Basran as mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
EdCase
Board Meister

Basran as mayor?

Post by EdCase »

Since her announcement, Sharon Shepherd has been been getting as lot of attention - both positive & negative - on her capabilities as Mayor. As Colin Basran is the only other credible candidate, it's time to take a closer look at his record as a one-term Councillor.

First: Basran was elected with the support of the FourChange astro-turf gang; a small but influential group of narrow self interest who were angry at Shepherd for challenging the influence of the 'Kelowna Old Boys' Club'. These people will do their best to ensure that they retain their influence over City Hall. Basran is also being supported by the current self-professed glitterazzi in town; another group that acts out of self-interest rather than the community as a whole. Question: do we want another Mayor who is strongly influenced by a narrow section of the community?

Second: Basran has limited experience as a one-term Councillor on a Council that achieved very little, particularly in the area of sustainable economic development. A look at his web page platform shows a lot of platitudes with no substantive detail as to how he will move the City forward. Question: can we afford another Mayor with no real ideas as to how to build a dynamic community?

Third: Basran is a nice young man, but right now he's Kelowna's version of Justin Trudeau; eye-candy without any gravitas, or as we say in Alberta, "All hat and no cattle." Question: can we afford to entrust Kelowna's future to an untried person who is offering no real sense of how he will act?

There is still a long time to go in this campaign and we need serious answers from all of the candidates as to precisely how they will work to help Kelowna realize it's potential. We are now electing them for four years, so the decision is even more important!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
jamapple
Übergod

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by jamapple »

I think this Council could work with either Basran or Shepherd as a very constructive team.

This is a quote from a poat on another civic election forum page. I had to go back and double check, as I thought you previously said Basran would work well with the coucil you chose. Now here you say he's a puppet, eye candy, inexperienced, (which I agree with). Just wondering what you think of Mr. Basran.
Just looking for clarification.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

jamapple wrote:I think this Council could work with either Basran or Shepherd as a very constructive team.

This is a quote from a poat on another civic election forum page. I had to go back and double check, as I thought you previously said Basran would work well with the coucil you chose. Now here you say he's a puppet, eye candy, inexperienced, (which I agree with). Just wondering what you think of Mr. Basran.
Just looking for clarification.

My views on Basran are as I have stated here - I do not believe he is suitable as Mayor. However, if he is elected, then the candidates I mentioned would be a good balance to him; after all, the Mayor is only one vote.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
treeman97

Post by treeman97 »

I'm curious about the phrase "the old boys club" that keeps getting thrown around, generally in a disparaging manner. It seems to me that a pro-business, pro-growth philosophy would attract business, generate job, stimulate the local economy, raise the standard of living and in doing so increase the tax income to the city allowing for either a lower tax increase or more money for parks, infrastructure and social amenities. Profit in business is not a four letter word. It is what keeps business alive and keeps wage earners like me employed.

I've met Mr. Basran on several occasions as I have also met Mrs. Shepherd. Both seemed concerned and listened to what I had to say. However Mrs. Shepherd had her chance in the mayor's seat and with several long term councillors returning to private life, new blood in the mayor's chair would offer the city some new and exciting ideas for the future. I'm looking forward to hearing their platforms develop and to hearing them debate each other.
How to start an argument: State an opinion and wait.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

treeman97 wrote:I'm curious about the phrase "the old boys club" that keeps getting thrown around, generally in a disparaging manner. It seems to me that a pro-business, pro-growth philosophy would attract business, generate job, stimulate the local economy, raise the standard of living and in doing so increase the tax income to the city allowing for either a lower tax increase or more money for parks, infrastructure and social amenities. Profit in business is not a four letter word. It is what keeps business alive and keeps wage earners like me employed.

I've met Mr. Basran on several occasions as I have also met Mrs. Shepherd. Both seemed concerned and listened to what I had to say. However Mrs. Shepherd had her chance in the mayor's seat and with several long term councillors returning to private life, new blood in the mayor's chair would offer the city some new and exciting ideas for the future. I'm looking forward to hearing their platforms develop and to hearing them debate each other.

There is no expiry date on ability. Shepherd had her time in the seat because she earned it after 3 terms as councillor. Do you know that in those 3 elections Shepherd went from #3 in total votes, to #2 to Number 1 during the '02 election. Then smoked Wally in '05. People of Kelowna are smart and saw what she could do. She then parlayed that knowledge and drive into the Mayor chair, and Kelowna saw its single most affluent period in a 100 years of history during her first term as mayor, setting the stage for what would come. But as it became clear she does not coddle or bend or submit her integrity or the chair to the highest bidder, the detractors start lining up to get their own agendas on the slate. It took a while, but they eventually bought the mayor's chair back for the Old Boy Wally . . . who quickly took advantage of the hard work completed during the previous 6 years for his own personal gain and outgoing photo opts including the one from last Thursday standing with the next do-nothing puppet figure of the old boys of Kelowna. It hurts one's intelligence to suggest there is anything even remotely close in make up between Shepherd and Hasran . . . I mean Basran. He even endorsed Shepherd as the only other legitimate contender in the race when asked. Of course he appointed himself as one too. He doesn't think much of the others. Fat head syndrome run amuck. Curious, though, he attended OUC for 5 years. Did he achieve any paper or did he just have his name on the register? That surely must qualify him to manage a corporation like Kelowna. Anyone who suggests they are equal is lying, naive, requires research, or worst of all, has been bought.

