Kelowna Councillors

Temporary forum for civic elections
Jonrox

Re: Kelowna Councillors

Post by Jonrox »

I have to say that I think it's a real shame TaxPayers First made the ridiculous guarantee about no tax increases. I looked through their website and believe many of them would have had what it takes to be good city councillors. I just can't get past this issue though. It's a far too dangerous policy to ignore.

Many of them have excellent experience and education, so I'm surprised they felt they had to play games like this in order to be elected. If they would drop this guarantee and take a more moderate approach to property taxes, I'd consider supporting them (although I still hate the idea of referendums).
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Jonrox wrote:Here's another quote from Taxpayers First:

Recent studies show that the average Canadian spends more on taxes than on food, shelter and clothing combined. This means that for all of us there is less money for our childrens' education, retirement savings, paying down debt, and spending back into our local economy.

Do they realize that our taxes pay for education? And their proposal could lead to a reduction in education spending?

Where do they think taxes are spent? Obviously not the local economy, because they blame taxes as keeping money out of the local economy. I guess they think Kelowna council takes our tax money and spends it in other cities.

They also make mention of 300 city employees that make over $75,000 and have pensions. They want to review these salaries and benefits, and make adjustments where appropriate. How do they propose to break these employment contracts without facing huge legal battles and initiating a huge turnover of experienced employees?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying here isn't room to improve spending. But their platform is extremely dangerous, naive, and unrealistic.

They will follow the federal agenda. When the contracts come up for renewal they will demand rollbacks or lock them out. No more defined benefit pensions, lower starting wages, less sick time...etc. Attack the employees for their own benefit. That's the name of the game these days.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

Jonrox wrote:I have to say that I think it's a real shame TaxPayers First made the ridiculous guarantee about no tax increases. I looked through their website and believe many of them would have had what it takes to be good city councillors. I just can't get past this issue though. It's a far too dangerous policy to ignore.

Many of them have excellent experience and education, so I'm surprised they felt they had to play games like this in order to be elected. If they would drop this guarantee and take a more moderate approach to property taxes, I'd consider supporting them (although I still hate the idea of referendums).

Seeing there is no way they could enact a "no tax increase" system unless they had a majority on council, I think it's just a ploy to elect one or two of them. Then they can use the excuse of not being able to push it past others on council.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

I received the following written response to my questions (posted on page one of this forum) from Carol Gran.

Thanks for your interest in the election, if only there were more people like you.
As a candidate running on the TaxpayersFirst team I are extremely concerned
about how development happens. Whether it’s parks or housing projects the
community should be engaged, from individuals to neighborhood associations.
You will see on our website a promise to give residents a greater say in what
happens, thru referendum and public time on each and every regular Council
agenda. We are especially supportive of P3 land developments that offer generous
financial gains for taxpayers that can then be used to pay for amenities that would
otherwise mean tax increases. Fairness for the taxpayer is at the top of our
list and will guide everything we do. Watch for major TaxpayerFirst announcements
in the coming weeks.

I also received a phone call from Graeme James, also from the Taxpayers First team. His comments paralleled those above, however he did pull back sharply from the 0% tax increase platform. Instead he said he was determined to cut waste and expenses at City Hall and keep taxes increases to a bare minimum that closely reflected true cost increases.

It will be interesting to see the specific proposals Taxpayers First have to reduce costs at City Hall and keep tax increases close to zero over the next four years.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

GrooveTunes wrote:They will follow the federal agenda. When the contracts come up for renewal they will demand rollbacks or lock them out. No more defined benefit pensions, lower starting wages, less sick time...etc. Attack the employees for their own benefit. That's the name of the game these days.

Controlling spending of public funds benefits all taxpayers, not just political wannabes.

With the 38% rise in municipal wages in recent years, perhaps it's high time someone asked for a wage freeze or rollback.

