ForKelowna

Temporary forum for civic elections
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Mtn Biker »

Rwede wrote:Downtown is 95% small businesses. If those are "the top 2%" who will benefit from revitalization that major developments will bring, then the rest of the city must live at the Gospel Mission.

Some losers are sure bitter at those who have worked hard to open a small business and offer employment to citizens of Kelowna. I don't know why, but maybe that's a good thing.

You really do like to call people names don't you? Seems weak to suggest you have a point, then call someone a name . . kind of makes your point, well ... pointless. What I refer to is the underpinnings of the great and wise plan for Kelowna called CD21. Which would see nearly 4 blocks of DK rebuild with 27 story high rises for the rich and useless, displacing existing "heritage" buildings and making it unaffordable for the average worker to live there and nowhere to park a car. I am talking about the real issues of those you agree work and live down there. Why not allow DK to remain the small rural farming lakeside town it began as, and build the Freudian monoliths a few blocks back. Same difference. What would do about parking? Or you have a name for that too?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

You can sit outside an abandoned "heritage building" with your tin cup in your hand, or you can come to work in CD 21 and earn a wage.

Your choice.

I'm not sure if being an unemployed panhandler pays better than golf courses.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Rwede wrote:You can sit outside an abandoned "heritage building" with your tin cup in your hand, or you can come to work in CD 21 and earn a wage.

Your choice.

I'm not sure if being an unemployed panhandler pays better than golf courses.

First, please read the CD21 and understand it's intent. You continue to throw out insults left right and center like you are above it all. I think you must have first hand knowledge for what you say . . . do you use a tin cup?

At the end of the day no sane person would agree CD21 was in the best interest of Kelowna. Only drunken fools who drank from the cup of Milroy and his favorite Kelowna sons, Walter and young Colin could say so.

Maybe see this:
http://www.kelowna.com/tag/cd-21/
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Mtn Biker wrote:You really do like to call people names don't you? Seems weak to suggest you have a point, then call someone a name . . kind of makes your point, well ... pointless.

Fair enough.

Mtn Biker wrote:...Which would see nearly 4 blocks of DK rebuild with 27 story high rises for the rich and useless

Gander/goose, etc.

Mtn Biker wrote:Why not allow DK to remain the small rural farming lakeside town it began as, and build the Freudian monoliths a few blocks back. Same difference. What would do about parking? Or you have a name for that too?

Because DK is not the small rural farming lakeside town is began as. It is now a rapidly growing and attractive destination city for many people for many different reasons. With cities and planners increasingly recognizing the arterial road model cannot grow forever, densification is inevitable, and it makes sense to start downtown where demand is highest.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

This group is the new Old Boy's Network and Colin is the newest face.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Gilchy wrote:Fair enough.

Gee thanks . . was I referring to you?

Gilchy wrote:Gander/goose, etc.

Hardly. Just a wee bit of any oversimplification. So do you know the details of the plan,who put up the money besides the city, who benefits, and who doesn't. I have. The plan benefits a dozen profiteering builders that's it. Oh the construction jobs that come too, but those really are not sustainable employment in the region are they?

Gilchy wrote:Because DK is not the small rural farming lakeside town is began as. It is now a rapidly growing and attractive destination city for many people for many different reasons. With cities and planners increasingly recognizing the arterial road model cannot grow forever, densification is inevitable, and it makes sense to start downtown where demand is highest.

So why change it and for who. I like it, if you're saying you don't then say that. Density you speak of will not be affordable for the people you speak of. That is pretty clear to see when you look at the plan. I believe if you're looking for concrete jungles and urban cities where everyone lives on top or below someone else,see Vancouver - 400kms west.
spikeforklake

Post by spikeforklake »

Can we not think for a moment that these guys actually care about their city? WOW all you people do is hide behind a computer and make up ridiculous theories. I know a couple of these guys and they were born and raised here. Not all of them are "wealthy" but average family men that care about what their kids have to deal with in the future. Old boys club? come on, get real, we aren't living in the 70's here, if you want to produce some proof that any of these guys profited from the current council bing in power then go get it. You can't hide things these days, freedom of information allows you access to everything they did. Go make up your own group and endorse who you want to be the mayor or council if you don't like what they are doing. All they have is a website and a good social media voice, that doesn't cost anything. They have a large network of local people which tells me that they have the respect of their peers and probably care about them too. Stop the bashing and come up with something to show people a better choice and why.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

How much are those who advocate for urban sprawl instead of density willing to pay in increased taxes to provide infrastructure and services?

Shall we populate up the mountainsides further, then pay huge money to run services and things such as transit to rural areas?

There's a big picture that is totally lost on those who promote an inefficient city plan.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

Basaran = New Face of Old Boys' Network

Definition:

"an exclusive network that links members of a profession, social class, or organization or the alumni of a particular school through which the individuals assist one another in business, politics, etc."

Colin talks about his Networking skills. He's the face of the "Old Boy's Network" or the "Want to be Old Boys'Network". In Kelowna, the profession and driving force of the Old Boy's Network seems to be Real Estate.

Anyone who works in a corporate world knows that although it is a little different from what it was in the 70's, but the Old Boy's Network still exists.

I'm voting for the candidates I feel will help make Kelowna a more liveable community for everyone and I firmly believe that Sharon is the best Mayoral candidate to do that.
spikeforklake

Post by spikeforklake »

How can she make it more livable? Her in ability to get off her butt last time she was the mayor drove 1000's of people out of town looking for work and drove the value of everyone's hard earned assets into the toilet. It was horrible for everyone, especially the middle class families. We can't go through that again. Wake up. Basran might not be the ideal candidate but it is wayyyy better than what Sheppard will offer. At least he has something to loose, this is a career for him, it's a hobby for her, we aren't a little farmtown anymore, this is a growing city and we need a full time mayor getting things done. Sheppard is better suited for bing the mayor of Sandlewood Retirement home.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

spikeforklake wrote:Sheppard is better suited for bing the mayor of Sandlewood Retirement home.

Ouch.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Oct 30th, 2014, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: completely off-topic
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

spikeforklake wrote:Basran might not be the ideal candidate but it is wayyyy better than what Sheppard will offer. At least he has something to loose, this is a career for him,

There's my problem with Basran, He can't pay his dues and make it in the real world so he needs the Old Boy's Network to help him. If you're so against Shepherd, what about Thompson? He's a viable and qualified alternative.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I guess 'ForKelowna' supplies Spike with a lot of zingers, but nothing about young Colin's lifetime achievements, academic achievements, achievements on council where we didn't hear a peep out of him for three years, business achievements . . .

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. They won't even tell us how many houses he sold.

I guess when you have an empty suit for a candidate, all you can do is slander the opponent who does actually have a lot of achievements under her belt.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

But yeah, we get it, Spike! He's going to be fresh! A networker! A connector!

As if all of that freshness, networking and connecting helped him in his previous careers.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”