Tithes - why does it only works in rich countries?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Tithes - why does it only works in rich countries?

Post by Thinktank »

Everyone knows if you give tithes to a church, you'll get ten times more back, in return.

But how come people in poor African countries don't get the same good deal from God as we get in Canada?

Will these people get money 'running over' if they give tithes?

Will these people get money 'running over' if they give tithes?

^ Joyce Meyer's house. She says she got rich because she gave tithes.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Tithes Question - How come it only works in rich countri

Post by Glacier »

Thinktank wrote:Image

Prosperity preachers such as yourself always assume that every spiritual blessing mentioned in the Bible is a materialist blessing. Nothing could be further from the truth when you actually read those verses in context.

“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

That's not worth very much money to anyone. ^^^

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "

Forgot one.

Blessed are the unwitty ones,
for they don't know any better.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Jewish system required tithes, Christian system is voluntary (supposed to be and with no paid clergy). And it is a shame that these disgusting churches in very poor countries tithe the poor, while they live in luxury from that money.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

hmmmm.... you are astute, but how clear is your vision :) "churches", like the church of the cpc, or the church of the bcliberals. are those the 'disgusting churches' you see? i thought 'canada' was a rich country though.

excellent point thinktank.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote:...Christian system is voluntary ....

but do the JWs also encourage people to give money ( for $1 billion worth of real estate)
by quoting the bible?

For if you give, you will get! Your gift will return to you in full and overflowing measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use to give -- large or small -- will be used to measure what is given back to you." - Luke 6:38

and this is another one:
"Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on." Luke 21:1-4

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I always wondered how the JWs get their money.

Rather, they ( Watchtower) seek to convey the impression that their income comes strictly through free will contributions, with a few estates being denoted as well. No mention is made of the MAJOR source of their income, which is the distribution of books and magazines. .....These same Witnesses take their books and magazines out to the public, proclaiming that they represent "God's organization" and are financed strictly by contribution, and proceed to point out the wrongs of the churches in their passing of a collection plate! Such hypocrisy goes unnoticed by the Witness himself, for he is ignorant of the Society's methods.
To release just one new book at a yearly District Assembly brings automatic sales of at least five million books. At a NET profit rate of over 50% per book, one can grasp the immediate benefit. (Having been involved in figuring the costs of their books and magazines while working in the printing offices in New York, I am aware of their expenses and overhead in this area). With a magazine circulation of well over eleven million per week and approximately 16 cents profit per magazine, their income from magazines alone would exceed $1,780,000 per week. Mind you, theirs is a guaranteed market, regardless of how good the magazines are.

http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/religion ... ance.shtml

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Just be glad you're not a Mormon.....

Mormonism And Tithing
Saturday, Apr 8, 2006, at 08:06 AM
Original Author(s): Infymus
Topic: TITHING - SECTION 1 -Link To MC Article- ↑

In Mormonism, tithing is not optional - it is mandatory for salvation. Any Mormon that chooses not to pay tithing will be denied access to the Mormon Temple. Mormons who pay a full 10 percent gross tithing are given a "Temple Recommend" - a barcoded membership card. Without access to the Mormon Temple a Mormon cannot perform the Mormon Temple Ceremonies that are essential to salvation. A Mormon who does not perform these ceremonies will forever be relegated to the lowest of the three Mormon heavens known to Mormons as the Terrestrial Kingdom. In addition to this any Mormon that does not hold a temple recommend will be unable to enter the temple in any way - meaning they will be denied access to weddings, ordinances, etc.

In Mormonism any Mormon that does not pay tithing will not be allowed to hold any "Callings". Callings are positions in the Mormon Church such as Primary Teacher, Teacher, Scout Master, Counselor, Bishop, Stake President, etc, etc. In addition to this, Mormons who do not hold a "Temple Recommend" are not even allowed to bless their own children - nor participate in any other blessings.

Tithing always comes first in Mormonism - it is the top commandment. All blessings, privileges and callings in the Mormon Church are centered on tithing. Without paying a full tithe - 10% gross - a Mormon member will not be considered a "member in good standing". Mormons are counseled that unless a full tithe is paid - blessings from God are withheld.

Mormons that are not full tithe payers are counseled to pay "back tithing" and are issued temple recommends immediately upon payment. Many Mormons pay back tithing in order to attend temple weddings - and many take out lines of credit to pay the large sums due.

Mormons are counseled to pay tithing on all forms of income - including wages, social security, trust funds and/or annuities, unemployment insurance, child support - or any other form of income.

Mormons are counseled that tithing comes before all other needs. In Mormon General Conference April 2005, Mormon General Authority Lynn G. Robbins stated:
"If a destitute family is faced with the decision of paying their tithing or eating, they should pay their tithing."
Lynn G. Robbins also stated:
No bishop, no missionary should ever hesitate or lack the faith to teach the law of tithing to the poor. The sentiment of "They can't afford to" needs to be replaced with "They can't afford not to."
Mormons are taught that Jesus Christ will appear in what is referred to as "The Second Coming" - and any Mormon that has not paid a full tithe will be burned:
"Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming."
See Mormon Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:23-25.

