Mary Mandarino
6%

Total votes: 53

nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Poll: West Kelowna Mayor

Post by nextimeround »

guxcon wrote:
I have been trying for the past 6 months to get answers and get nothing but rhetoric and "we are looking into it" Someone screwed up royally and our council and staff are trying their best to side step the issue. Honest business are hounded by Bylaw over minor signage infractions while "grey area" businesses flourish. Time for Findlater and crew to step up to the plate and deliver on the promise they made at the all candidates forums 3 years ago!

PS Nice ribbon cutting on Westlake Road Doug...by the way have you made restitution to the individual whose property your engineering staff dug into exposing roots on established trees and then refused to acknowledge their mistake even after a survey proved them in the wrong? We have a council and city staff out of control and forgetting who they really work for, time to let them know!

Well said. I agree completely.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Let's keep this simple:
Hands up. Who DOESN'T want to give Findlater another +/- $250,000.oo in Mayor's a salary during the next four years?
Then Vote accordingly.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Interesting observation: Of approximately 1100 who have read this thread, only 43 bothered to vote!
Is this indicative of our up-coming election day/polling station attendance?
Last edited by ferri on Nov 4th, 2014, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: entire post bolded
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

With apologies to Urbane, these internet polls are silly, they don't account for the fact that many people have not made up their minds, and a lot of the thread's visitors may not be residents of DWK. I myself am a DWK resident, but I have not made a mark on the poll here for Reasons No. 1 & No. 2.

That said, turnout may be abysmal, of course. Or not. It probably won't be great, would be my prediction.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

occasional thoughts wrote:With apologies to Urbane, these internet polls are silly, they don't account for the fact that many people have not made up their minds, and a lot of the thread's visitors may not be residents of DWK. I myself am a DWK resident, but I have not made a mark on the poll here for Reasons No. 1 & No. 2.

That said, turnout may be abysmal, of course. Or not. It probably won't be great, would be my prediction.
I agree. The polls on here are not scientific and are only a sampling of those who choose to make a selection. However, I sense that Doug Findlater will be re-elected. I rather like Stephen Johnston and if he had run for council he would definitely have voted for him.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

guxcon wrote:There is currently an injunction in the courts that the RCMP is using as an excuse not to shut the operations down. The City cannot tell me under what premise these operations are operating (who is regulating them) they only tell me that they are "legitimate businesses". The mayor and council recently had the opportunity to control where and how these operations could exist in DWK and choose to allow them into the Light Industrial zone without any concern as to the negative impact on the existing businesses in the area. When questioned by reporters both the Findlater and Ophus said they did not like it but used the excuse that they were forced to make a decision because of some time constraints??? Sorry gentleman but a few years ago you put a one year moratorium on any new developments because you needed more time to complete the OCP, the same could have been applied here! Other cities have extensive restrictions on these operations, no excuse for our council not to have done the same.

if they are legal then stop trying to be a snitch
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

lakevixen wrote:

if they are legal then stop trying to be a snitch[/quote]

Are you saying then that as a taxpayer and citizen I do not have the right to my freedoms and should close my eyes and bury my head in the sand whenever I see injustice?

If these were "legal operations I should would not be able to smell them, read the Federal regulations! I and a dozen other businesses around me just want to be able to work in and around our shops without having to put up with the smell of harvesting pot all around us. No one can honestly say that they don't mind a pungent "dead skunk" odor!

I am simply asking "Are these registered legal medicinal grow ops"? None are on the list from Health Canada. So far no authority has come out and said that they are legal operations, the RCMP indicated they were operating in a "grey" area of the law. Since no one is claiming authority over these operations, the businesses around them are forced to put up with the unpleasant by products with no recourse.

Seems like you and I have different Visions of the community DWK should be. If we who are affected leave we take our businesses, the jobs they create, the community sponsorships, and substantial tax dollars with us. Can this district really afford any more of that?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

guxcon wrote:
    Are you saying then that as a taxpayer and citizen I do not have the right to my freedoms and should close my eyes and bury my head in the sand whenever I see injustice?

If these were "legal operations I should would not be able to smell them, read the Federal regulations! I and a dozen other businesses around me just want to be able to work in and around our shops without having to put up with the smell of harvesting pot all around us. No one can honestly say that they don't mind a pungent "dead skunk" odor!

I am simply asking "Are these registered legal medicinal grow ops"? None are on the list from Health Canada. So far no authority has come out and said that they are legal operations, the RCMP indicated they were operating in a "grey" area of the law. Since no one is claiming authority over these operations, the businesses around them are forced to put up with the unpleasant by products with no recourse.

Seems like you and I have different Visions of the community DWK should be. If we who are affected leave we take our businesses, the jobs they create, the community sponsorships, and substantial tax dollars with us. Can this district really afford any more of that?
You raise some excellent points and as someone who can't stand the smell of pot I sympathize with you totally. I suppose eventually this "grey area" will be sorted out by the courts but in the meantime it's not good news for those of you trying to run businesses in the area.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

guxcon wrote:

I'm not necessarily opposed to legal grow ops, nor am I completely in favor - I'm still undecided. Much to your point guxcon, this is arguably one of those times where we should slow the bus down and get a much better understanding of the overall ramifications verses the benefits.

I will add my displeasure in hearing that there was no voiced opposition from (at least) two people who during a forum in the last campaign stated without hesitation that they would consider changing bylaws to prevent so called "head shops" from operating in the wrong areas. They clearly have no problem saying what people want to hear without blinking an eye and I have to guess no intention of doing such things.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”