Penticton Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Election

Post by XT225 »

I found this statement on the Herald website and I believe that it really says it all. THIS is the main reason that I am supporting John Vassalaki: A strong mayor runs City Hall. A weak mayor is run by City Hall.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Yes, it is time for the tail to stop wagging the dog at City Hall. And contrary to popular belief, it is not the CAO that is the direct problem. Indirectly, yes,.....but she she needs a mandate from a strong council that says "crack down". Litke has allowed, and given too much rope, to management in Engineering and Development Services. These are unelected "and well paid" bureaucrats that are actually forming policy in Penticton. And it is clearly very personal at times. I can name a half dozen multi million dollar entities that will not touch anything to do with development in Penticton because of this.
For lord's sake, what do we have when we have a council that follows bureaucrats recommendations besides an unelected bureaucracy running the city.
And that folks is what happens when you have a retired school teacher running essentially a 100 million dollar a year business that is the City Of Penticton. Completely over his head he asks senior staff, "what should we do" Instead of "this is what we are going to do".
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

So, if you own several businesses in town, have spent your time living in this city and volunteering thousands of hours with chamber, tourism, hockey etc...and you have 2 mayoral candidates - one of which has approached you to say 'hey, what are your thoughts' and another that hasn't bothered, would that influence your vote?
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I'm wondering what everyone is thinking about the council candidates ~ particularly the new/younger candidates. I have tried to follow the information through forums and media questions etc. Ryan Foster is a young family man (and organic farmer). I like some of his ideas but have big reservations about him as well. He seems to be getting lots of support from the younger crowd that wanted to 'clean house' at city hall. Tarik Sayeed is another. Would be nice to have some fresh/new energy on council but I'm not yet convinced of their abilities. With only a few short days until we need to cast our votes - it seems more difficult than usual to sort through the potentials for council. Thoughts?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

livewire wrote:So, if you own several businesses in town, have spent your time living in this city and volunteering thousands of hours with chamber, tourism, hockey etc...and you have 2 mayoral candidates - one of which has approached you to say 'hey, what are your thoughts' and another that hasn't bothered, would that influence your vote?

Hasn't bothered or just hasn't met you yet? Big difference. If you are speaking for yourself and really have concerns about the upcoming election, I think reaching out to the candidate would have been a good idea. From what you have said though it seems you are giving yourself an awful lot of self importance if your vote is going to be influenced because one candidate hasn't contacted you. Being as successful as you say you are I would hope you are beyond that.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

glassmaster wrote:I'm wondering what everyone is thinking about the council candidates ~ particularly the new/younger candidates. I have tried to follow the information through forums and media questions etc. Ryan Foster is a young family man (and organic farmer). I like some of his ideas but have big reservations about him as well. He seems to be getting lots of support from the younger crowd that wanted to 'clean house' at city hall. Tarik Sayeed is another. Would be nice to have some fresh/new energy on council but I'm not yet convinced of their abilities. With only a few short days until we need to cast our votes - it seems more difficult than usual to sort through the potentials for council. Thoughts?

Glassmaster I think we are going to see many new faces on council - many new younger faces and the only way to be sure they have the abilities is to vote them in. There have been many councillors past and present who really didn't shine in the ability department until they got some council experience. Let's not be quick to judge. I also think though that when these younger folks get in and if John Vass becomes mayor their could be some real head banging (oops) I mean head shaking as John has proven his dislike for the younger members on council. Remember the Hopkin vs Vass classic?
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I totally agree that a new council member can 'learn on the job'. I guess I am just having trouble figuring out their political objectives. Ryan Foster seems pretty straight forward in his vision of edible forests and sustainability - kind of a modern day hippy. Sounds great ... but is there more to him? Interestingly (and adding to the confusion), from what I have seen, John V. is aligning himself with the old head bangers and their choices for council. Is John V. just telling everyone what he thinks they want to hear ... or is he 'just possibly' the kind of leader that will listen to all sectors of the community? Watching the Mayoral candidates interact with their potential new council is mind boggling to say the least.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Southy, I guess it wasn't clear in my post. We know both candidates personally, professionally, and through volunteer work. I should also ad that yes we have contacted each of them, some time ago and only 1 has responded and made an effort. It's not about 'self important' at all, just a scenario and a question.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

glassmaster wrote: Ryan Foster seems pretty straight forward in his vision of edible forests and sustainability - kind of a modern day hippy. Sounds great ... but is there more to him?

Probably lots more along the same lines. Personally I don't see management material here and that is what we are electing here.....seven managers of the City. This guy would partner well with Peter Waterman in an Amish community somewhere.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Probably lots more along the same lines. Personally I don't see management material here and that is what we are electing here.....seven managers of the City. This guy would partner well with Peter Waterman in an Amish community somewhere.[/quote]

Thanks twobits ... pretty much what I thought as well. Would also like to hear your opinion on Tarik Sayeed. To me, he seems more open minded (than Ryan Foster) and could be a reasonable option for someone young, with fresh ideas. It is tough to get a read on his political leanings though - he and Ryan Foster were both endorsed by the Labour Council - but that isn't always an indication of leanings. Could just be that he answered their questions in a way that the Labour Council would want to hear.
mug48

Post by mug48 »

I'm voting for John. His business ethics prove he is the better man for the job. He is always buying property and starting businesses. Andrew on the other hand seems to be content running his one business and renting the building he is in. This city needs more initiative than that.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

mug48 wrote:I'm voting for John. His business ethics prove he is the better man for the job. He is always buying property and starting businesses. Andrew on the other hand seems to be content running his one business and renting the building he is in. This city needs more initiative than that.

Wow - well ahhh - good luck with that decision. Now what about for council?
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

Looking for additional insight on the crowd begging for your vote? The nomination
papers are here to help you figure out "Who is connected to Who":
http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/city/elections.html

Wondering about the recent increase in signs for Picton, I found it interesting to learn
about his connection to a Ms.Taylor who in turn is affiliated with NAC Constructors (at the airport).
Another interesting one is Campbell Watt: nominated by David Prystay and Mike Pearce. Also interesting
to read that Andre Martin was nominated by Paul Varga (Associate Lawyer at Pearce Taylor Schneiderat).

What a small world we live in...
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Didn't Varga once work with Martin?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Yes, they worked together at the Herald. Really don't think Martin will get elected.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”