TTHR
Last edited by Mtn Biker on Oct 12th, 2014, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

Mtn Biker wrote:That surely must qualify him to manage a corporation like Kelowna.

Shepherd doesn't have the education to qualify her either. Besides that, I continually hear people say that the mayor runs our city, but they don't. Ron Mattiussi is the one who manages Kelowna. Council, including the mayor, has to go through him to get any information they are interested in.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

PDT wrote:Besides that, I continually hear people say that the mayor runs our city, but they don't. Ron Mattiussi is the one who manages Kelowna. Council, including the mayor, has to go through him to get any information they are interested in.

This is one key issue I will be wanting to hear from the candidates on; how will they take back control over City Hall.

Mayor & Council are elected to represent the interests of the citizens and ensure that their tax dollars are spent wisely over both the short and long terms. City Hall staff are there to carry out the direction set by M&C on our behalf: yes, we expect staff to offer their advice and direction based on their professional knowledge, but they are not - or should not - run the City.

Unfortunately, the reverse is true in Kelowna and during Gray's tenure, there has been a too cosy relationship between the mayor and City Manager. It's important that the two respect and trust each other, but at the end of the day the City Manager has to clearly understand who he reports to and takes his orders from.

Frankly, the City manager will eat Basran for lunch: he just doesn't have the experience and backbone to stand up to the City staff. Shepherd on the other hand was less than popular with some of the senior City management as she insisted on direct contact with staff - something that the new Council are always told is a complete no-no when they receive their indoctrination.

For me, this is one of the key questions I will be wanting the candidates to address.
Marcus Aurelius
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

PDT wrote:Shepherd doesn't have the education to qualify her either. Besides that, I continually hear people say that the mayor runs our city, but they don't. Ron Mattiussi is the one who manages Kelowna. Council, including the mayor, has to go through him to get any information they are interested in.

I don't have her transcripts in front of but pretty sure there is a BSc in her background. One substantiated by a degree document. I am just hoping someone investigates to see if CB actually has one. Second, what comes from experience is education . . . that's the first thing you learn in school. On that note she is a Master, PhD if you like, and Colin the Gray is barely cutting first year and about to fail again. Either way, please put down the clicker and get informed. Hope that helps.

TTHR
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

Not sure what a "clicker" is, but I'm way more informed than you know. Basran education was being put down as not qualifying for mayor material and I'm pointing out Shepherd's education doesn't either - a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy is hardly helpful to lead council.

Now, if we are talking about experience instead of education, then, yes, she has put in more time in a council seat. During all that time, has Kelowna gone in the direction we want? Changing things takes quite a while, but she had plenty of time to make things happen.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

A BSc does indicate some brains and is something Mr. Basran has not been able to accomplish.

Basran comes across as someone with no education and no qualifications who really, really needs a job and the $70k mayor's slot looks pretty cool to him.
CherylJ1

Post by CherylJ1 »

I prefer to look at a candidate's leadership and actions rather than credentials!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

CherylJ1 wrote:I prefer to look at a candidate's leadership and actions rather than credentials!

If they have never held a position to show how they would do those things...then what?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

Yes, it would be nice to have some new, fresh blood in....but we don't want to just pick someone because they are younger. I am trying to figure out, after reading Basran's platform, and following him in the news the last few months, what his agenda really is, besides supporting the high tech industry. Most of whom are moving into Kelowna from Alberta and the coast, bringing their own people with them, and not creating jobs for those already here. Having seen them all at the big "tech" convention at the El in the spring, it was very clear that they "stick to themselves" and are coming to Kelowna for the lifestyle and weather, not necessarily to promote and contribute to the sustainability of our city. It concerns me that the high tech industry seems to be a big draw of Basrans, and I have not heard him speak of any issues to do with the environment, job creation for the people already here, or sustaining current businesses. The high tech industry does not add a lot to our city, because they are mainly designing systems and what not for companies in bigger cities. Kelowna is just a "nice" place for them to have an office and work. But how is this really contributing to our economy? I would like to know if anyone can enlighten me. Other than they will buy real estate here and groceries, etc. But they are really not creating jobs for our current residents.

I also worry that with Basran being a realtor, that he is going to be promoting and approving any and every development that money wheeling big wigs from out of town present. Plus, with his background as first a news reporter, and now a Real Estate Agent, it concerns me that he does not have a well-rounded academic or political background and experience. He seems a little like he is trying to impress a certain facet of people in Kelowna, and caters to them. Rather than really considering the sustainability and longevity of our city and its current residents. I know many people who were raised in Kelowna, so using that as his platform isn't really doing much for me. Yes he's a nice guy, but so are many other people.

I guess I just seem his as quite naïve, and not astute, experienced or intellectual enough to be turning this city around and getting it on track again. Then again, if we look at the mayor's of other cities, perhaps this is what people want. I want someone who cares more about human, environmental, sustainable and social issues rather than the trendy high tech industry that will not be bringing jobs or much money into Kelowna because they usually hire their own and bring them with them. They are a cliquey crew. This platform of his is not cutting it for me. Yes, his supporting live music events is awesome. But I want more depth than that as someone's mayoral platform.
Last edited by okcitizen on Oct 13th, 2014, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Has Colin Basran actually moved from West Kelowna to Kelowna?

Career experience....news reporter, realtor?

Hmmmmm....
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

He lives in south Kelowna now

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”