Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Temporary forum for civic elections
mystica
Board Meister

Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by mystica »

NO REASON AT ALL!

I was furious when I saw the huge Doug Findlater election sign near Paynters market yesterday. A smug smile with 'Our Mayor' under the name Doug Findlater. Surely, during the election he is nothing but a candidate for re-election. To have 'Our Mayor' on the sign is misleading and auto suggestive. I believe that the elections people should have a look at the sign.

I don't think that we should re elect him. Just a few words to use in the same sentence as the name Doug Findlater...Smug, dismissive, bully, petulant, self important, mildly delusional.....just to mention a few. "Ex- Mayor" is my top choice!!

He also wan'ts his own way and has commented on suggestions made by others (that he disagrees with) 'Over my dead body'

He is supposed to be the deciding vote in case of a tie...not the decider of any vote the council makes!!

Good-bye Ex Mayor Findlater.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by Randall T »

A lot of people don't like their bosses, but it really has nothing to do with how the company performs and strategic goals are achieved. Votes should be based on accomplishments and ability, not looks and demeanor. Lots of pearly-smiled, professionally coiffed baby-kissers have been very, very bad for the people once voted to office.
I birn quil I se
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Randall T wrote:A lot of people don't like their bosses, but it really has nothing to do with how the company performs and strategic goals are achieved. Votes should be based on accomplishments and ability, not looks and demeanor. Lots of pearly-smiled, professionally coiffed baby-kissers have been very, very bad for the people once voted to office.

So when I check on the 2014 strategic goals at http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Mod ... ntid=12400 and I see that the items listed under the number 1 priority "Economic Development" show an average status of 28% with only one objective over 50% (60%) I can assume our present Mayor and council get a failing grade. No accomplishments and ability here folks!
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Personally I think Doug has done a good job over the past few years. West Kelowna has been struggling a little since 2008 & I think people are just looking for someone to blame.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

guxcon wrote:So when I check on the 2014 strategic goals at http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Mod ... ntid=12400 and I see that the items listed under the number 1 priority "Economic Development" show an average status of 28% with only one objective over 50% (60%) I can assume our present Mayor and council get a failing grade. No accomplishments and ability here folks!

Well then, lets get someone in there that will fix that. Rampant deficit spending should speed things up a bit, and as a bonus the big fat tax increase should make everyone ecstatic.
I birn quil I se
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Randall T wrote:
Well then, lets get someone in there that will fix that. Rampant deficit spending should speed things up a bit, and as a bonus the big fat tax increase should make everyone ecstatic.

No, Rampant deficit spending is not the answer, sticking to stated objectives is. Was it the mayor and council or the economic development officer that dropped the ball on this one? Of all the listed objectives only the signage issue shows any notable status and yet talking to small business around DWK and tenants in the Industrial area, the cities approach to signage has actually been a detriment to their businesses. I question whether the current staff and council have any idea on how to approach the issue of economic development and why they would champion a cause they have no intention supporting.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I like my taxes as low as possible like everyone else, but I refuse to listen to politicians that would attempt to woo (fool?) the electorate by not linking promises of low taxes to services. What will be chopped? What will be cut back? What is desirable that will not happen? Is the promise even intelligent and deliverable given contracts that are extant with free enterprise entrepreneurs, or pursuant to labour legislation and the courts? Take that drug addict and alcoholic and liar Rob Ford; apparently he cut the cost of Toronto civic government by contracting everything out. That works once, and over. When the price the guys who don't pay living or even legal wages, don't pay overtime, stat pay, etc., charge for the contracted-out services they provide catches up thanks to inflation or greed, where does a Rob Ford or other incoherent brainless dreamer look to cut? Bridges? Law enforcement? Snow removal? Get serious, people, life is expensive.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

guxcon wrote:No, Rampant deficit spending is not the answer, sticking to stated objectives is. Was it the mayor and council or the economic development officer that dropped the ball on this one? Of all the listed objectives only the signage issue shows any notable status and yet talking to small business around DWK and tenants in the Industrial area, the cities approach to signage has actually been a detriment to their businesses. I question whether the current staff and council have any idea on how to approach the issue of economic development and why they would champion a cause they have no intention supporting.

