Rose vs Baker: $1 million wasted

taxpayer

Re: Rose vs Baker: $1 million wasted

Post by taxpayer »

You appear to have very close knowledge of the inner workings of DoLC, and yet you have to ask me to review the financial statements for you. I think that makes my point.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

LOL no it does not make your point at all. Just that I am not interested in going through the financial statements to try and justify a pensioned off CAO who is insisting that the District has wasted $1 million dollars.
AND if the CFO is gone well the only thing I would be interested in would be the shuffle and shake up. That is another hinny that should have moved on and quite frankly could have moved on time and time again throughout the entire run for James as mayor 3 times over!

Edited July 16 to add: City of Kelowna looking for people for their finance division
The Civic Operations Finance and Administration Services Supervisor maintains efficient and effective administration and financial support to ensure the operation of this branch meets all the needs of the Division and Corporation. The position is responsible for operating practices and functions within Civic Operations. All budgeting, financial reporting, capital project coordination, analyzes, improvement in financial reporting, accounting system and staff development are key functions in this role. Extensive Financial Administration management and experience in the areas of financial management, human relations. Canadian Accounting Designation (CPA,CMA, CGA OR CA), plus several years extensive experience. Responsibility/Accountability Professional Credibility Technical Expertise Service Excellence Problem Solving Conflict Resolution Communication Excellence Team Building Innovation Decision Making Leadership Project Management Financial/Administrative Accountability
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

I think one should look at the results of the last election, and check out just how close the votes were, between Mr. Baker and our local realtor who has his own agendas. Not a stretch to say that the limited number spread was a bit unnerving to me. Anyone remember that??
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The unnerving part is that Baker got back in and promptly spent many thousand dollars taking a volunteer community group to the Supreme Court.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I would sure like to see a "value for dollars spent" audit done on the hundreds of thousands of dollars Mayor Baker has frivolously spent in repeatedly pursuing his personal pet projects using Lake Country taxpayer money.

In two years of publicly asking how much money has been spent to date in the mayors repeated attempts to cut the long term small lease renters off from all access to lake water I have never received a reply from the Mayor or Council. Even though the water is not suitable for domestic use and, in total, only amounts to a fraction of the amount of water that evaporates from the (usually frozen over) lakes.

When municipal authorities demonstrate that they are that dead set against free enterprise one would wonder why any business would even consider locating or relocating to Lake Country.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Donald G wrote:I would sure like to see a "value for dollars spent" audit done on the hundreds of thousands of dollars Mayor Baker has frivolously spent in repeatedly pursuing his personal pet projects using Lake Country taxpayer money.

In two years of publicly asking how much money has been spent to date in the mayors repeated attempts to cut the long term small lease renters off from all access to lake water I have never received a reply from the Mayor or Council. Even though the water is not suitable for domestic use and, in total, only amounts to a fraction of the amount of water that evaporates from the (usually frozen over) lakes.

When municipal authorities demonstrate that they are that dead set against free enterprise one would wonder why any business would even consider locating or relocating to Lake Country.

Well do not ever think you would have the support of the Rose component in your quest for the leases on the lakes. He is for control not release to the public, always was and if he flips now.... oh right if he does run for office of Mayor (LOL) that would give him a bit of a platform.....
And as far as ever finding out how much is spent on a litigation matter - it will never be answered and you are wasting your time and energy. It really does not matter in the end as the District has lawyers on retainers for this type of issue and pays them whether they use them this year, this month or even during this regime, so it is all skewed up in the "general" funds. This is an absolute for any government agency!
do I agree with it? Absolutely not as I feel you are within your right to know, as are all other individuals that would like to know. Also there are lawyers that specialize in representing the local governments and they are all high priced.... not as if they pick and choose the local LLB, no they go for the big boys with the very large hourly rates!
http://www.younganderson.ca/practice/ take a guess what it costs to have this group in your back pocket on retainer!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
gregoline

Post by gregoline »

