantra. Here is Bill Maher setting a Christian straight in that regard.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

JonyDarko wrote:

Unfortunately, things like mistreatment of women and children as well as violence towards non believers is not just an extremest problem, as last I checked it was printed in every Qur'an on the planet.

The same could easily be said about every other Abrahamic religion, as they all can easily point someone in the wrong direction.

The same can be said for many religions. Judaism comes to mind.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

there is no limit
to how gullible
and stupid
a canadian can be
if they think
90% of Egyptian Muslims believe that any person who leaves the Muslim faith should be killed.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Thinktank wrote:there is no limit
to how gullible
and stupid
a canadian can be
if they think
90% of Egyptian Muslims believe that any person who leaves the Muslim faith should be killed.

Is that an attempt at a haiku?
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

of course it is not
an attempt at a haiku
why would you thinks so?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”