Lake Country municipal election

Temporary forum for civic elections
Involved

Re: Lake Country municipal election

Post by Involved »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Oct 20th, 2014, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

Has anybody heard if there is to be an All Candidates Forum in Lake Country?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

hallgirl wrote:Has anybody heard if there is to be an All Candidates Forum in Lake Country?

They normally do.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Rose wasn't exactly the picture of fiscal restraint or efficiency when he was administrator so I can't imagine that he has learned anything in retirement. He was good at ensuring that he controlled everything to the point that nothing happened for those years, though.
You and 71 others Like this post
taxpayer

Post by taxpayer »

As only one of six councillors Rose would have no control, but he would have the knowledge and insight to raise questions and engage intelligently in discussion. Not something you have seen from most councillors lately?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

taxpayer wrote:As only one of six councillors Rose would have no control, but he would have the knowledge and insight to raise questions and engage intelligently in discussion. Not something you have seen from most councillors lately?

Oh please! He was a small fish in a big pond.
Landm is exactly on point ...
Rose is out for blood. He does not like that his little empire has shattered to the ground (finally!) and wants revenge. He is out to get rid of the current CAO and probably was upset that the old CFO did not slip into the corner office when he "retired".
Intelligence... well look at the man's CV... he is not highly educated and has a limited work history. So where does this so called intelligence come from.
He would be a major disruption to everything that the staff or Mayor and council brings to the table. The big spoon continually spinning things around and around and with that nothing is done, frustrations grows and all grinds to a halt while the in fighting grows and grows creating an entirely dysfunctional group in the end.
He is probably all miffed because his views of subdivision development, customer service models and many other administrative boondoggles including an extremely top heavy management tier of "buddies" (all of which cost the taxpayer plenty over the years!) has finally been addressed and undressed with a slow and methodical overhaul by professional, educated individuals with sound track records.
Did a study have to be done at a large expense to unravel the web of Rose and crew? Absolutely and it was a sound investment for the 'go forward' endeavours of the District.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

ELECTION 2014: Lake Country Chamber to host all-candidates forum Nov. 3
0 by Editorial - Lake Country Calendar

posted Oct 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Lake Country mayoral and council candidates, and the residents of Lake Country, are invited to attend an All- Candidates Forum on Nov. 3 2014.

The Lake Country Chamber of Commerce is hosting the All-Candidates Forum on Monday, Nov. 3 at the Creekside Theatre at George Elliott School.

The two mayoral candidates and the 12 council candidates will be in attendance to answer questions from a moderator and the public.

Due to the large number of candidates who will be speaking, there will no open microphone; the public is asked to pre-submit their questions. Selected questions will be chosen by the moderator and a review panel.

Questions can be submitted to the review panel at [email protected] or faxed to 250-766-0170. Questions can also be dropped off to the Chamber Office at 106-3121 Hill Rd.

The deadline for submitted questions is 4 p.m. on Oct. 30.

The Nov. 3, 2014 forum will begin at 7 p.m. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m).

It will run in two parts, starting with questions for the mayoral candidates, followed by questions for the council candidates.

Meanwhile...

The Oyama Community Club is hosting a candidates' forum in the ward of Oyama.

The group, formed in 1914, has invited mayoralty candidates James Baker and Jayson McCarthy as well as the two Oyama candidates and the people running for a councillor-at-large position.

In Oyama Owen Dickie is the incumbent while newcomer Keli Westgate is challenging for the spot.

At large candidates include incumbent Penny Gambell as well as Arlene Brenner, Richard Issler, Don Rae and Bill Scarrow.

The format:

• Each candidate will be given two minutes for an opening statement or comment.

• After that, the candidates will be asked the same question and given three minutes to answer the question of what their vision is for Oyama and Lake Country.

• After all the candidates have answered, each candidate will be given one minute to expand on a subject or address a point brought up by another candidate. The moderator will survey the candidates and assign order of response.

• The audience will also be able to ask direct questions of the candidates.

The 2014 Candidates Forum on Thursday October 23rd, 2014 at 7p.m. Doors open at 6:15 p.m.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

omisimaw wrote:He would be a major disruption to everything that the staff or Mayor and council brings to the table.

I think it's time someone disrupted DLC Staff, Mayor, and Council from using taxpayers' money to sue said taxpayers over model airplanes in the Supreme Court, and other moronic decisions being made by the current flock of incompetent dopes.

Not that I would endorse Rose, but it's past due for SOMEONE to question the insanity at DLC.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:He would be a major disruption to everything that the staff or Mayor and council brings to the table.

Rwede wrote:I think it's time someone disrupted DLC Staff, Mayor, and Council from using taxpayers' money to sue said taxpayers over model airplanes in the Supreme Court, and other moronic decisions being made by the current flock of incompetent dopes.

Not that I would endorse Rose, but it's past due for SOMEONE to question the insanity at DLC.

Rose had an ongoing retainer with municipal lawyers and used their services on a regular basis.... he is hardly the one to now be complaining.

Unfortunately his disruption would not be a good thing as he is painting himself as the ex-incumbent scorned! He has an agenda alright, but unfortunately it is not for the betterment of the District but way more personal.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ That's your opinion, to which you are entitled as a former district employee, but I don't think you can defend any of the frivolous spending by DLC under any administration whether either Rose or Alberto were involved.

Suing one's own citizens in the Supreme Court with their own money is utterly shameful.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Former employee? Where do you dig this type of thing from?
But whenever the local government, any local government, takes issue to the point of a legal encounter with a citizen it is doing so with the moneys it garners from taxes and other funding.
So, it is impossible not sue citizens, if they are breaking the law.
You would have a far different view if you were on the side of citizens that were affected by whatever it is that has gone the long road of investigation, negotiation, reports, letters, warnings, inspections etc etc
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Flying a model airplane is not against the law.

Breaking an oath to be responsible with citizens' money should be, if it isn't already.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Flying a model airplane may or may not be against a bylaw as the local government can impose land use restrictions.
In this instance about the planes, they were run off from Kelowna, found a new home in Lake Country and it was well publicized so one would assume that the District accepted them under terms and conditions.
If those have been broken and are within the districts right to enforce by way of litigation then they are simply doing the job.
This is not what one can claim to be a quiet sport and I am sure that land owners surrounding the area of use would or could be impacted and they have a right to have the district speak up for them over a person who drives into the area to fly a plane.
This is not a matter of a kid in a park with a simple one of toy R/C
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Go ahead and vote for Baker then. But just don't cry when he spends another $$$$$$$$$$$ being vindictive against a group whom he and council tried unsuccessfully to vilify in order to distract the weak-minded from real issues at hand, such as the state of roads and other infrastructure in DLC.

The money spent carrying out personal agendas and trying to prop up massive egos in DLC could do a lot of good if it were directed to infrastructure projects instead.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It is near on impossible for any elected official in any local government to carry on their own personal agendas. Does not really work that way and the ex Mayor of Vernon found that out the hard way.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”