Who's running for Mayor? How about who ISN'T?

Temporary forum for civic elections
knowledgeisking

Who's running for Mayor? How about who ISN'T?

Post by knowledgeisking »

Pretty strong opinions on these forums. Some strong support and some haters in all categories. Some people have done their research in posting on why they disagree or disagree with a candidate.

We have three fringe candidates (Rowe, Hardy and SMedley)...okay there are actually 5 but the other two I've never seen. These are nice enough guys perhaps but lets be honest they have no platforms of any real substance and really sound a bit "out there" when they speak.

We have Mark Thompson whose experience and platform really would indicate he is the most qualified. But to win in politics you have to resonate with voters and for whatever reason this guy just isn't clicking with the public. He doesn't seem all that "like-able" although that may just be a poor presentation on his part.

So we are left with Basran and Shephard.

By all indication Sharon is going to lose and in a big way. I'm basing this opinion on the very wide range of people I talk to and the signage I see. Maybe I'm going to be surprised, but I doubt it.

Sharon takes too much criticism in my opinion. But at the end of the day she didn't have the support of her own council when she was Mayor. Even the people who shared her political leanings felt she was too indecisive and couldn't "rally the troops" at the council table.

She she isn't the answer.

Basran is going to win. Unqualified as he is, he has the votes and the support of previous council. If you didn't like the previous council that will mean nothing to you of course.

In 4 years people are either going to be going "Wow! Colin is a leader and shows that the average guy can lead a city"

Or not...
I'm smarter than you, I'm better looking than you and I probably have way more friends than you. I'm definintely taller than you. Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable.
KelownaResid

Re: Who is running for Mayor? How about who ISN'T running?

Post by KelownaResid »

Take a look at the 2011 election results

http://www.kelowna.ca/iElections/script ... on2011.htm

Sharon Shepherd lost by about 400 votes. I think I read somewhere that Gray spent about $57,000 in that campaign, about double what Shepherd spent. It will be interesting to compare the amount spent and the number of votes received by Colin and Shepherd after the 2014 election results. I don't think Sharon did too bad in the last election

Colin on the other hand did phenomenal in the 2011 election campaign. I think the company he hired Centro Consulting had a large part in his success
http://www.centroconsultinginc.com/case ... councilor/

Tommorrow we will find out if Colin will be hired as CEO of Kelowna. If Colin becomes CEO it will be truly remarkable considering his past experience and accomplishments
knowledgeisking

KelownaResid wrote:Take a look at the 2011 election results

http://www.kelowna.ca/iElections/script ... on2011.htm

Sharon Shepherd lost by about 400 votes. I think I read somewhere that Gray spent about $57,000 in that campaign, about double what Shepherd spent. It will be interesting to compare the amount spent and the number of votes received by Colin and Shepherd after the 2014 election results. I don't think Sharon did too bad in the last election

Colin on the other hand did phenomenal in the 2011 election campaign. I think the company he hired Centro Consulting had a large part in his success
http://www.centroconsultinginc.com/case ... councilor/

Tommorrow we will find out if Colin will be hired as CEO of Kelowna. If Colin becomes CEO it will be truly remarkable considering his past experience and accomplishments

I think everyone knew the last election would be close based on the vibe on the street. I'm not seeing that this time
I'm smarter than you, I'm better looking than you and I probably have way more friends than you. I'm definintely taller than you. Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

Yes, tomorrow will be THE DAY!!
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

knowledgeisking wrote:Pretty strong opinions on these forums. Some strong support and some haters in all categories. Some people have done their research in posting on why they disagree or disagree with a candidate.

We have three fringe candidates (Rowe, Hardy and SMedley)...okay there are actually 5 but the other two I've never seen. These are nice enough guys perhaps but lets be honest they have no platforms of any real substance and really sound a bit "out there" when they speak.

We have Mark Thompson whose experience and platform really would indicate he is the most qualified. But to win in politics you have to resonate with voters and for whatever reason this guy just isn't clicking with the public. He doesn't seem all that "like-able" although that may just be a poor presentation on his part.

