Penticton Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
twobits
Guru

Re: Penticton Election

Post by twobits »

glassmaster wrote:

Thanks twobits ... pretty much what I thought as well. Would also like to hear your opinion on Tarik Sayeed. To me, he seems more open minded (than Ryan Foster) and could be a reasonable option for someone young, with fresh ideas. It is tough to get a read on his political leanings though - he and Ryan Foster were both endorsed by the Labour Council - but that isn't always an indication of leanings. Could just be that he answered their questions in a way that the Labour Council would want to hear.

I had initially thought that Tarik might be a choice. His constant soundbites on technology became tiresome. No matter what question he answered on various subjects, it was virtually the same answer every time with the subject, verb, and predicate just in a different order. IMO, no depth here.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

And now we're getting ROBOCALLS from Konanz like in 2011...
Better the Devil that you know - she might have gotten my vote, rather
than a bunch of unknowns Newbies - but shows a definite lack of taste.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

3+141592 wrote:Better the Devil that you know - she might have gotten my vote, rather

You don't need to check off 6 names. Find the ones you like and vote for them rather than the devil you know. As of today I will only be putting a check mark next to 4.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

3+141592 wrote:And now we're getting ROBOCALLS from Konanz like in 2011...
Better the Devil that you know - she might have gotten my vote, rather

I got the same robocall this morning. Konanz is OFF my list now for sure. Can't take personal time to phone people, then I can't be bothered to vote for you.
Ekalahaks

Post by Ekalahaks »

mug48 wrote:I'm voting for John. His business ethics prove he is the better man for the job. He is always buying property and starting businesses. Andrew on the other hand seems to be content running his one business and renting the building he is in. This city needs more initiative than that.

If you are gauging your vote merely on the amount of businesses and buildings one candidate has over the other, I think that is a dangerous metric to use to solely define what someone's initiative as mayor will be. For me, the integrity of the position of mayor comes with a wide spectrum of abilities.

The ability to buy property and start businesses doesn't undeniably represent "good business ethics". So you are saying because Andrew leases a building and focusses on different business interests, he has poor business ethics? Wow, and here I thought most of Penticton's electorate was weighing their vote on meaningful criteria...
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

livewire wrote:You don't need to check off 6 names. Find the ones you like and vote for them rather than the devil you know. As of today I will only be putting a check mark next to 4.

Thanks - I'm aware of this however, for 2014 I consider choosing "second best" candidates in
a bid to prevent certain individuals, that I consider have ulterior motives (or single-agendas),
from being elected. At the risk of being flamed, this is more or less how I sort them:

New - Might take a chance on
Incumbent - The Devil that you know
Clueless - Well intentioned but no homework done
"Snake in the grass" - AVOID

Humbly submitted - No further details required nor provided - NOMEX suit on.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

And now we're getting ROBOCALLS from Konanz like in 2011...

You're serious - that was a robocall?

How could you tell?

I mean she didn't respond to anything I said to her on the phone, didn't answer any of my questions and didn't seem to be considering any of my concerns... - I hung up the phone figuring I'd just had a "true to form" interaction with her.

Hmm... robocall, you say - who knew?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Drip_Torch wrote:
You're serious - that was a robocall?

How could you tell?

I mean she didn't respond to anything I said to her on the phone, didn't answer any of my questions and didn't seem to be considering any of my concerns... - I hung up the phone figuring I'd just had a "true to form" interaction with her.

Hmm... robocall, you say - who knew?

Strong fiscal conservative gets the seniors vote. Supporter of Boonstock from day one doesn't alienate her from the younger crowd. Easily re elected as all incumbent councillors will be.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

3+141592 wrote:Thanks - I'm aware of this however, for 2014 I consider choosing "second best" candidates in
a bid to prevent certain individuals, that I consider have ulterior motives (or single-agendas),
from being elected. At the risk of being flamed, this is more or less how I sort them:

New - Might take a chance on
Incumbent - The Devil that you know
Clueless - Well intentioned but no homework done
"Snake in the grass" - AVOID

Humbly submitted - No further details required nor provided - NOMEX suit on.

Who is going to flame you for doing what we all do? I would add one more category however. It would be "How did you manage to find people that were not relatives to actually sign your nomination paper?"

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
Strong fiscal conservative gets the seniors vote. Supporter of Boonstock from day one doesn't alienate her from the younger crowd. Easily re elected as all incumbent councillors will be.

