ForKelowna

Temporary forum for civic elections
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Rwede »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I guess 'ForKelowna' supplies Spike with a lot of zingers, but nothing about young Colin's lifetime achievements, academic achievements, achievements on council where we didn't hear a peep out of him for three years, business achievements . . .

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. They won't even tell us how many houses he sold.

I guess when you have an empty suit for a candidate, all you can do is slander the opponent who does actually have a lot of achievements under her belt.

Have to wonder why your love affair with an elitist drama teacher with nothing to offer Canada is at an all-time high then, if you don't like politicians with little experience and little in the way of life's accomplishments.

Sounds very, very hypocritical to me.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Rwede wrote:

Have to wonder why your love affair with an elitist drama teacher with nothing to offer Canada is at an all-time high then, if you don't like politicians with little experience and little in the way of life's accomplishments.

Sounds very, very hypocritical to me.

Well you may have a point, but actually, nah I don't think so. What you have is a love for good ole boys, that's pretty clear. After all we proved three years ago the election goes to the highest bidder. Regardless of any track record (and he has none) Basran cannot shake the stink of selling out. Smells like cheap cigars and scotch to me. Sad that people I thought were smarter than that, like you Rwede, are supporters of this foul crap. I'm not so much worried about Sheppard winning as I am about making sure that the for chicken sh!ts don't get to buy another election. What a travesty!
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Rwede wrote:You can sit outside an abandoned "heritage building" with your tin cup in your hand, or you can come to work in CD 21 and earn a wage.

Your choice.

I'm not sure if being an unemployed panhandler pays better than golf courses.

See now this is typical of the rampant stupidity abounding in this election. There are a lot of options other than CD21 to strengthen the economy and move Kelowna forward. And in fact, Kelowna's economic prosperity was rated higher during the Sheppard years than any for some time before or after. Why do you think that is? Maybe because real investors are interested in dealing with a fair and smart plan and not willing to come to the playing field when it's already been sold to one or two developers with questionable connection to council, mayor and/or city staff.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

nextimeround wrote:
See now this is typical of the rampant stupidity abounding in this election. There are a lot of options other than CD21 to strengthen the economy and move Kelowna forward. And in fact, Kelowna's economic prosperity was rated higher during the Sheppard years than any for some time before or after. Why do you think that is? Maybe because real investors are interested in dealing with a fair and smart plan and not willing to come to the playing field when it's already been sold to one or two developers with questionable connection to council, mayor and/or city staff.

Here you have a lucid comment that actually makes sense with out name calling. The rampant stupidity abounds more than just on these pages. It abounds when anyone thinks ForKelowna has any interests other than their own. I suggest you start looking at the candidates, because there are a lot of smart, energetic people lining up for council. Sadly, when I speak to those in the same age bracket as Basran, none support him and agree this is just another ego ride for a person who's been aboard that sled most of his life. Let's elect the real workers and smart people for council, and leave the "politicians" on the side. I'll take smart over smooth every day.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I don't know why some people oppose jobs and prosperity. It makes little sense.

To think that only "6 old white guys" receive any benefit from a development is outright foolish and completely misleading.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
lbjles

Post by lbjles »

These are the six people behind ForKelowna.
To me they are not greedy, dirty people. They look like they are long time Kelowna residents that care about our community because they live here too!!

I appreciate the fact that a group like this is giving support to ones they believe will do the best job for running the City.

To me they are just giving back to the community.

Brad Cronquist
Partner, Pushor Mitchell LLP; Director of Kelowna Chamber 1997-2003; Past President of Kelowna Chamber of Commerce (2002); Past President Kelowna Jaycees (1996); Senator JCI International (International body overseeing Junior Board of Trade & Jaycees), Soccer coach KYSA 2010-2011.

Rodney Friesen
President of Voyager RV Centre (1984-current); Senior Managing Director of Natco Trading Company Inc. (1984-current) (online classified advertising of RV’s, cars & boats); Kelowna resident since 1973 and Downtown resident since 2003.

Cal McCarthy
President of SW Audio+Visual and Showtime Events Services with operations in all regions of BC (two-time recipient of Business Excellence Award); former Director/VP Kelowna Chamber of Commerce; former Board Member of Central Okanagan Child Development Association; Member of 2004 & 2013 Memorial Cup Bid Committee; and former Regional Chairman Spirit of BC/ 2010 Olympic Committee.

Jorin Wolf
Founder/President of Jorin Wolf Interior Design, past volunteer in Elizabeth Fry Society (victim assistance); main charity contributions are Cancer Society and the homeless around my studio (in downtown area); Downtown Kelowna residents since 1993, passionate about helping our downtown community grow and flourish.