So we are left with Basran and Shephard.

By all indication Sharon is going to lose and in a big way. I'm basing this opinion on the very wide range of people I talk to and the signage I see. Maybe I'm going to be surprised, but I doubt it.

Sharon takes too much criticism in my opinion. But at the end of the day she didn't have the support of her own council when she was Mayor. Even the people who shared her political leanings felt she was too indecisive and couldn't "rally the troops" at the council table.

She she isn't the answer.

Basran is going to win. Unqualified as he is, he has the votes and the support of previous council. If you didn't like the previous council that will mean nothing to you of course.

In 4 years people are either going to be going "Wow! Colin is a leader and shows that the average guy can lead a city"

Or not...

You are in tune with the vibe on the street are you? Well perhaps there are others too, and maybe appearances can be deceiving. I believe the voter turnout is up to make sure the city isn't bought for Basran. I think we all learnt last election that a collusion among business leaders is not how to elect a council. The problem is Basran is not even the average guy. The average guy finishes college, especially is one's parents pay the dime. The average guy doesn't have to read from a script or pass on questions for which there is no script. The average person is not so gullible as to believe all the ads, signs, and hoopla surrounding Basran.

One can spin the rhetoric any way one chooses, but in the end the truth will surface and most people who are average, are smart enough to know Basran doesn't even rise to average based on his past. Shepherd, well above.
Last edited by Mtn Biker on Nov 14th, 2014, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

I think everyone knew the last election would be close based on the vibe on the street. I'm not seeing that this time

So why don't you turn your thread into a poll? The last one posted from early October had Shepherd ahead by 53% and Basran at 29%. It did not even have Thompson listed as a candidate and he is definitely the third person in the race. Obviously it is only a Castanet poll, but I can't imagine that Shepherd has lost any support to Basran. More likely Basran has lost support to Thompson.
knowledgeisking

You are in tune with the vibe on the street are you? Well perhaps there are others too, and maybe appearances can be deceiving. I believe the voter turnout is up to make sure the city isn't bought for Basran. I think learned last election that a collusion among business leaders is not how to elect a council. The problem is Basran is not even the average guy. The average guy finishes college, especially is one's parents pay the dime. The average person doesn't have to read from a script or pass on questions for which there is no script. The average person is not so gullible as to believe all the ads, signs, and hoopla surrounding Basran.

In Shepherd's case the story you tell is tainted. Her first council expected the mayor to be Wally again, so Shepherd has the best of the "good ol' boys" you are ever gona see. Yet she got things done. Her next council faced a global recession and yet the city moved forward.

One can spin the rhetoric any way one chooses, but in the end the truth will surface and most people who are average, are smart enough to know Basran doesn't even rise to average based on his past. Shepherd, well above.[/quote]

Why the anger? I'm not particularily a Basran or Shephard guy. I'm just giving my opinion on what I think is going to happen based on being out and about at political events (including Rutland where you wouldn't think Basran would have as much support.

Seriously this whole "buying" an election is getting tiring. "Rhetoric" was the word you used wasn't it?

The business community isn't evil any more than the middle income or poor are. The business community has opinions are are just as welcome to voice them as supporters of someone like Charlie Hodge are.

I'm willing to bet that some of the people who you say "buy" an election do some pretty good things for the less fortunate.

You sound bitter, that's not good for your soul.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

3 B's wrote:Yes, tomorrow will be THE DAY!!

I'm so excited - finally this will be said and done! Except for the unhappy who's rep did not get in. I'm not invested enough to care either way, though I have finally decided for whom I am voting.
I haven't failed until I quit.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

None of the current council for me.
Shepherd.
Mossman, Kendall, Hodge, Itani
Domoverech, Mossman, Paggliocinni
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

George+ wrote:None of the current council for me.
Shepherd.
Mossman, Kendall, Hodge, Itani
Domoverech, Mossman, Paggliocinni

What a load of bums! Good thing you don't live in the city to vote for any of them.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”