Kelowna School Trustee Candidates

Temporary forum for civic elections

Which 4 candidates will you choose as Kelowna School Trustees?

Poll ended at Nov 14th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Aaltonen, Scott
4%
Aubin, Nicholas
13%
Brinkerhoff, Joyce
10%
Cacchioni, Rolli
16%
Drohomereski, Sharlene
1%
Gorman, Chris
8%
Mossman, Lee
14%
Pagliocchini, Peter
20%
Pendharkar, Murli
9%
Tiede, Lee-Ann
6%

Total votes: 109

KGT
Lord of the Board

Kelowna School Trustee Candidates

Post by KGT »

Here is a link to the candidate info and websites.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page3557.aspx

Which 4 candidates will you choose?

I've set it up so that you can change your mind later on if you learn new info about your original choice(s).
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna School Trustee Candidates

Post by pbear »

I have made my initial choices. I'm afraid in past years I have paid too little attention to these candidates. Over the course of my last teaching years I have discovered how important having the right voices for trustees can be to a healthy school district. When I am looking now, I want to see people with strong money management skills, school experience whether as a former employee or as a parent, and people willing to get into the schools and visit staff rooms and classes.

Their advocacy and leading is crucial now as our education system is changing on almost all levels in response to the increasing needs of students and parents.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

looking at the city web site and candidates for trustees, how can they offer their candidacy and NOT have a "campaign statement" or website up and running today and want to be seriously considered the become a trustee?

One candidate has on their campaign statement a website but it doesn't work, instead it goes to a godaddy web page.

a current trustee hasn't even bothered to have a campaign statement, at least it isn't posted on the city web site!

how serious are these people who cant be bothered to have even a campaign statement prepared and a web page ready telling us why they should be considered to be a trustee?

end rant! ;)
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

Only the submission of Nomination papers and necessary financial information is mandatory. Campaign Statements, web links, as well as pictures and the like can be submitted by candidates a little later on. Also, sometimes it takes a little bit for items to be posted on the website.

I don't have any issue with candidates posting statements and pictures a little later - I actually prefer this so I can look and read them all around the same time.

I would rather have more of an assortment of people from all walks of life instead of the same group year after year...mix it up a little and not necessarily those only with a business background...If you look on the BCSTA (BC School Trustees Association - www.bcsta.org) website, they actually promote 'variety' on Boards of Education.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Quite a few people have now updated their info on the City website. Check it out if you haven't already.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

it is amusing that out of all the candidates running for trustee,

1. two of the three candidates do not have a website up and running,

2. two of those three are current trustees

3. one current trustee didn't bother to even have a campaign statement prepared and posted on the city web site

4. are the two current trustees so confident they will get re-elected they cant be bothered with either a campaign statement or have a web site up and running?

5. do the voters even care? (probably not) ;)
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Nick Aubin is the only one I'd trust to make a prudent decision.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
allforeducation

Post by allforeducation »

Education is important so hopefully people attend a school board meeting to see what to look for in a candidate or what's missing. Board meetings are pretty dry but that is where all the decisions are made - big or small.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

allforeducation wrote:Education is important so hopefully people attend a school board meeting to see what to look for in a candidate or what's missing. Board meetings are pretty dry but that is where all the decisions are made - big or small.

I agree. And watch the body language and tone of voice. IMO this board is dysfunctional and some trustees are sadly uninformed. I've been to a few meetings lately. Unbelieveable.
dgb

Post by dgb »

I've attended a few SD23 board meetings as well. My impression was that most (not all) of the trustees were ill-prepared to vote on or even discuss issues brought to the board by the public. One trustee who will not be getting my vote felt it was more important to attend to their phone than participate in the meetings. Disappointing, indeed.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

There will be a School Trustee All Candidates Meeting at KSS on Thursday, Oct 30 6:30pm. (Doors open at 6pm)

Please attend and ask your questions.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I was hoping Reg Volk would run again.

Can anyone shed any light on why he didn't throw his hat in the ring?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Rwede wrote:I was hoping Reg Volk would run again.

Can anyone shed any light on why he didn't throw his hat in the ring?

I would have voted for him too. He said he's too busy with grand kids now. He did recommend voting for Lee Mossman and Peter Pagliocchini though
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I wouldn't have voted for Reg.

But I sure would have enjoyed his Casta-antics! :D
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

Reg most definitely would have been an interesting candidate :)

I attended the All Candidates Forum in Rutland and it was well attended. I managed to speak with every trustee candidate and I have to say that those whom I had chosen initially have officially become 'null and void'...I'm looking towards those that attended the forum and answered my questions honestly and weren't 'ruffling feathers' by making rude or 'snooty' comments to the public :)

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”