Every year in December Mormons are summoned to the Bishop's office where a review of all of the tithing paid by the Member is examined. Mormons who do not identify themselves as full tithe payers have their temple recommends revoked - unless back tithing is paid.

Utah has the highest rate of bankruptcies in the United States. Mormon Republican Orrin Hatch passed legislation that allowed Mormons to pay a full tithe even while they were in bankruptcy court - see S. 4044.

In Mormonism tithing is not optional or a "personal choice" - tithing is mandatory.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Farmmaa wrote:Without paying a full tithe - 10% gross - a Mormon member will not be considered a "member in good standing".

^ That's gross.

Even paying 10% of the net profit is not so good.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here's good way of dividing what you keep & what God gets:

Take your pay cheque throw it up into the air, what goes up is God and drops to the ground is yours.

Remember do not do this on a windy or rainy day (or snowy).

lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Paying god any amount is ridiculous. Seriously, the biblical god needs money in order to bless you and your family ?
It's astounding really, that people can be so profoundly brainwashed.

Statements from real live Mormons, from their own web site :

Gordon B. Hinckley, prior President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said: “Our major source of revenue is the ancient law of the tithe. Our people are expected to pay 10 percent of their income to move forward the work of the Church. The remarkable and wonderful thing is that they do it. Tithing is not so much a matter of dollars as it is a matter of faith. It becomes a privilege and an opportunity, not a burden. Our people believe in the word of God as set forth in the book of Malachi, that the Lord will open the windows of heaven and pour down blessings that there will not be room enough to receive them (Malachi 3:8-10). Moving and touching is the testimony of Latter-day Saints throughout the world concerning this the Lord’s law for the financing of His work.”

When we give ten percent of our income we call it tithing. The church uses tithing to help the church grow, such as the building of meeting houses and temples. The reason to why is because God commands us to. But if you think about it, God created the world we live in and everything in it, including us. There is no way that we could possibly repay him. We are forever indebted to him and all he asks of us is ten percent of our income to help support the church. When you think of it that way, he asks for almost nothing. Ten percent may seem like a lot, but that is the glass is empty side of it. We get to keep ninety percent of it. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I like to remember that the Lord isn't asking for 10% but He is giving us 90% and then blessings on top. Giving 10% helps us remember just where all that we have comes from. It helps us develop faith that the Lord will provide for our every need. He wants to bless us but we will be spoilt children if those blessings were unconditional. We pay our tithing and He opens the windows of heaven to bless us. I have had so many blessings from paying tithing that I feel I can't afford not to tithe. He gives us no commandment except it be for our good. The Lord does not need our tithing but we need the blessings. I know all the money that is paid in tithing is treated as sacred and used to benefit all of God's children. Temple building is a brilliant example of how the money is used plus, other church buildings, lesson material, activities and soooooo much more. We always come off the winners and are always debt to our Lord.

Everything we have, our lives, the earth and everything in it, have been given freely to us by a loving Father in Heaven. He asks only a small portion in return to help build his kingdom on the earth. When my husband and I were first married, we decided to make paying a 10% tithe a top financial priority, and it has been a great blessing to us through the years. In Malachi, chapter 3 verse 10 it states, "Bring yea ll the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you thei windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." This has certainly been the case with us. I realize that 10% of one's income can seem like a large sacrifice. However, when the law of the tithe is kept, it serves as a portal through which great blessings (both tangible and intangible) can flow. The Lord always finds a way to bless those who do what He asks them to do.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Hmmm wrote: And it is a shame that these disgusting churches in very poor countries tithe the poor, while they live in luxury from that money.

So some churches tell people they must give tithes.

Other churches convince people to give donations.

JWs give donations equal to $1 billion each year. and all they get in return is a magazine, and a lot of valuable
real estate used to house people who write the magazine. Somehow I think that $billion dollars could be spent more efficiently. All I do with the Awake and watchtower magazines is throw them in the garbage after looking through it for five minutes. $1 billion down the drain.

The mammoth operation is funded by donations, mainly from Witnesses leaving anonymous contributions in boxes titled “Worldwide Work” at the back of Kingdom Halls. The money is funneled to the U.S. world headquarters to fund the publishing empire, as well as disaster relief. Just how much moolah makes that journey is unknown — as a religious organization, the Tract Society does not have to file an annual return with the IRS — but in 2001, Newsday listed the Tract Society as one of New York City’s 40 richest corporations, with revenues of $951 million. Last year, a report stated that the Society had pulled in $125 million for the fiscal year ending in August.

http://archives.jrn.columbia.edu/2010/n ... index.html

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Tithes - why does it only works in rich countries?

Post by Farmmaa »

Honestly, if people are stupid enough and gullible enough to buy in to the scam that in order to be able to get a prime spot in heaven they have to pay god, then it's difficult to feel sorry for them.
The god and Jesus of the bible they worship weren't about money, they're supposed to be all about love and acceptance...no ?
Any deity who forces their worshippers to pay him in cash is rather a farce - seriously.
Any believer who can't see that they're being scammed into giving up their hard earned salaries to line the pockets of the richest organizations in the world are nothing but fools.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Tithes - why does it only works in rich countries?

Post by I Think »

The only reason I ever give anything to anyone,
is so that I will get something from them.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”