I agree re the seniors vote (Vass will win it hands down). I don't know much about Boonstock, nor do I care. I disagree completely though on your last comment re "all incumbent councillors being easily re elected". I won't be voting for any of them. They have all been a part of the mess in the past few years. IF we had a choice for a new mayor with no recent past history, I would vote for them but we don't (and sorry, I dont vote for criminals and our third choice). It comes down to the lesser of two E_vils. ETA: even Andrew J. believes that there will be SEVERAL new faces on council (this is the ONLY thing that I agree with him on).
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... l?mode=jqm
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Easily re elected as all incumbent councillors will be.

Hockey Dorm, PHA, Slump, Section 57 against Cherry Lane Towers, Tax bill oppsy's, Pool tiles that don't meet the code, Building code exemptions that don't have an authority having jurisdiction signing off on them, poor issues communications, Martin Street, Main Street and infrastructure needs that are being ignored in favour of legacy projects.

Seriously, four more years of this and we should change the city's name to "Whimticton".

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying it won't be with my vote.

I view the role of Council a little differently than most people. I'm not looking for a council that will manage the city, I'm looking for a council that will hold those managers, that we have, accountable, while sharing the communities vision with them. I'm not looking for a council that will represent city management, I'm looking for councillors that will represent the community to city management. I'm looking for councillors that understand we have a legal framework contained in the Community Charter Act and legislation in the Local Government Act that we should follow. Councillors that understand their role in council is to maintain the "authority having jurisdiction" through their decisions and with respect to those that came before them.

You see, I've worked on projects that have burned through 100's of millions in months - and, for the most part, they've been pretty damn successful. The secret to that success, in my opinion, isn't found solely in the business management of the day to day operations, in as much as it is found in some of the intangible benefits that come from a truly collaborative effort that embraces (instead of suppresses) diversity.

Personally, I found the article in the herald on the Cherry Lane Towers to be the most insightful glimpse at the various prospectives' approaches to issues going forward.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... mode=story

(PS: For the record it's 2014 and we no longer measure CO (nope, it's not CO2) in the "almost nauseated building inspector" scale. If that statement has even a degree of truth to it and we don't know exactly how many PPM are lingering in those enclosures - someone has truly earned some walking papers.)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

twobits wrote:Easily re elected as all incumbent councillors will be.

Totally disagree. Not sure if I've missed something or what but Judy Sentes to me has been non-existent in the election campaign. Very quiet indeed. Either over confidence or something. Katie, well she might and I say might garner enough older demo's due to her Boonstock moment, but iffy at best. Konanz - pretty, comes across well, stays on the fence to not offend - but that fence sitting might just cost her. And the big one - they all have been part of our wonderful "they did what legacy". One more sleep Twobits - we'll see.
scorpion1024
Fledgling

Post by scorpion1024 »

This is my prediction (in order of votes). Although it is not necessarily how I voted. I believe Max Picton will top the charts. Should be interesting to see it play out at 8:15pm tonight!

Mayor:
Andrew Jakabeit

Council:
Max Picton
Helena Konanz
Campbell Watt
Judy Sentes
Lynn Kelsey or Andre Martin
Ryan Foster

Trustees:
Bill Bidlake
Bruce Johnson
Barb Sheppard
Keith MacInytre
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
NormCheers

Post by NormCheers »

Hi all, interesting predictions from all. I'm really afraid that Scorpian is probably right about "Player" Picton getting in even though he has doesn't know his home address, has no REAL business successes and can't even UNITE his own tenants at Barefoot let alone a whole city. Because he is great at "looking" successful and bright with obvious planted questions and rehearsed answers at the forum. ( couldn't resist-LOL)

Before I vote later today I was hoping that someone here could answer some lingering questions I have.
1.) Why is Tarik pretty, it appears, the only one on the city website have his complete candidate nomination package included? Not just nominators like the others.
2.) why does Judy not list any income from anywhere?
I was also wondering if people would be able to tell me a little more (personal thoughts) about the following candidates:
- Ryan Foster
- Doug Maxwell
- Tarik Sayeed
I believe that the high tech sector is somewhere we should perhaps the city should invest in by way of attracting these clean energy, high paying jobs creators. Any thoughts about this as well?

Thanks
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

scorpion1024 wrote:This is my prediction (in order of votes). Although it is not necessarily how I voted. I believe Max Picton will top the charts. Should be interesting to see it play out at 8:15pm tonight!

Mayor:
Andrew Jakabeit

Council:
Max Picton
Helena Konanz
Campbell Watt
Judy Sentes
Lynn Kelsey or Andre Martin
Ryan Foster

Trustees:
Bill Bidlake
Bruce Johnson
Barb Sheppard
Keith MacInytre

I will not vote for either Andrew Jakabeit or Helen Konanz; I believe they voted against hiring the two firefighters that are needed. I predict a big win by John Vassalaki. Sentes? No thanks. Remember you don't have to vote for six councillors.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”