Basran as mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by LANDM »

The problem is that you equate a lack of posting something on Facebook with a lack of respect. That is silly and the logic doesn't follow.
Using this as your little way of making political hay for your candidate is the part that I find shocking and disheartening.
You and 71 others Like this post
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by Mtn Biker »

jamapple wrote:I agree with you, Mntn Biker. he HAS been campaigning for a long time, and yes on our dime!. He started right after being the first to put his name in the hat. That's just the truth, so why get pissy about it.

It must be nice to have so many friends. Recently I looked over the shoulder of a friend on a computer who was perusing Basran's FB page. Are the residents of Kelowna blind or clueless to what is going on? I have to think so.

I know a fair bit about advertising and its cost. I know what a tee shirt costs and how much to put full color on its front and back. Then I can do the math for the signs, banners, tees, website, prime real estate in downtown Kelowna, and so on, it's going to run into the 1000's. Maybe 6 figures. Compare that to others. Who's paying?

In media I see mostly pictures of him making the rounds and shaking hands. See him in a picture with someone, without any knowledge or context, most everyone ASSUMES those other's in the picture are going to vote for Basran, or why be in the picture? Is called transference. How does a one term councillor who's work effort seems so void of results, have the time to knock on doors all over town? It appears to the observant that he is making pledges to do better than he did in school, or journalism, or school again or real estate, and even a first term councillor. So cheerfully taking credit for anything council did over the last term as if he was large and in charge. I guess if one finds enough friends to bank roll an adventure like this, it would seem like a dream come true to me too. Where can I sign up?

By making promises. By entertaining developers and business people with a hand out saying come see me on my throne and thy wish is my command, is dangerous for the rest of us. Soon shadows will blanket the skating surface in Stuart Park on a sunny January day. Shade won't be a problem in the summer, it's the winter at noon, and the ice is in a shadow, instead of shining on the 500 faces circling the park, having lunch on a table, or walking the water front. Give me a break. Weather in Kelowna has as many grand fair days in January, February when the sun shines and temperature rises, that covering up the sky so close to where all go is a travesty.

We have an undercurrent of money pledging to continue to control city hall. New buildings for select groups, while old public ones still deny all citizens easy access. To the 70K of eligible voters that didn't vote 3 years ago, please take a look out your window and not at pictures. Look at and seek the facts, read for yourself, make your mind up, and make an X. Exercise that right. It feels good. I have to believe that Kelowna is not for sale. That parks and lakeshore need to remain as is, in the spirit of those who came before us meant. Not to erect Freudian monoliths. Can't the guy by a Vette?

To me Basran's campaign is alike all the fast food commercials we must endlessly endure. The product has fall backs, much news has been made of it, but if you see it enough you are subconsciously duped into thinking it's a promise, buy it, when it's a facade and your gut hurts. Wake up people, Basran stands for the wolf of K-town (I really dislike that handle), flying large about 450 Bernard.

What has he said that is not in past tense. When did we see him take a lead on anything over the last 3 years? All I can see is he added his name to some charity causes, over stated their success, and submits that's what qualifies him for mayor. Young and fresh are not accomplishments. It's been premeditated if it's true at his celebration party in 2011, Mr Basran stood upon a chair claiming today council, tomorrow mayor. For me it seems bankrolled and compliance, not leadership or capability.

Hopefully the money doesn't win.

TTHR
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by nextimeround »

You don't have to ask "where is the money coming from" any longer. The for chicken sh#ts are at it again. Proof positive that wealth and special interest absolutely can buy an election. Our "representatives" are simply not "ours". It is not even slightly an even playing field when independent individuals at the municipal level have to try to compete with ridiculous piles of money and slick (sickening) advertising.

These arrogant *bleep* are even bragging that their "in pocket" candidates all got elected last time around, and of course that included Basran. I thought he was a decent guy but clearly he is happy to sell out integrity and transparency in favor of winning regardless of what that means or who he owes.

I don't care what title you give him in a fixed election. He doesn't represent me and if there's any justice in this world one day he'll end up exactly where he deserves, and that is not in city hall.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

While they might be throwing their support behind certain candidates, at least ForKelowna (or FourChange) puts an effort into questioning all candidates about their platform and publishing their responses so apples can be compared to apples.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Good point. Voters are welcome to make their own decision but having information about each candidate at your fingertips certainly helps.

ForKelowna is endorsing Colin Basran's bid for mayor.

While Basran is one of eight candidates running for mayor, the race is, in reality, a two person race between himself and former two-term mayor, Sharon Shepherd.

The electorate voted Shepherd and five of her councillors out of office three years ago in a sweeping change that saw all four councillors targeted by FourChange removed and three of the candidates it endorsed get in.

Only Carol Gran, who is running again as part of the five candidate slate, TaxpayersFirst, did not get elected with the FourChange endorsement.

"With 31 candidates running for councillor positions we believe we can once again play a valuable role by going through a process of due diligence to vet the long list of candidates and respectfully make suggestions for four new councillors.

