Colin Basran: Profiles in Courage?

Temporary forum for civic elections
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Colin Basran: Profiles in Courage?

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Mr. Basran has a pretty facebook page with lots pretty pictures of The Candidate and family homilies and such. It's almost a cult-like setting.

If you do visit the page, limit your activities to fawning, as actual questions to The Candidate don't stick around too long.

I guess when one has nothing substantive to say, answering a question is almost as hard as selling houses.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Colin Basran: Profiles in Courage

Post by John500 »

What actually did C Basran do?
Real Estate, did he actually sold a house?
CHBC TV reporter, did he resigned or was let go?
3 years on Council. He seems like a Walter Gray boy.
What is his voting record like? Developers dream boy or....?
So I like to find out his experience in detail as why he would be a good Mayor.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Municipal politics in Kelowna, and most of the southern interior, is about development. Zoning, water and sewage, roads and all those infrastructure things. There are always candidates who are put forward as new and shiny leaders for the community. They usually turn out to be front men (or women) who get the right land zoned into the developers hands. They also get the city to pay for the water and sewage lines to the land, and build the roads at public expense so the profits from the new developments can be maxed out. We're seeing the same thing in Vernon with MaryJoe O'Keefe running for mayor. The O'Keefe family owns a huge chunk of land up above Vernon on the northwest.

Remember, municipal politics is all about getting the broad tax base to pay for the development of new subdivisions. It's been that way for decades.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

bob vernon wrote:Municipal politics in Kelowna, and most of the southern interior, is about development. Zoning, water and sewage, roads and all those infrastructure things. There are always candidates who are put forward as new and shiny leaders for the community. They usually turn out to be front men (or women) who get the right land zoned into the developers hands. They also get the city to pay for the water and sewage lines to the land, and build the roads at public expense so the profits from the new developments can be maxed out. We're seeing the same thing in Vernon with MaryJoe O'Keefe running for mayor. The O'Keefe family owns a huge chunk of land up above Vernon on the northwest.

Remember, municipal politics is all about getting the broad tax base to pay for the development of new subdivisions. It's been that way for decades.

Thanks Bob Vernon, that was great. I was waiting for a hammer to hit a nail and there you have it.

Building on that, I see this election about who do you want to hold that purse, someone with zero gumption or results, or someone who stood once to quell the rush of new this and that, for no other than those on the permit. Having Basran fold under the obvious scrutiny and level of pressure to approve this or that for the benefit of a few is the norm, but time to halt it. A vote for Basran is saying one is ok with having it as bob vernon writes. Where buddies and those who financed the Basrans hold their hand out for the expected pay back. And we don't know what that looks like today, because Basran certainly doesn't add it to his speeches.

We don't know until buildings begin in rapid succession so the outgoing mayor Mr Senior Colin can put his stamp on things. People heard old Walter saying "I want to make sure I am the Mayor of record on this project" . . . again it's always about Wally. No different than everywhere you look, it's about Basran. Sign here, banner ad there, and endless dribble from AB and his buddy.

Seriously it's like a bad TV commercial. If we call in the next 10 minutes do we get two Basrans at half the price .. . plus free shipping?
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Colin Basran: Profiles in Courage ??

Post by wanderer »

Dear Partmanpartfish
I do not understand a part of your subject heading for this topic specifically "Profiles in Courage" ! Did you know there are people who only read headlines? (Sad state of affairs) So was your heading intentional ... these people will read the heading and think Colin is a Profile in Courage and go no farther. Even the rest of your topic does not correspond to the topic. Maybe add a NOT at the end of your topic heading if that was your intent.

Partmanpartfish wrote:Mr. Basran has a pretty facebook page with lots pretty pictures of The Candidate and family homilies and such. It's almost a cult-like setting.

If you do visit the page, limit your activities to fawning, as actual questions to The Candidate don't stick around too long.

I guess when one has nothing substantive to say, answering a question is almost as hard as selling houses.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

bob vernon wrote:Municipal politics in Kelowna, and most of the southern interior, is about development. Zoning, water and sewage, roads and all those infrastructure things. There are always candidates who are put forward as new and shiny leaders for the community. They usually turn out to be front men (or women) who get the right land zoned into the developers hands. They also get the city to pay for the water and sewage lines to the land, and build the roads at public expense so the profits from the new developments can be maxed out. We're seeing the same thing in Vernon with MaryJoe O'Keefe running for mayor. The O'Keefe family owns a huge chunk of land up above Vernon on the northwest.

Well said. And it's no coincidence that many a Realtor has run for local politics. It's a very complimentary thing to have a say in zoning and insider insight into future changes and planning (long before the public knows).
eliecer

Re: Colin Basran: Profiles in Courage?

Post by eliecer »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 14th, 2014, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cross posting
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

John500 wrote:What actually did C Basran do?
Real Estate, did he actually sold a house?
CHBC TV reporter, did he resigned or was let go?
3 years on Council. He seems like a Walter Gray boy.
What is his voting record like? Developers dream boy or....?
So I like to find out his experience in detail as why he would be a good Mayor.

I have to ask the same question. Why would Basran make a good Mayor. There is nothing saying that he would.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

I think Colin answered your question in yesterday's Daily Courier article:

Q. You’ve been a reporter and a realtor. Do those experiences really prepare you to lead an organization with revenues of $300 million, 1,000 employees, and the ability to affect the lives of 120,000 citizens?

A. Being on city council and helping get Kelowna moving forward again these past three years has taught me a great deal. As a reporter, I learned how to truly listen to residents and their concerns. As a professional realtor running my own business, I learned fiscal responsibility and how great the need is for more attainable market and rental housing. All of these experiences have prepared me to lead this city. Kelowna is ready for innovative and energetic leadership.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 5c077.html
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

KelownaResid wrote:I think Colin answered your question in yesterday's Daily Courier article:

Q. You’ve been a reporter and a realtor. Do those experiences really prepare you to lead an organization with revenues of $300 million, 1,000 employees, and the ability to affect the lives of 120,000 citizens?

A. Being on city council and helping get Kelowna moving forward again these past three years has taught me a great deal. As a reporter, I learned how to truly listen to residents and their concerns. As a professional realtor running my own business, I learned fiscal responsibility and how great the need is for more attainable market and rental housing. All of these experiences have prepared me to lead this city. Kelowna is ready for innovative and energetic leadership.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 5c077.html

Just because you have to pay for your own paper clips in the Royal LePage office, doesn't make ypou a business owner. Way to ride on the coat tails of your employers!!

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”