OK, lets try this. Compare what has been accomplished since incorporation and the RDCO rule. These things don't happen overnight and require experience and money, without extravagant tax increases. We've come a long way in a short period of time. Instead of picking apart what you don't like, then possibly offer some viable solutions, or run for office yourself. There doesn't seem to be a stampede of people looking to fill the mayor and council positions. There's not a lot of choice in this election and I for one am not willing to take a chance on some of the new offerings, regardless of their stated visions. We are at a critical period now and to continue running with experienced people may be the wisest choice at this point. Regardless how you or I feel though, the voters will decide. Hopefully there will be a good turnout so we can get a true reading if folks are happy or not at the progress made to this point.
I birn quil I se
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

mystica wrote:Just a few words to use in the same sentence as the name Doug Findlater...Smug, dismissive, bully, petulant, self important, mildly delusional.....just to mention a few.

So instead of looking objectively at the job he has done you allow your emotions to decide your vote?
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Steve- O says "So instead of looking objectively at the job he has done you allow your emotions to decide your vote?"

You are right Steve-O. Here is the objective part of my post.

The people voted to incorporate the whole of the area (Approximately) from the Bridge down to Gormans - less WFN land.

The council, led by Doug Findlater are rejecting the geographical centre of West Kelowna in any way shape or form and instead concentrating on WESTBANK as our Town center. Once again in Lakeview Heights we're being left out and basically being marginalized.

Such divisive and partisan behavior is led by our (hopefully soon to be Ex Mayor) Doug Findlater.

Why be upset about it...........

Efforts to get rid of the Couplet have been unsuccessful so our mayor and council think it okay to ignore the problems and move on as if they don't exist.

Mayor & Council build a bus exchange on Elliott. That congests Elliott between Dobbing and Main Street. Bus passengers dash across the road without considering traffic. Not too bad in daylight, but wet rainy evenings and winter weather will prove very risky.

Now our Mayor wants a purpose built town hall. No make do for us. Further down Elliott a bit let's build a City Hall and retail/commercial building. Now the traffic off Main and Elliott will increase as people want to access these businesses and the City Hall. Way to go Idaho! Great planning!

Gellatly gets an upgrade from Boucherie to Willow beach. Angus Drive badly needs fixing and should have been done before it's use as a detour route. But no, let's reroute traffic via Angus. It's already crumbling , narrow and poorly lit. What does a little more damage matter. When the work is done, Angus is abandoned. Parts of the road are so cracked up, the pavement is almost gone. But that does not matter because everyone can see what a good job the Mayor and council have done on the lakefront.

I think that is pretty objective about the job he is doing. The other stuff was just icing! I should have mentioned the above sooner. Thanks for your prompting Steve-O....keep posting
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

mystica wrote:
The people voted to incorporate the whole of the area (Approximately) from the Bridge down to Gormans - less WFN land.

The council, led by Doug Findlater are rejecting the geographical centre of West Kelowna in any way shape or form and instead concentrating on WESTBANK as our Town center. Once again in Lakeview Heights we're being left out and basically being marginalized.

Such divisive and partisan behavior is led by our (hopefully soon to be Ex Mayor) Doug Findlater.

Why be upset about it...........

Efforts to get rid of the Couplet have been unsuccessful so our mayor and council think it okay to ignore the problems and move on as if they don't exist.

Mayor & Council build a bus exchange on Elliott. That congests Elliott between Dobbing and Main Street. Bus passengers dash across the road without considering traffic. Not too bad in daylight, but wet rainy evenings and winter weather will prove very risky.

Now our Mayor wants a purpose built town hall. No make do for us. Further down Elliott a bit let's build a City Hall and retail/commercial building. Now the traffic off Main and Elliott will increase as people want to access these businesses and the City Hall. Way to go Idaho! Great planning!