Rose not so sweet in my opinion.
I've lived and worked in Lake Country for 35 years. I am a taxpayer and a local business owner. I rarely write to newspapers. It's been years since I have done so. But I simply cannot remain silent while Randy Rose makes untrue and outrageously hypocritical statements about our current Mayor, Council, and our Municipal administrators.
I think it's the hypocrisy of Mr. Rose's election platform that appalls and disgusts me the most. He was certainly a bully during his tenure as Chief Administrator for Lake Country. He bullied our elected representatives and he obstructed Lake Country taxpayers and developers when they attempted to access municipal services. During Mr. Rose's tenure, Lake Country had a reputation as being one of the most difficult municipalities to deal with in BC. Essential municipal processes slowed to a speed that would have made a sloth look like it was on crack by comparison. He contributed to several situations in Lake Country that were so untenable that the Municipality was sued several times. The goings on down at Crystal Waters were legendary. His antics have certainly cost the taxpayers of Lake Country outrageous amounts of money in legal fees. Isn't it true that he was let go from several positions he held with other municipalities prior to coming to us? It makes one wonder how he was ever hired as Chief Administrator in Lake Country in the first place.
The fact is that things have improved dramatically since Mr. Rose retired. Since he left, Lake Country Council and Administration have been allowed to work together instead of rowing in opposite directions. It took a long time to clean up Randy's mess, but we've got a good team down there now thanks to the cooperation between our current Chief Administrator, Alberto De Feo, and our elected officials. In stark contrast to Mr. Rose, Mr. De Feo has the attitude that he is there to serve, advise and facilitate.
Mr. Rose must think that we in Lake Country are just a bunch of country bumpkins that don't read and are far too preoccupied with strumming our banjos to remember his history with us. He underestimates us to the point that he thinks he can press a few 'hot' buttons by making inaccurate, inflammatory and hypocritical statements about the current regime wasting tax dollars, bullying, low morale, sexism etc, and that we'll mindlessly swallow it and then vote for him based on name recognition. Let's get out there and vote and prove him wrong. Electing Randy Rose would be a disastrous step backward. He's already proven himself to be a costly liability and a disruptive influence. Let's not repeat the mistakes of the past.
I sincerely wish Mr. Rose every happiness in a long and uninterrupted retirement.
Caroline Wightman
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

gregoline wrote:
The fact is that things have improved dramatically since Mr. Rose retired. Since he left, Lake Country Council and Administration have been allowed to work together instead of rowing in opposite directions.

Maybe the problem was council and not Rose. It takes two parties to row in opposite directions, ya know.

Again, I'm not a Rose fan. And I'm no fan of the current council, either.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

gregoline wrote:
The fact is that things have improved dramatically since Mr. Rose retired. Since he left, Lake Country Council and Administration have been allowed to work together instead of rowing in opposite directions.

Rwede wrote:Maybe the problem was council and not Rose. It takes two parties to row in opposite directions, ya know.

Again, I'm not a Rose fan. And I'm no fan of the current council, either.

Every council? Not! gregoline has nailed it on the head.... and sees that with the current council and the current CAO there has and continues to be a change for the betterment of the constituents
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Does anyone know if there is gonna be a public platform for us to engage with the encumbants, before we go to vote?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Myrna wrote:Does anyone know if there is gonna be a public platform for us to engage with the encumbants, before we go to vote?

yes flip on over to the Lake Country Election thread.... they are posted there
oatesang

Post by oatesang »

Caroline Wightman talking about Randy Rose says

"He underestimates us to the point that he thinks he can press a few 'hot' buttons by making inaccurate, inflammatory and hypocritical statements about the current regime wasting tax dollars, bullying, low morale, sexism etc, and that we'll mindlessly swallow it and then vote for him based on name recognition"

Hmmm - Randy Rose's comments are not inaccurate, inflammatory or hypocritical, they are all true. You have no working knowledge of any of the going on's at the district, and are in no position to criticise. I am glad that someone has taken on this issue, complaints are being ignored by the the present administration and council, and staff fear for their jobs.

At least Mr. Rose appreciates the talent that has been lost and of those who still work at the DLC and I applaud him for standing as a councillor and bringing these issues to the forefront of his election campaign, when so many others hide behind forums like this, or election platforms that use the 'buzz' words that they think will get them elected - accessibilty, sustainability and every other kind of 'ability', except accountability.

He doesn't think we are stupid, or that we will mindlessly swallow it, he is simply trying to inform people that all is not well at the district offices and that the business review has done more harm than good. It is only right that the tax dollars that we work so hard for, are used to better the community that we all love so much, so to see a million of our hard earned
dollars being used to pay severances for high earning directors, only to be replaced by new high earning directors with new titles, is wrong on so many levels.

Despite numerous blogs or editorials telling us how wonderful things are, nothing worth a million dollars has been achieved, however much it is sugar coated with talk of savings and increased production. How is that even possible when so many staff have been laid off? Try getting a building inspection when you need one, no one person can work enough hours in the day to have his work suddenly doubled and get to every inspection that is required, that is just ridiculous, but we are still paying the same amount for our permits!

Have you phoned the DLC lately? No more cheery customer service lady wishing us a good morning asking how they can help us, there are so few staff there now that the phones are answered by a machine who will direct our call if we know the extension of the person we wish to speak to, if not, you can spell their name, if you know it, eventually you will be connected to a real person but not before you have wasted time listening to the inane messages. The DLC is a public office and they are there to serve us, we pay dearly for living here so sometimes a gentle reminder is needed that it is our money being wasted.

I suppose it is unusual to have someone stand for council and honestly say why they felt it was necessary to do so, but I think it is refreshing and I wish I was able to vote for him, sadly I do not live in that ward but I wish him every success.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

oatesang wrote:Caroline Wightman talking about Randy Rose says

"He underestimates us to the point that he thinks he can press a few 'hot' buttons by making inaccurate, inflammatory and hypocritical statements about the current regime wasting tax dollars, bullying, low morale, sexism etc, and that we'll mindlessly swallow it and then vote for him based on name recognition"

Hmmm - Randy Rose's comments are not inaccurate, inflammatory or hypocritical, they are all true. You have no working knowledge of any of the going on's at the district, and are in no position to criticise. I am glad that someone has taken on this issue, complaints are being ignored by the the present administration and council, and staff fear for their jobs.

