Basran as mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by Mtn Biker »

habh wrote:
Basran is where he is through hard work, networking and having proven himself thus far. Is a political neophyte in many ways? Yes he his. But maybe a relative neophyte with strong values, in tune with families, in tunes with a variety of businesses, and openness and willingness to learn and create is a better option than same old same old.

Wow, we have the pro team joining now to spin the vision of competency with all the best smoke and mirrors. Known the lad a long enough time from a close enough vantage to know you're stretching and spinning the rhetoric. Hard work is not in this kid's CV, or he'd probably still be a reporter. That's hard work and he lasted how long? Then again, he was on TV so selling real estate should be easy, right? Not really, it too is hard work and how's that going for him.

It's just so 2011 to even suggest there is anything adequate about Basran's resume or examples of what he's done that would indicated he is as you say. Oh, unless you mean the things he takes credit for, but of which belongs to another. How do you spell "photo-op"?

No thanks. But we must remain hopeful and vigilant that Kelowna makes a better effort than 30% voter turn out. I bet the 450 Bernard crowd can only buy so many votes, maybe 15% or so and are counting on that. The job is to shake the apathy.

TTHR
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

No, I would not call Basran a hard worker. A nice guy, yes. But a hard worker he has not proven himself to be in either his current and past career domains.....neither of which he has been successful at, unfortunately. However, a networker he is. Oh that guy loves to network. It is what he does best with the downtown crowd. He loves to be seen and heard for sure. However, is "networking" a quality that is the foundation of a good mayor? Sure these qualities are great for his careers as a small town news reporter and real estate salesman. But it seems awfully shallow and all too simplistic to consider networking a noteworthy quality for someone running our city. I do not want a schmoozing follower who gets ahead by buddying up to people. I want a leader who is wise, worldly, educated and experienced. I am still waiting for someone to convince me that Basran is this person, because from what I have witnessed over the years, he is not.
habh

Post by habh »

Mtn Biker wrote:Wow, we have the pro team joining now to spin the vision of competency with all the best smoke and mirrors. Known the lad a long enough time from a close enough vantage to know you're stretching and spinning the rhetoric. Hard work is not in this kid's CV, or he'd probably still be a reporter. That's hard work and he lasted how long? Then again, he was on TV so selling real estate should be easy, right? Not really, it too is hard work and how's that going for him.

It's just so 2011 to even suggest there is anything adequate about Basran's resume or examples of what he's done that would indicated he is as you say. Oh, unless you mean the things he takes credit for, but of which belongs to another. How do you spell "photo-op"?

No thanks. But we must remain hopeful and vigilant that Kelowna makes a better effort than 30% voter turn out. I bet the 450 Bernard crowd can only buy so many votes, maybe 15% or so and are counting on that. The job is to shake the apathy.

TTHR

Ok, so persuade me who is a better candidate and why they are a better candidate.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

So far I am not on board with Mr. Basran yet appreciate the (mostly) thoughtful posts. I too am disappointed with his web page, especially with what little of substance he writes under "My platform" and "My vision".

He writes on his web page: "I always ask myself one question: “how can I make this situation better by connecting the right people, the right ideas and the right experiences?”

That might be a great slogan for selling real estate but with his lack of experience on council, how will he know who are the right people to connect, who will he turn to, to find the right ideas and when has he had the right experiences to prepare him as our Mayor?

I'm afraid that he may very well be still asking himself those questions 3 years from now. One term on council is not enough to prepare him as our leader.

I am waiting to see some feedback from him in print or on forums (Oct. 22 and 28). I know about Ms. Shepherd but know nothing of him.

habh wrote:Is a political neophyte in many ways? Yes he his. But maybe a relative neophyte with strong values, in tune with families, in tunes with a variety of businesses, and openness and willingness to learn and create is a better option than same old same old.

Not in my mind. I don't want a mayor with a "willingness to learn". I want a strong mayor with experience who can guide the other council members to make the decisions that need to be made. The time for "willingness to learn" happens as a council member, before you run for mayor. I haven't seen anything from him in this last term to show he has the experience or leadership to guide our city and council.

What if the election results in a council full of inexperienced and new members? Does he have the knowledge to guide them and teach them about municipal affairs or will he be looking for someone to guide him because, oh ya, he has a willingness to learn?

Making decisions about the future of our city is serious business. So far, I don't see that strength in Mr. Basran.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

There better be some good experience there to back up any mayor.
Colin Basran is very limited.
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

From his website: http://colinbasranforkelowna.com/my-vision/

"Connection. It is something that is very important to me. If I could point to the most important attribute of my personality, even before I entered my political life, it would have to be my role as a “connector.”....That’s why I prefer to be known as a local connector and not a politician."

This cutesy advertising spiel worries me. He wants to be known as a "connector", not a politician? This may be perfect for a salesman or someone in advertising, but as the foundation for someone who wants to run our city? Okay, he's great at making friends, networking, and hooking people up. So are a zillion other people. What we need is leadership. We need credible, educated, progressive, knowledgeable, experienced leadership, with a career background that backs it. Being a mayor isn't just about hanging out at social events with your buddies and talking about how great things are. Nor is it showing up at the Gospel Mission or charity events for photo ops. It is about so much more, and yes, it is serious business.
canucksfan17

Post by canucksfan17 »

"If you build it, they will come" = logical thought process.
"Development stimulates the economy" = logical thought process.
"The youth of today is the future of tomorrow" = logical thought process.