Barry Lapointe
Founder/Chairman/CEO of Kelowna Flightcraft, past Chairman of the Airline Transport Association of Canada (ATAC) board and and is now serving as Secretary. Barry was also a member of the Partnership BC (PBC) and is a current Director with Purolator Courier Ltd. (PCL)

Darryl Doerkson
Senior Underwriter for Interior Equities Corp. with 19 plus years in the finance industry. Kelowna resident for 15 plus years. Former Vice President of Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of Kelowna chapter. Former Kelowna chapter JAYCEE member.
Black Daisies
Board Meister

Post by Black Daisies »

Isn't Brad Cronquist a legal representative of Milroy?
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

[
lbjles wrote:To me they are just giving back to the community.Brad CronquistPartner, Pushor Mitchell LLP; Director of Kelowna Chamber 1997-2003; Past President of Kelowna Chamber of Commerce (2002); Past President Kelowna Jaycees (1996); Senator JCI International (International body overseeing Junior Board of Trade & Jaycees), Soccer coach KYSA 2010-2011.Rodney FriesenPresident of Voyager RV Centre (1984-current); Senior Managing Director of Natco Trading Company Inc. (1984-current) (online classified advertising of RV’s, cars & boats); Kelowna resident since 1973 and Downtown resident since 2003.Cal McCarthyPresident of SW Audio+Visual and Showtime Events Services with operations in all regions of BC (two-time recipient of Business Excellence Award); former Director/VP Kelowna Chamber of Commerce; former Board Member of Central Okanagan Child Development Association; Member of 2004 & 2013 Memorial Cup Bid Committee; and former Regional Chairman Spirit of BC/ 2010 Olympic Committee.Jorin WolfFounder/President of Jorin Wolf Interior Design, past volunteer in Elizabeth Fry Society (victim assistance); main charity contributions are Cancer Society and the homeless around my studio (in downtown area); Downtown Kelowna residents since 1993, passionate about helping our downtown community grow and flourish.Barry LapointeFounder/Chairman/CEO of Kelowna Flightcraft, past Chairman of the Airline Transport Association of Canada (ATAC) board and and is now serving as Secretary. Barry was also a member of the Partnership BC (PBC) and is a current Director with Purolator Courier Ltd. (PCL)Darryl DoerksonSenior Underwriter for Interior Equities Corp. with 19 plus years in the finance industry. Kelowna resident for 15 plus years. Former Vice President of Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of Kelowna chapter. Former Kelowna chapter JAYCEE member.

These 6 individuals seem to be very experienced business professionals in their related fields. What I'm trying to understand is why they are endorsing a candidate for mayor that has less than five years of relevant experience in municipal politics and leadership. The mayor is the chief executive officer of the municipality according to the Community Charter (Section 116). The CEO is a top level position in any organization that in my opinion requires significant experience especially with the size of Kelowna (number of employees & budget) If Barry, the CEO of Kelowna Flightcraft were to retire, would he recommend someone for CEO at Kelowna Flightcraft with less than five years of relevant experience. Or would the law firm of Pushor Mitchell hire a partner with less than five years experience in the legal profession? In their endorsement of Colin for mayor, I would like to know the criteria and the weight being placed on that criteria for selecting Colin over the other mayoral candidates.
lbjles

Post by lbjles »

KelownaResid

I agree Colin may not be first on my wish list as Mayor of Kelowna. However he appears to be first out of who is running.

This is an important job, but we only have the choice out of who is running for it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Black Daisies wrote:Isn't Brad Cronquist a legal representative of Milroy?

I hope so. It shows that he has experience in economic development and knows what it takes to be successful. His backing of candidates who understand that process then, by association, puts them ahead of others in this area.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

lbjles wrote:I agree Colin may not be first on my wish list as Mayor of Kelowna. However he appears to be first out of who is running.

This is an important job, but we only have the choice out of who is running for it.

You should probably ask yourself why the five and the developers' lawyer* are working so hard and spending so much to install a young lad who bounces from career to career, has no record of hard work or accomplishments in those careers, whose educational achievements are apparently secret and who distinguished himself not even slightly in the last council.

Would the young lad have a chance in hell if this old money was not backing him? Was the young lad really the best candidate they could dredge up?

Who will really benefit from having a mayor who is possibly beholden to the five and the developers' lawyer?

The five and the developers' lawyer have so little genuine respect for the lad, he had to find out through the media that they were bankrolling his campaign!

*Does not refer to any specific persons or group.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

I hope at least Basran got a promise of a 4th career from one of the ForKelowna crew when he loses his bid for mayor. I wonder what the group thought of his performance today in the mayoral debate? As far as I am concerned they got just what they paid for - an empty suit.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Five ofthe six 'ForKelowna' steering committee are representative of the small-town commerce mentality that has held Kelowna back from reaching its potential for so long: only Lapointe has any real experience of the type of business we need and I'm rather surprised he's lent his name to this group.

They like Basran as he fits their limited thinking about economic development and will be compliant with their needs.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Forkelowna has picked their councillors:

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-126085-108-.htm#126085

Not at all surprised that there is another Gray in the list.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Anonymous123 wrote:Not at all surprised that there is another Gray in the list.

She has her own garden and cans tomatoes. I like down to earth gals.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”