We are already undertaking the work of surveying candidates and, when completed surveys are received, we will post them on our website to assist voters in their understanding of the candidates."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#125481
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Yes but that same info is available on many non-partisan sites. This group is biased. The questions they ask the candidates are biased. Essentially 6 middle aged white business men with money and some influence are using that money and influence an entire community as to who to elect.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

This group is biased.

All groups and individuals are biased including yourself and myself.

The questions they ask the candidates are biased.

In what way?

Essentially 6 middle aged white business men with money and some influence are using that money and influence an entire community as to who to elect.

They can endorse whoever they want (just like you can). And people have a choice to either listen to them or not.

Like I said, I just like to compare candidates answers to questionnaire. Their website doesn't even list whom they endorse.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

One way to look at Basran - or any candidate - is to think of them as applying for a senior management position in a reasonable large and complex organization.

Basran's CV doesn't show much breadth or depth of experience and achievement. If I were looking at him as a potential hire for my business, he'd be a possibility for a junior sales or marketing position; he'd not even be considered for a C-suite position, which is what he's applying for here.

The ForKelowna group are backing him purely because he isn't Shepherd and he'll do as he's told, not because they think he'll be a good mayor.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

EdCase wrote:One way to look at Basran - or any candidate - is to think of them as applying for a senior management position in a reasonable large and complex organization.

Basran's CV doesn't show much breadth or depth of experience and achievement. If I were looking at him as a potential hire for my business, he'd be a possibility for a junior sales or marketing position; he'd not even be considered for a C-suite position, which is what he's applying for here.

The ForKelowna group are backing him purely because he isn't Shepherd and he'll do as he's told, not because they think he'll be a good mayor.

Well said. Exactly what I'm thinking. He's naïve, inexperienced, uneducated and is the perfect puppet for them. He'll want to impress them so he'll do what they say and ask of him.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

if history is any gauge, basaran getting the backing of 4change..errr 4kelowna will be a forgone conclusion in his election. sheeple line up at the voting booth...
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

He already has their backing.
Do we want 4 more years of developers running city hall?
Basran.
Or a more balanced, sustainable approach?
Shepherd.
KelownaGuy20

Post by KelownaGuy20 »

Shepherd's last two terms as mayor were criticised for what little she got done. I was always willing to give her the benefit of the doubt given that she's only one vote on a council of 9.

But then comes word that she refuses to participate in debates and forums in this election unless ALL 8 candidates are invited? With a due respect, Ms. Shepherd, this is the mayoral race in the 7th largest city in the province, not a first graders soccer match where everyone gets a blue participation ribbon.

It's wonderful that she wants all inclusiveness, but maybe she should become a preschool teacher and not the mayor of the city.

If her submissive stand on forums in any indication of her potential third term as mayor, I'm more likely to write in a vote for Mayor McCheese than vote Sharon Shepherd on November 15th.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

KelownaGuy20 wrote:Shepherd's last two terms as mayor were criticised for what little she got done. I was always willing to give her the benefit of the doubt given that she's only one vote on a council of 9.

But then comes word that she refuses to participate in debates and forums in this election unless ALL 8 candidates are invited? With a due respect, Ms. Shepherd, this is the mayoral race in the 7th largest city in the province, not a first graders soccer match where everyone gets a blue participation ribbon.

It's wonderful that she wants all inclusiveness, but maybe she should become a preschool teacher and not the mayor of the city.

If her submissive stand on forums in any indication of her potential third term as mayor, I'm more likely to write in a vote for Mayor McCheese than vote Sharon Shepherd on November 15th.

First start with looking up the definition of these two words: democracy and submissive because you clearly don't know what they mean. Second, standing on principle is what I expect from a leader, not a sell out to the highest bidder because one lacks merit or capabilities but is for sale. Your comments are hallmarked with the same indignation as most of the Basran followers. The Basran platform is "look at me, all the rich people like me because I will do what ever they want" verse, "we live in an inclusive society and our democratic processes should resemble this". Nothing more. If you vote for Basran, you are voting for McCheese, so fly at it. At least Shepherd could qualify to teach preschool, Basran could not.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

I welcome Sharon Shepherd position not taking up the ForKelowna manipulation of having a forum with C Basran and herself only.
I 100% agree with "either all that are running for mayor or none" And not just the frontrunners. Again the ForKelowna people, a number of very well of business people, are trying to "buy" the election.
And on that note, urban planners should have a good look at how Copenhagen is developing their city. Great informative program on the Knowledge Network. How Kelowna is growing with the attitude from developers is totally opposite what Copenhagen is doing. Suggests to all folks to watch the program if its on as it is very interesting and local urban planners can learn a great deal from Copenhagen.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The Basranites sort of remind me of the Palinites. They mistake a toothy smile for brains and a word salad on a website for abilities.

Although I think even Sarah managed to snag some minor piece of paper after bumming around colleges for all those years.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”