Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Temporary forum for civic elections
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by TreeGuy »

occasional thoughts wrote:If the new guy doesn't want to divulge anything important, I'm going for non-partisan Doug. I haven't seen answers to what I want to know about him (challenger). And it is no consolation to me that the mayor is one vote if he is behind-the-scenes allied with the rest of or the majority of council. This challenger hasn't come clean to my satisfaction. He could, nothing stopping him. That people are so adamant for an unknown quantity says there is a behind-the-scenes thing going on. No thanks so far.

Have you contacted the "challenger" and asked him the questions you are wanting answers to? He is very accessible.

You could, nothing stopping you.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

It is my thought that the challenger ought to have at least one term as a councilor before even considering running for Mayor. In the very least, he would have some experience. Can't see anyone being effective with out some actual experience prior to sitting at the head of the table.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

This is interesting. Read it or watch the video.

https://hbr.org/2012/10/great-leaders-dont-need-experience/ar/
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

waterwings wrote:It is my thought that the challenger ought to have at least one term as a councilor before even considering running for Mayor. In the very least, he would have some experience. Can't see anyone being effective with out some actual experience prior to sitting at the head of the table.

True, and it would also give the constituents an indication of his character and the direction he leans. At his young age, I really have to wonder what the rush is.
I birn quil I se
rosalind neis

Post by rosalind neis »

On this important day -

I find it interesting that in this "Why re-elect Doug" topic there is more discussion about Stephen Johnston here that him.

I would like to know why this current council is increasing water rates by 20% when they are also so proud of the new equipment they (we) bought to detect up to 20% of water that is being lost to leaking pipes or other issues. Seems to me that the council lead by Mr. Findlater is going to save the missing 20% of our water and also charge us all 20% more for it. Is that the sign of a good leader?

Old men have dreams....young men have vision. I believe it is time for some real vision, West Kelowna council has been a sleep to long under Mr.Findlater's rule.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Findlater does not have the authority to make decisions all by himself. Why don't you ask the whole of DWK Council for an explanation because that and those are the people who make the decisions. Why don't you know that Ms. Neis? And that is why anyone who becomes Mayor needs to sit for at least a term on council.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

rosalind neis wrote:On this important day - I find it interesting that in this "Why re-elect Doug" topic there is more discussion about Stephen Johnston here that him.

We need some middle ground in this election; someone that has experience, vision and is known to be a performer. It seems to have come down to just the incumbent and the relatively unknown newcomer.
I birn quil I se
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Randall T wrote:We need some middle ground in this election; someone that has experience, vision and is known to be a performer. It seems to have come down to just the incumbent and the relatively unknown newcomer.

So are you saying that you would rather vote for "some with experience" even though they can't seem to meet their stated objectives? Wow, good thing private industry doesn't operate that way. We would have no Apple, no Microsoft, or closer to home no Club Penguin. You see the world is changing and unless we open our minds to accept that the way we have done things in the past is not always the best way we will be stuck in the same old rut.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

guxcon wrote:So are you saying that you would rather vote for "some with experience" even though they can't seem to meet their stated objectives? Wow, good thing private industry doesn't operate that way. We would have no Apple, no Microsoft, or closer to home no Club Penguin. You see the world is changing and unless we open our minds to accept that the way we have done things in the past is not always the best way we will be stuck in the same old rut.

West Kelowna is not a tech company and the comparison is plain silly. The Municipality is not a publically traded company selling shares to investors for the latest retail electronic gadgetry. It's using a limited amount of funds produced from taxes and available grants and funding to maintain and improve a relatively new "city".

I will assume you are referring to Stephen Johnston as the alternate. I believe I previously stated that I would rather have seen Johnston run for council so many of us, who know very little of him, could see firsthand what kind of person he is, what's on his agenda, and how he accomplishes his goals. I really don't think he would have a problem getting voted to council as he would bring the views and energy of a younger generation into local politics. However, as I previously stated, at such a young age I fail to see what the rush is to jump into the mayoral race. When West Kelowna was incorporated we had some newcomers to municipal politics and pretty much had no choice at that time. Some of those will undoubtedly serve again as they now have experience in the operations of the municipality, and importantly have gained respect for their diligence and hard work. We got to know them, watched them work and were able to see how they responded to different issues and challenges. Some feel our mayor has failed and not done a proper job. I haven't agreed on everything he has done or proposed, but I'm overall quite happy with the progress we've made over the past few years.

So, in answer to your question: Yes, I would rather vote for experience at this time.
I birn quil I se
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Randall T has "offended" me (loosely speaking only) on another thread, but I'm afraid I'm with him here on Mayor Doug. And after I was reminded somewhere along the line about Findlater vs. council on that fraud issue involving the forged signature by the developer on Lakeview Cove, and the position he took vs. council which backed the fraudster!! I was reminded why I prefer him AT THIS TIME and relative to the current alternatives. At this time, we need a new council for the mayor to lead rather more than a new mayor to kow-tow to the current council. I've unplugged my nose and I'll be voting Findlater on Sat. I believe we're sadly lacking in info on Mr. Johnston but, relative to the fact that he is apparently a developer, what has he said about the fraudulent letter by the developer issue? Anything?

