Lake Country municipal election

Temporary forum for civic elections
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Lake Country municipal election

Post by xjeepguy »

Steve CTO wrote:James Baker has to be removed. Lets start before it's to late...

On the last election 70% of voters sat on their *bleep* and didnt even vote . THAT needs to be changed first . A dozen people whining on Castanet won't change a thing .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Voter apathy and the fact that the pseudo ward system is a huge issue in LC.
Prior to incorporation everyone lived in their own little area, doing their own little thing.
Once incorporated residents have continued to still want to be their own little self, doing their own little thing and are continually complaining, arguing and in-fighting like selfish, self-centered, arrogant children.
A huge issue is that it is a pseudo ward system which leave is open to this perception plus the fact that to break from the regional district back in the day the communities were sold the tale that it could work, individual but really one big family.
Well it has not worked and hence angst by many that this one is doing this and that one does not have any time for anything other than their own community, etc etc etc
The toughest elected position in LC is that of councilor at large!
In this election the chance that there could be a Jayson/Randy return to old school is possibly not what is best. Jayson with his let down on the Wood Lake marina development and Randy with his displeasure with the selection of his replacement as CAO.
To rid the district of all the ghosts in the hallways and to break from the squabbling community spirit fresh breath and a new spirit needs to take place.
People tend to say to heck with it when the same old, same old takes place, or when the only new choice is an old, angry choice with personal agendas tagged on.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
jswiftkelowna

Post by jswiftkelowna »

The last thing Lake Country needs is another realtor with "business" experience and a personal agenda. The real estate industry is about as easy to get licenced in as it is to get an L licence from ICBC. Study, submit multiple choice test, and become a "driving expert".

As far as your former administrator goes, everything that he has critiqued the current guard for he is doubly guilty for. Why would anyone want to elect someone who is so bitter, angry, and seems to have no actual vision for the community? Running because you are mad at someone is the worst reason to run, and you'd think he would know this with his experience. Then again, he ran the community's reputation into the ground under the town's old guard. It's time to move on.

Focus on some positive people who can make change over the next four years, not negative people who will likely accomplish nothing other than their well-published agendas.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Negative people take community volunteer groups to the Supreme Court.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
taxpayer

Post by taxpayer »

I don't see 'business experience' as a negative. Particularly when compared with the alternative. A new Museum and new Art Gallery as priorities? And these will drive economic development? I don't think so.
CherylJ1

Post by CherylJ1 »

It's common to call for change for change's sake, but frankly I'm quite impressed with Baker and this Council's track record. They've delivered on a number of promises ... Main Street is finally happening, Beasley and Swalwell are no longer gravel, Bottom Wood Lake Road has been rebuilt, etc. I'd rather have local leaders that deliver than non-resident politicians (McCarthy, Westgate, and Issler have all declared that they don't live in Lake Country) who are out for their own interests only.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

CherylJ1 wrote:It's common to call for change for change's sake, but frankly I'm quite impressed with Baker and this Council's track record. They've delivered on a number of promises ... Main Street is finally happening, Beasley and Swalwell are no longer gravel, Bottom Wood Lake Road has been rebuilt, etc. I'd rather have local leaders that deliver than non-resident politicians (McCarthy, Westgate, and Issler have all declared that they don't live in Lake Country) who are out for their own interests only.

and add to the list a former staffer who could not accomplish Main St. and the other resolved issues on your list....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

CherylJ1 wrote:It's common to call for change for change's sake, but frankly I'm quite impressed with Baker and this Council's track record. They've delivered on a number of promises ... Main Street is finally happening, Beasley and Swalwell are no longer gravel, Bottom Wood Lake Road has been rebuilt, etc. I'd rather have local leaders that deliver than non-resident politicians (McCarthy, Westgate, and Issler have all declared that they don't live in Lake Country) who are out for their own interests only.

If you ever spoke with people that consider investing in Lake Country and providing much needed jobs, you'd have the opposite opinion. DLC has a reputation as the WORST to deal with.

Some politicians have a best before date stamped on their butts. Flip a few of the olde guarde over at DLC and you'll throw them out with last year's milk. The district really needs some new perspective and priorities.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
taxpayer

Post by taxpayer »

Remember the debate between Baker and Randy Rose over the restructuring at the District? Baker claimed the 'streamlining' would save taxpayers $230,000, Rose said it would cost taxpayers $1million? I find it interesting that 8 new jobs have been posted on the DLC website since then. So two managers gone in the restructuring. I would think a conservative estimate of total severance would be $240,000, plus the cost of 8 new employees. Perhaps Baker should be asked to explain the math?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Rose is miffed that his little empire is no longer. He thought, why I have no idea, that he had created a legacy when in actual fact the District has only started to take on a growth surge since his departure.
Ask developers of Crystal Waters, or the condo developments down on the Wood Lake, or the investors, or the developer of the Coopers mall how impossible it was to deal with the District when they were bringing growth to the area.
Industrial and commercial tax base was near nil back in the day of Rose with an almost zero growth rate. Now when you drive through or visit you notice that every day there is more and more coming to the area.
Why anyone would want to have their tax dollar going to a former employee with an axe to grind, who has a desire to somehow be in control is beyond comprehension.
Wonder why he did not think he would be better off running for Mayor, as I am sure that is the throne he would truly like to sit upon.
fsbo