At least Mr. Rose appreciates the talent that has been lost and of those who still work at the DLC and I applaud him for standing as a councillor and bringing these issues to the forefront of his election campaign, when so many others hide behind forums like this, or election platforms that use the 'buzz' words that they think will get them elected - accessibilty, sustainability and every other kind of 'ability', except accountability.

He doesn't think we are stupid, or that we will mindlessly swallow it, he is simply trying to inform people that all is not well at the district offices and that the business review has done more harm than good. It is only right that the tax dollars that we work so hard for, are used to better the community that we all love so much, so to see a million of our hard earned
dollars being used to pay severances for high earning directors, only to be replaced by new high earning directors with new titles, is wrong on so many levels.

Despite numerous blogs or editorials telling us how wonderful things are, nothing worth a million dollars has been achieved, however much it is sugar coated with talk of savings and increased production. How is that even possible when so many staff have been laid off? Try getting a building inspection when you need one, no one person can work enough hours in the day to have his work suddenly doubled and get to every inspection that is required, that is just ridiculous, but we are still paying the same amount for our permits!

Have you phoned the DLC lately? No more cheery customer service lady wishing us a good morning asking how they can help us, there are so few staff there now that the phones are answered by a machine who will direct our call if we know the extension of the person we wish to speak to, if not, you can spell their name, if you know it, eventually you will be connected to a real person but not before you have wasted time listening to the inane messages. The DLC is a public office and they are there to serve us, we pay dearly for living here so sometimes a gentle reminder is needed that it is our money being wasted.

I suppose it is unusual to have someone stand for council and honestly say why they felt it was necessary to do so, but I think it is refreshing and I wish I was able to vote for him, sadly I do not live in that ward but I wish him every success.

OMG are you for real?

Everything that the other poster wrote was dead on. Randy is p'oed that his cushy corner office has changed and that the District is going in a much needed different direction since his departure.

Did he and you actually think that it would stay the same? It was a long time coming and it has been a slow methodical change, well thought out and supported by outside opinion. Not that it was truly required but done to prove to you naysayers and Rose supporters that things were sorely in need of a major overhaul for many many years.

Even if Rose does get into office he will have a nil effect. He forgets or likes to think he rebuild a whack of bridges he burnt through the years. Sadly for him though there are still enough taxpayers in Lake Country, resident and non-resident, who have not forgotten.

It will be interesting for sure but a bored retired CAO coming back to the trough for a double dip and just to be the *bleep* disturber in the crowd is extremely counter productive to the taxpayers and a childish peeing contest over his dislike of his replacement will be extremely disruptive to business.

And go ahead and call the hall if you like, but call any business or city hall and compare the responses before stating that things are somehow different .... cause I do not know who you spoke to but I was greeted with a very pleasant voice on the other end of the line last week and the week before as well, two different voices, two different times... at least it was a human voice and not a recorded message asking you to push 1 for English or 2 for BS.
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

Hope all here are going to check out the election encumbants on Monday...
Correct me if you wish, I think election of fresh minded councillors is possibly more important than election of the mayor, as it is the councillors that have the power to to vote one way or another, including the Mayor of course , and can have a direct effect on the results of issues at hand during council meetings. Councellors must be wiling to research what works in other municipalities, when it comes to change in by-laws, dev't etc.
Yes, I have been to a number of council meetings in 2013- 2014, and understand to a degree how things work, I am a director of a club, and I know how difficult it is to get BOD to see things my way. We all have a different points of view.
Process can be frustrating. One may only blame themselves for thoughts they have, cause blaming others makes a person defensive.
My spouse and I have been in the corner office with the previous administrator, back in the day, trying to resolve a crisis, and in front of council a number of times regarding this crisis. It became a personal nightmare for us, and ended up horriby for our family. Hubby still despises the administrator, - you know who-
I have moved on better than my spouse, as it was not just one persons fault, that hings ended up the way it did.

I believe going to council meeting and standing up in public comment regarding what's on the table is very important... As it gives those councillors something to think about before they put their hand up to vote is I
Important. People seem to only go when it regards their business, and don't think other issues need a public opinion.
It's like a court house in council meetings, and mayor is very good at controlling public speak time and getting council to vote, quickly.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

The little hamlet community of Winfield deserves fresh young blood as their representative, one with experience on council to boot.
What they do not need is an old staff member with a grudge.
Rose is singing the same old song about the Mayor that he did when Baker first stepped up and threw his hat in to give of his time for the constituents of Lake Country.
I really thought he would have tried for Mayor and not a ward council member. I just hope the voters realize that it is their tax dollars that have contributed to this persons pension and now he wants more by trying for a paid position on council, with benefits!
It is also interesting to note who nominates candidates.... nomination papers posted here https://lakecountry.civicweb.net/Documents/DocumentList.aspx?ID=39978 often taking a look at the behind the scenes support tells a story.

Return to “Central Okanagan”