ForKelowna

Temporary forum for civic elections
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, house is a building.

So, technically every home owner in Kelowna is as qualified as her.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Partmanpartfish wrote:That's not what I'm doing. I'm voicing my opposition to money groups getting involved in civic politics and trying to buy elections. One of the few ways to oppose these groups is to refuse to support the candidates they pick.

I like the fact that you aren't going to support Shepherd because the big money firefighters union is backing her. Bravo!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:I like the fact that you aren't going to support Shepherd because the big money firefighters union is backing her. Bravo!

Yes, Bravo; Exactly what I was thinking when I heard the news. A very good example of a special interest group with large money backing buying a seat in the mayors chair.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Partmanpartfish wrote:^
Same old. Same old. It sure is hard for you guys to come up with a single positive thing to say about Basran.

A large number of people have made numerous positive comments in regards to Basaran. Unfortunately you have been too blinded by passion to actually listen to them. You have taken the stance that you will not consider any person who received an endorsement from anyone who may be wealthier than you.
Regardless of whether a person is the right person for the job or not is irrelevant to you if they have been endorsed by a successful business person.

In my opinion, Basaran is a good example of a new, eager person who may just be the fresh set of eyes this city needs. He certainly looked to be the best candidate for seeing some serious changes at city hall.

That said, I am actually leaning more towards Mark Thompson to be honest. He is a fresh set of eyes, has years of experience, and knows how to run successful business.

My fear for this election is that Basaran & Thompson will split the vote and Shepard will win. She will not win because the majority want her; she will win because the majority wanted someone other than her.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Panzer130 wrote:In my opinion, Basaran is a good example of a new, eager person who may just be the fresh set of eyes this city needs. He certainly looked to be the best candidate for seeing some serious changes at city hall.

Does any Basran supporter know what a platitude is? I think not.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

There is no evidence that Basran is prepared to change much at city hall.
Or that he tried during the current term.

But I agree that Mark Thompson should get some consideration?
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
That's not what I'm doing. I'm voicing my opposition to money groups getting involved in civic politics and trying to buy elections. One of the few ways to oppose these groups is to refuse to support the candidates they pick.

When you pick someone supported by a big money group, you are not picking that person, but the whole group. The person who is elected will have to give out favours, and do the things that group wants.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
edwardv
Fledgling

Post by edwardv »

kompili wrote:
When you pick someone supported by a big money group, you are not picking that person, but the whole group. The person who is elected will have to give out favours, and do the things that group wants.

Hopefully the elected person would not bow to the wishes of the backer, but forChangeKelowna seems to have deep pockets and throw lots of money into this election. It gives the perception that they have a vested interest in the candidates that they have picked.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Like the firefighters union?
You and 71 others Like this post
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Panzer130 wrote:
That said, I am actually leaning more towards Mark Thompson to be honest. He is a fresh set of eyes, has years of experience, and knows how to run successful business.

My fear for this election is that Basaran & Thompson will split the vote and Shepard will win. She will not win because the majority want her; she will win because the majority wanted someone other than her.

This, exactly.
I haven't failed until I quit.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

ForKelowna is endorsing Basran for mayor.

One thing that stands out with the 2011 election results is the number of votes Basran got.

http://www.kelowna.ca/iElections/script ... on2011.htm

I was surprised he even made it on council much less finish with the third most votes, more votes than some long serving council members including Hobson & Blanleil. Basran hired a local company to assist him with his campaign in 2011. Here is the link http://www.centroconsultinginc.com/case ... councilor/

The above centro consulting link states:
We extensively studied the scientific and popular literature on elections and voting behaviour. Our hunch was confirmed very early in the research phase - voting is not a rational behaviour and people rarely vote for the candidate who best represents their interests. Instead, people primarily vote for the person who they are comfortable with and who they thing exhibits strong leadership qualitites. In municipal politics it often comes down to name recognition and that's why incumbents are often re-elected. At the end of the day it's a popularity contest.

I think it is evident by the number of votes Barsan received in 2011 that it was a smart move to hire Centro Consulting. These endorsements from ForKelowna will assist Basran and the other councillors in getting votes.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Oh come on now, there's a big difference between firefighters endorsing a candidate or candidates and what the dirty half-dozen are doing. I don't see firefighters spending $40K + in advertising or trying to play "gawd" by choosing who we should vote for. Any statement to the contrary is plain and simple bull crap.

I can say with absolute certainty that I WILL NOT support any candidate that associates with that banner. Period. And I'm doing everything I can to spread the word to whoever will listen - somewhat surprisingly that's a lot of people.

We need to send a message to these guys that their money cannot buy control of city hall.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

nextimeround wrote:Oh come on now, there's a big difference between firefighters endorsing a candidate or candidates and what the dirty half-dozen are doing. I don't see firefighters spending $40K + in advertising or trying to play "gawd" by choosing who we should vote for. Any statement to the contrary is plain and simple bull crap.

I can say with absolute certainty that I WILL NOT support any candidate that associates with that banner. Period. And I'm doing everything I can to spread the word to whoever will listen - somewhat surprisingly that's a lot of people.

We need to send a message to these guys that their money cannot buy control of city hall.

So you know how much all groups are spending? If you say you do then, to use your turn of phrase, you are spouting "plain and simple bull crap".

Support or don't support whomever you wish. We live in a democratic society and we all have that right.

I just hope and assume that most people have more intelligence than someone who won't support someone simply because someone else does support them.
You and 71 others Like this post
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

LANDM wrote:So you know how much all groups are spending? If you say you do then, to use your turn of phrase, you are spouting "plain and simple bull crap".

Support or don't support whomever you wish. We live in a democratic society and we all have that right.

I just hope and assume that most people have more intelligence than someone who won't support someone simply because someone else does support them.

I believe that's the low end estimate of what this group spent last election, that's where that amount comes from. I admit I did not personally oversee their books. I suppose you're just fine with a few haves dictating in a large way who will run city hall? What if they were Nazis, or how about Hells Angels or some other organized crime unit? From your perspective it shouldn't make a difference. Well I'm sorry to say it most definitely does. Who is endorsing, how they endorse and for what reason should matter and to most it does matter.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Just getting back to T. Gray running for city council. My question is how much time does "Wonder Women" have to attend council meetings and other duties that are required. Everyone knows Andre Blanliel had the highest absent rate from meetings of any councilor. Why......because he has a pretty successful business that requires the bulk of his time. T. Gray has told us what her life consists of......so tell me.....what part of it gets dropped so you have time for city council? If I call you with an issue, I want a call back ASAP, not 2 weeks later......if at all.

And YES......she IS using the Gray name in hopes it helps HER add to HER resume.

NO VOTE!

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”