"If we talk about it for a year or two and finally decide to scrap everything we have worked on (CD21) then perhaps it will make some people happy because their lake views won't be slightly impeded by a few skyscrapers. The economy will fix itself, no sense in developing further to create more jobs and stimulate the economy. Instead, we should focus on minority groups who really deserve to have a parade for a whole week. Lets also focus our time and efforts on saving some of the trees and maybe we could paint city hall a different colour to make people feel better about themselves. We should have tea tonight to talk more oh and tomorrow in our council meeting instead of actually trying to fix the issues our city has with being one of the worst cities in all of Canada for crime and the issue of helping the homeless, we should discuss for a whole week which art sculpture should be placed on Bernard because that is an issue of vital importance. Well downtown Kelowna is not safe at night, good thing I don't live there. Young people cannot afford to live here, oh well, they can take all their talents and abilities of which could really benefit our city, and take them to Vancouver or elsewhere. Traffic is getting worse, well I do not want to fix the problem because I do not know how to, but perhaps we could have tea and talk about how we feel frustrated emotionally having to wait in traffic. Are there any other minority groups that we should focus all our time, money, and effort on so that they can feel special? Oh could I get some more sugar in my coffee? Could I talk for another several hours about nothing particularly important? Oh where are some more ribbons I can cut?"
= though process of a certain Sharon Shepherd

And that is why I am voting for Colin, he is a smart businessman who knows what our city needs and he is willing to make changes in order to sustainably grow our city and strengthen our economy.
As I said before, I will never repeat myself again.
Change is good, but dollars are better.
Polish people and the Calgary Flames, two different things, but so similar.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

You know you live in a small town when.....this is even a topic
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Static wrote:You know you live in a small town when.....this is even a topic

What, you don't think people in large cities don't discuss who is running for Mayor in their town?

Maybe if more people did discuss it and actually got out and voted we might get some better results.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

canucksfan17 wrote:
And that is why I am voting for Colin, he is a smart businessman who knows what our city needs and he is willing to make changes in order to sustainably grow our city and strengthen our economy.

If Colin Basran is a businessman--never mind a smart one--I'm Princess Grace.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Static wrote:You know you live in a small town when.....this is even a topic

Like Toronto?????
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

habh wrote:
Ok, so persuade me who is a better candidate and why they are a better candidate.

It's not my job to persuade you of anything. It's your job to seek the facts and make up your own mind. I am not asking you to vote for anyone. It is my contention that when you hold the resume of Shepherd beside that of Barsan, his half pager just doesn't measure up. But I get the spin doctor routine Basran has to use. When you have no substance other than being a nice guy, you can't have people question it. Sooner or later, and well before election day, Basran will have to think and speak for himself and it will clearly show how woefully unprepared and incapable he is for the position he seeks. Heck, I am more qualified, but not so arrogant to think it's so easy I can just do it. Basran sold out. Otherwise he wouldn't have a 40ft big head of himself on Bernard.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

canucksfan17 wrote:

The amount of misinformation being spewed once again is ridiculous. He is a smart businessman? Why, because he knows how to use other people's money for his own gain? What has he ever started, built, or created? Saying it doesn't make it true. No he is a poser, tailcoat riding wanna be.

It does't take long to follow Basran's history to see where his motivation is. Let's take a golf tournament for example. I commend him for raising money. However, he's been part of the community for how long, and yet it was not until his handlers bought him a seat on council did he decide to be a philanthropist and put his name to something. I say the motivation was purely self-serving. Oh ya, he reports $50K raised for the KGH foundation. . . so how come according to their (KGH foundation) public records, it was reported as $7500. I guess it's smart to lie about one's accomplishments going into an election to make one appear greater than they are. FYI, the Shepherds have been raising money for KGH for years, but you would never see their name on a public marquee for that purpose. It's not about the name in lights, it's about the money and needs. Basran has demonstrated he has that backwards. I guess that makes him smart at something.

TTHR
Last edited by ferri on Oct 16th, 2014, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

It's really rather sad to watch this, because rather than boasting about their candidate's qualifications and achievements, the Basranites are forced to spin tales about his opponent. They figure if they tell a lie often enough, it becomes true.

My guess is in a couple of months, we'll be back to saying, "Colin WHO?"
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

While these questions should be presented and answered by all municipal council candidates, I am placing them in the Basran mayoralty forum because his campaign website contains the least information on his views and policy ideas.

How will you encourage community participation around the discussions on major developments, parks, and transit when you lead the “charge” at Council that dismissed the citywide charrette recommendations and the recommendations of administration on the development of Cedar Avenue (lakeshore) Park? The dismissal of those recommendations essentially derailed future Community and Neighbourhood Association input in favour of vocal input from developers and the “Old Boy’s Club.” Community input is important and should be valued. How will you encourage and value it?

How can the value of community amenities be increased when developers seek to build projects that exceed OCP bylaws? Currently it is regular practice for developers to request and be granted development densities and heights that exceed the OCP bylaws. Furthermore they regularly seek reduced setbacks and reduction in parking and green space requirements. What will your policies be that will insure that for increases in density and height the City receives substantial, tangible amenities that improve the surrounding adjacent neighbourhoods and are not simply “cash in lieu” deals?

How will your policies increase a mix of low income/lower cost housing in each major new development?

How will your policies assist in the further development of our non–central urban centres like Pandosy Village and Rutland?

How will your policies encourage and support the development of new clean technological and agricultural industries in Kelowna?

Mr Basran’s campaign seems to be based on the networking and partnerships, making decisions in a timely manner and involving all members of the community, and spending tax dollars in a way that meets the reasonable needs of the community. His campaign literature gives only glossy superficial reference to these. I would further argue that his actions on Council over the past three years show that he has neither the vision, maturity, nor the networking skills to be an effective mayor.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”