Shepherd for Mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shepherd for Mayor?

Post by Logitack »

land, try to learn how to use the quote feature will ya!
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Logitack wrote:5000 out of 90k+ eligible voters voted for basran.... yup, lets think about this.....

btw, where did you get the 5000 people?

basran got 56.70% of all eligible voters to vote for him.....well, actually 16 888 voted for him out of 90k+ of all eligible voters..

the REAL winner here was the forgreed group who got 8 of their 9 candidates elected....the second time in a row they have been successful!!

My bad, I was still looking at the results from early last night.
So ya, Almost 17,000 people disagree with Shepard being mayor.........

Sharon was so unpopular that only 10358 out of 90K eligible voters found it worth getting off their *bleep* to vote. Even after spending all that time on council and all that time as a previous Mayor, only 10358 out of 90K voters liked her enough to vote.................. Think about that for minute.

A large majority of the people who made the effort to vote, strongly disagree with your opinion. Perhaps you could take this opprotunity to see what you are missing rather then keep on the blinders of passion.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Only 15K out of 90K liked Basran.
That is only 17%

Voter turnout was less than the last election.
ForChange has learned how to manipulate the system well.

Time for mail in ballots to each household or online voting.
The line ups at some poll stations were really bad. I saw some people just give up and go home.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Logitack wrote:land, try to learn how to use the quote feature will ya!

Corrected.
You and 71 others Like this post
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

George+ wrote:Only 15K out of 90K liked Basran.
That is only 17%

The line ups at some poll stations were really bad. I saw some people just give up and go home.

They REALLY need online voting. Get with the times and the results would be WAY different.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

That is only 17%

George, don't you get tired of making a loss of your candidate or the win of someone else's a non-event?......the election happened, there was a clear winner, and there was a clear loser. To try and imply that it hasn't happened exactly like that is yet another pathetic attempt at continually blaming others when, in fact, your ideas are not in sync with the majority of the voting public.
You and 71 others Like this post
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Still name calling here, eh?? Kinda sad. It's over. For myself, my camp lost, but also won with TaxpayersFirst really losing out. It is what it is.
I believe the rheteric is still regarding the fact that it was money that won. In the 2011 election, the amount of votes Basran got by hiring a PR company was very high. And he did it again. Now other future candidates will know to do the same next time round. Next election will be the battle of the PR's. Sad, but again, it is what it is.
I do feel we all need to get behind Mr. Basran now, and hold him accountable. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by jamapple on Nov 16th, 2014, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

jamapple wrote:Still name callinf here, eh?? Kinda sad. It's over. For myself, my camp lost, but also won with TaxpayersFirst really losing out. It is what it is.
I believe the rheteric is still regarding the fact that it was money that won. In the 2011 election, the amount of votes Basran got by hiring a PR company was very high. And he did it again. Now other future candidates will know to do the same next time round. Next election will be the battle of the PR's. Sad, but again, it is what it is.
I do feel we all need to get behind Mr. Basran now, and hold him accountable. Nothing wrong with that.

...it could also indicate that those making the effort to cast ballots simply prefer Colin Basran over the other candidates/choices... :)
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Or that the system is really weak and being well manipulated.
And paid for by big bucks.
It will be interesting to see what Basran spent and or ForKelowna.

Why not electronic voting? Or mail ballots.

17% neede to elect a mayor is pathetic.

Nothing much ever changes in good ole Kelowna, though.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

George+ wrote:ForChange has learned how to manipulate the system well.

I don't think what they do is manipulate the system. I think they just make it easier for the right-wing voters to know who they really want to vote for without doing all that pesky thinking.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

George online voting is to open to being able to cheat. No, folks need to take the time, go to the polls, show their faces ans
their identification and vote. There was provision made for those who are shut-ins and ballots were taken right to their
homes and they could vote right on the spot and turn it in. Pretty much all the bases are covered in my view.

Perhaps it is wise to advance vote or go to the polls very early or later on in the evening.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Once someone has ran twice with failure it should be law that they can't run again. Save the space for someone who won't be intimidated by a "big" name to run.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That is only 17%

The people who voted were the people who actually cared about the results of the election. The people who didn't vote don't give a rat's hiney about the results.

So, out of the people who actually cared, more voted for Basran than voted for Shepherd.

It has nothing to do with manipulation, but with apathy.

The results are the results, the people who cared have spoken, and the whiners will whine and grasp at any excuse as to why their candidate(s) did not make it. The more mature people accept the results, and move on with their lives. By their posts on this forum it is easy to see who falls in to which group.
I haven't failed until I quit.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Municipal elections are a conundrum.

We can get at least over 50% in federal
/provincial elections...but local elections that
affects people the most, draws 30% or less.

I actually do not care that much who won as the council as a whole decides.
Anything is an improvement over Gray's image.

I would like to see at least 50% eligible voter confidence in leaders.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

That is only 17%

First of all, 16,755 out of 90K voted for Basaran, so that is actually 19% (learn to math please)
What is really pathetic is 10,358 out of 90K voted for Shepard which is only 12%

So while you may feel you are marginalizing the importance of Basarn's election, you are only bringing light to how very badly Sheppard did. Using your math skills, only 12% of Kelowna likes Sheppard. You and your friends are very much the minority.

Did Basaran's promotional company bring him more votes? I don't know if it did or not. Some may claim it did, but at the same time we have to accept that voter turn out was even less than last year. It's kind of hard to claim his promotional investment bought votes if less people showed up.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”