Post by fsbo »

taxpayer wrote:Remember the debate between Baker and Randy Rose over the restructuring at the District? Baker claimed the 'streamlining' would save taxpayers $230,000, Rose said it would cost taxpayers $1million? I find it interesting that 8 new jobs have been posted on the DLC website since then. So two managers gone in the restructuring. I would think a conservative estimate of total severance would be $240,000, plus the cost of 8 new employees. Perhaps Baker should be asked to explain the math?

I think that number is low, if I recall in all 3 parts of the restructuring they got rid of the listed people below and more, based on their wages at the time and if they gave them 18mo severance these would be the numbers. (approximate)

Steve Schaffrick 175K
Dana Smitt 150K - Replace this position so no savings
Hazel Cristie 200K -Replace this position so no savings
Mike Riley 150K -Replace this position so no savings
Steven Banman 220K Replace this position so no savings (forced out)

I don't know for sure how much they got but I heard Banman was over 200K so this adds up to almost 900K. This estimate does not include any cost to eliminate the non management positions. I was surprised to see all these new job postings too.

I have know idea how they can claim savings? If so where is the money?

I'm sure they would never give out copies of the full reports on the restructuring.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Savings is easy, if that is what you are looking for.
They cleaned out the old and obviously they did it for a reason. Most times it is because the old was no longer producing and in all actuality probably had not been doing the job the District was expecting for quite some time.
If the "cost" is being targeted over what 'had' to be contractually then it is a false impression being touted by the miffed old guard.
Rose, himself, is no foreigner when it comes to ridding himself of unwanted staff by calling it reorganization or restructuring.
Funny how he is behaving now that it is someone else using the same legal avenue to rid itself of unwanted or non producing staff of any level.
Every single person you have listed were hand picks of the old CAO. Once his reign was up the new lead can and obviously did make changes.
Given the experience, education and abilities of the two CAO's (old vs new) anyone can see there is a mega spread indeed.
The new CAO in my opinion is exactly what the District needs and is doing an excellent job.
So did it cost to make changes? Absolutely but why not ask Rose how much it cost the District for his changes over the years... he is by no means a stranger to HR litigation and loss.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

During the economic downturn in 2008, this council kept a full contingent of staff in the engineering and development services departments.

Who on God's green earth would do such a stupid thing? Carrying all those people who had absolutely nothing to do for 5 - 6 years was expensive and ridiculous.

Then, cutbacks were made AFTER the economy started to pick up, and the single building inspector system has now strangled builders and developers looking for inspections on new projects.

IF the recent cutbacks were window dressing for the 2014 election, which I suspect they were, it shows the level of disingenuous rot and utter incompetence in the halls of DLC.

ETA - the new CAO is, in my opinion, a buffoon. Watching him on Shaw one night touting the use of a paper bag to hold food scraps, for which he traveled to Europe on the taxpayers' dime to bring home as a meeting prop, showed me that he's fooling no one but himself and a former district employee.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

You keep speaking of a former employee.... who are you speaking of? Who is this person you keep posting about? Is it yourself perhaps?
As far as 2008 goes well that was the old guard in place now wasn't it and the single building inspector model, again another of the struggles within that department that Rose would not address.
Engineering and development departments LOL.... the old CAO was a technician in these areas .... that is his educational background and work experience as stated by himself.
You do not have to like the new CAO, and quite frankly those who honor the old guard will not like anyone that comes in after they are gone. That is normal and understandable. It is not right, but it is the nature of the mentality of far to many of the old school in the district.
Taxpayers have long deserved better than what they had and this taxpayer is happy to see fresh blood, new ideas, and educated and experienced people being recruited.
Now if this can be matched by some new blood and a change in the old guard within the council that will only make things better. Unfortunately for the Mayor's position obviously their is not much choice, same old or the old guard. Obviously there is just not enough discontent within the community to bring forth change to that chair. Both have history and both have their followers but when push comes to shove I would vote Baker over the former councilor ...

ETA the word buffoon could easily be said of Rose... "a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown"
Last edited by omisimaw on Oct 27th, 2014, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fsbo

Post by fsbo »

A sound business decision would be to put clear goals and objectives in place to measure ones performance, should these people fail to meet the goals then we would have reasons to replace them. Only a complete incompetent council would let a complete outsider come into our community and sweep out senior management costing me and the other taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Why did he defoe get chased out of Williams Lake? Anyone know?

I agree with Rwede the economy crashed in 2008 and no action was taken until 2012 and finished in 2014. Now I know where all the money went.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”