Gellatly gets an upgrade from Boucherie to Willow beach. Angus Drive badly needs fixing and should have been done before it's use as a detour route. But no, let's reroute traffic via Angus. It's already crumbling , narrow and poorly lit. What does a little more damage matter. When the work is done, Angus is abandoned. Parts of the road are so cracked up, the pavement is almost gone. But that does not matter because everyone can see what a good job the Mayor and council have done on

So who will you vote for as mayor, and what have they promised to do to differently?

There will likely be some areas feeling left out, but they can't fix everything all at once. I live in Lakeview and I have seen many more improvements in our area since incorporation than in all the time we threw $ at RDCO. I'm still unsure if we need a new city hall yet, but I haven't seen anyone running against it .
There is always room for improvement and new points of view, but I feel they have done a commendable job in the short time they have been around; particularly given what they started with.
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Randall T wrote:
OK, lets try this. Compare what has been accomplished since incorporation and the RDCO rule. These things don't happen overnight and require experience and money, without extravagant tax increases. We've come a long way in a short period of time. Instead of picking apart what you don't like, then possibly offer some viable solutions, or run for office yourself. There doesn't seem to be a stampede of people looking to fill the mayor and council positions. There's not a lot of choice in this election and I for one am not willing to take a chance on some of the new offerings, regardless of their stated visions. We are at a critical period now and to continue running with experienced people may be the wisest choice at this point. Regardless how you or I feel though, the voters will decide. Hopefully there will be a good turnout so we can get a true reading if folks are happy or not at the progress made to this point.

From my perspective things are not better, as an owner of multiple businesses and properties in West Kelowna I only get one vote yet the impact of poor decision making is multiplied for those in my position. I have yet to converse with 1 business owner in West Kelowna that is satisfied with the present. Prove is in the outflow of businesses to WFN lands and across the pond to Kelowna.
What would I offer as solutions?
1) Follow through on the strategic planning, especially the stated #1 priority.
2) We live in an age where technology is available to most everyone. Use that technology in creating greater efficiencies in operations.
3) Create an atmosphere of “we are here to help you” towards business in West Kelowna. Or stop trying to pretend that economic development is important.
4) Much time and effort has gone into the OCP. Make decisions that support the plan.
I would love to give you more but my wife says it’s time to leave for our cooking class, so maybe when I get back to town.

I did not run this time around due to bad timing on my part, started another new business and am in the throes of trying to grow it, and because I am in Maui as I write this, campaigning would have been a bit of a challenge. Not sure I would be taken seriously participating in candidate’s forums via skype!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

we can always choose a new mayor. of the two available candidates, one is devoid of experience yes, but young learning mayor is fine with the solid experience level of councillors. he would just need to be a tie splitter on divisive subjects. and for a young person learning, that should be no problem.

more time on the decision processes dedicated to educating the new mayor, and consequently public, could be a very positive change.

i will not comment on the other candidate, other than she would bring experience not offered by the gentleman.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Westbank4ever

Post by Westbank4ever »

Our current mayor is stuck on the idea of making Westbank busy. But, he is just concentrating on bringing everything into old Westbank. It needs more than that.
I believe in 'Westbank Forever' but not to fill Westbank with traffic and buildings and make it difficult to move in.

We have an ugly empty precinct where Cattle Country was.
We have ugly boarded up buildings at the bottom of Dobbin at Old Okanagan Hwy.

The council should make the owners take steps to clean up this disgrace so that Westbank can present an attractive face to the world. Visitors to the Okanagan coming off the connector judge by what they see. Before we build up the area, we need to clean it up.

We need to make Westbank a good place to visit, walk and shop in. Lets make it a destination to visit. Have a bandstand and music concerts. Open air patios and small shops.

We should get other stuff done in the municipality first. There is lots of improvements that needs doing.

We are not ready for a Town Hall and the town hall the mayor wants has too many strings attached. and think about a town hall when we are more established and can afford it better .
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Westbank4ever wrote:Westbank can present an attractive face to the world.

Impossible.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”