The taxpayers have long since hit the breaking point on excessive municipal taxation with no accountability by highly-paid civil servants.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Wondering if this is true what someone told me.....
Kelowna City hall 200+ managers 95 employees?
Anyone can shed a light on this? Or where do I find the info?
Not stirring up the pot. Just want to know whats in it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I think that the whole lot of them is a very shallow talent pool. I see no one being the cream of the crop from that list.

Too bad the municipal terms are now extended to 4 years. That's 33% more damage an idiot can cause before he/she is punted by the mistreated taxpayers.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Rwede wrote:I think that the whole lot of them is a very shallow talent pool. I see no one being the cream of the crop from that list.

Too bad the municipal terms are now extended to 4 years. That's 33% more damage an idiot can cause before he/she is punted by the mistreated taxpayers.

Wow, I sure hope you're running for council so we can see how it's done. Instead of lobbing grenades and spewing insults, please share with us your intelligent suggestions or share your name and platform so we know who to vote for.

Words like idiot, shallow, when written from a poster more often reflect the poster than the subject.

TTHR
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'm voting for Dayleen.....She's got "nards"...

Kelowna needs nards.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

She also has hair. Kelowna needs hair.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

erinmore3775 wrote:I received the following written response to my questions (posted on page one of this forum) from Carol Gran.

Thanks for your interest in the election, if only there were more people like you.
As a candidate running on the TaxpayersFirst team I are extremely concerned
about how development happens. Whether it’s parks or housing projects the
community should be engaged, from individuals to neighborhood associations.
You will see on our website a promise to give residents a greater say in what
happens, thru referendum and public time on each and every regular Council
agenda. We are especially supportive of P3 land developments that offer generous
financial gains for taxpayers that can then be used to pay for amenities that would
otherwise mean tax increases. Fairness for the taxpayer is at the top of our
list and will guide everything we do. Watch for major TaxpayerFirst announcements
in the coming weeks.

I also received a phone call from Graeme James, also from the Taxpayers First team. His comments paralleled those above, however he did pull back sharply from the 0% tax increase platform. Instead he said he was determined to cut waste and expenses at City Hall and keep taxes increases to a bare minimum that closely reflected true cost increases.

It will be interesting to see the specific proposals Taxpayers First have to reduce costs at City Hall and keep tax increases close to zero over the next four years.

I like the idea of trimming fat but also think a zero percent tax increase is a silly and ill-thought proposal designed to garner votes from the uninformed masses.

I like the idea of getting the community more involved in the decision making process about how development proceeds. Who better to guide development than the people who live next to it. My experience with City council is one of sincere desire to engage the community - hence the slogan on the top of all of their development signs 'It's Your Community'.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Have received a few calls and notes from councillor candidates about a questionaire sent out by ForKelowna.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_7a2c4f26-5b11-11e4-a367-0017a43b2370.html
Deep-pocketed business owners back Basran...

The covering letter indicates that they support the current incumbents and are proud of the changes they have been able to effect at City Hall

This election has just become very interesting.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

erinmore3775 wrote:Have received a few calls and notes from councillor candidates about a questionaire sent out by ForKelowna.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_7a2c4f26-5b11-11e4-a367-0017a43b2370.html
Deep-pocketed business owners back Basran...

The covering letter indicates that they support the current incumbents and are proud of the changes they have been able to effect at City Hall

This election has just become very interesting.

With much respect, I don't think "interesting" is the right word. Kardashian is better. It's a reality gong show where the rich and fabulous of Kelowna are purchasing their very own golden boy to market their elixir and snake oils to the unsuspecting. Surely the citizens of Kelowna will not be party to this sham again. Deep pocketed business owners got that way in our neighborhoods and with us as customers. Stop buying from them and tell them why . . . city hall is not yours to buy.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

The list of Councillors is ridiculous to say the least. It appears every Tom, Dick, and Tracy is running. Must be a job with EASY money involved.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Doesn't pay much.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”