One thing that is scary, whether it is electing a mayor or councillors, is that they're in for 4 years thanks to our provincial masters without any say-so or apparent clamour from the populace, AND without any recall or initiative legislation on the books. I predict lots of byelections.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

I respect others opinions- We all have a right to think what we like.
Saying what we think is a tad more risky in a world where even showing an "angry face" can result in an accusation of assault!!!

Anyway - back on track - Another four years of Doug Findlater is not what I hope for West Kelowna. I still resent the amount of money being planned for the "City Hall" just off the couplet.

I do not think it is a priority at all. So much time and effort being wasted on this project when we have so much else that NEEDS to be done, much sooner, than building a monumental city hall. But this is a perfect example of Findlaters blinkered vision!
If he wants it done, he is determined not to back down.

The most damning thing, in my mind, is that we have a municipal election and are not using the opportunity to find out IF the people echo the desire for a Municipal Hall or if they oppose the premature project! ( I wonder if you can guess how I would vote if given the opportunity) It would be a cost effective way to find out the voters feelings on the matter. But then we might say "No" and we can't have that....can we??

Sorry Doug.....You will not have my vote
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

So will you be posting that they should of built in 2014/15 when costs were lower than say, 2025?

I'm not saying now is or is not the time to build but WK does need an identity and perhaps a civic center will help. Just a thought.

I think Neis and Kristoff could be good additions to council headed by Doug. Think perhaps the Steve should of went for councilor first. Just a few more thoughts.

The comment earlier about how the developer/builder that lied and basically got away scott free is bang on. My understanding (lot of heresy) is they are playing loosey goosey with the rules up at Talus Ridge. Need to tighten the reins with developers/builders. Double edged sword that though isn't it when the district is competing with WFN to attract development.
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Steve-O wrote:
The comment earlier about how the developer/builder that lied and basically got away scott free is bang on. My understanding (lot of heresy) is they are playing loosey goosey with the rules up at Talus Ridge. Need to tighten the reins with developers/builders. Double edged sword that though isn't it when the district is competing with WFN to attract development.

Saying all developers are bad apples is like saying all mayors are crack addicts...... Try investing your hard earned $$$ in this community on a project, I guarantee after a few years of navigating the red tape your attitude will be different.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Steve-O wrote:So will you be posting that they should of built in 2014/15 when costs were lower than say, 2025?

I'm not saying now is or is not the time to build but WK does need an identity and perhaps a civic center will help. Just a thought.

I think Neis and Kristoff could be good additions to council headed by Doug. Think perhaps the Steve should of went for councilor first. Just a few more thoughts.

No I would not post that comment in 2025!

We need to step back and look clearly at this City Hall Idea Project (CHIP).
Location, location, Location is a phrase I hear all the time. The location of CHIP is not the best.
The couplet is too close.
Traffic streams up and down the highways with increasing backups, especially from Kelowna.
The immediate area has an abandoned shopping mall and gas station.
The new bus depot dumps pedestrians in between the two main highways half a block away
In relation to the whole municipality, CHIP would be totally off centre.
Kelowna City Hall would be closer to many more West Kelowna residents than their own city hall would be.
There is a balance in all things to be considered.
But as I said before....There is no more government transition money for us. We are on our own with necessities to pay for.

Doug & Co should have put the question to the people. We are the ones who pay the taxes to foot the bills.
If the people said 'yes' to the CHIP, fine...go for it. But there will be no vote because Findlater does not want the risk that his dream would be turned down.

I vote for change - it's a risk...but not that bad a one ,if the alternative is another four years of Findlater.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

So, it boils down to a vote for Findlater is a vote FOR a city hall, too?
But, what if we voted someone else into the mayor's chair? Would that mean the new incumbent would influence council to put it on hold? Which is what should be done, of course,but we have no way of knowing.
Mary Mandarino reminded us that the people's choice for a civic centre CHIP was very low on their list of priorities, and it is apparent that a considerable segment of the voting (and thinking) public still shares that opinion. Now, as it stands, the Findlater Memorial Hall is an example of democracy at work within DWK.
It might be important to all living in DWK to give Mary another thought before we vote, not only for her stance on the CHIP but also in consideration of her experience in service to the public in our neighbourhood?
It would be such a relief in the minds of many to see "the monument" CHIP become Findlater's Achilles Heel and lose him the opportunity to qualify for the Ten Year Gold Watch that he covets. ( He also covets the transition for DKW to become a city). It appears that these objectives are the only significant foresights he has publicly aired?
And of course of late, via this thread, we now hear of a major change to Boucherie Road access/egress that has been kept secret from us. Do the people still have an opportunity via A TOWN HALL MEETING to get his answer that might dispel the rumour?

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”