Summerland Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
0gopogo
Fledgling

Re: Summerland Election

Post by 0gopogo »

Yeah well, it's mostly stop the swapper people, like antelee sez......gonna be a gong show.
Hope they ban cans of black spray paint in council chambers.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

i hope mark Ziebarth enjoyed spending his money on his 3rd party ads... ROFL
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

So, the way I see it, the only incumbent that was elected was Waterman but in the position of mayor. Otherwise a complete cleaning of the house.

Waterman the apparent "black sheep" of counsel, now mayor.

I'd say the citizen aren't trying to tell the last counsel something, they did tell the last counsel something.

I'd venture a guess that if Perrino had run she may have lost as well. "there will be no clapping,, no cheering,,,,"

Hacking, Van Alphen, Robson, Hallquist, gone.

I guess the people of Summerland didn't buy the idea that building houses on farm land would be a windfall to economic growth and the actual formula that for every $1 in taxes created by building new homes it costs the municipality $1.25 was believed.

Congratulations Mayor Waterman.

Governing a small town without true consultation of the electorate on major issues may,,, no will, result in consequences.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Congratulations to Peter Waterman.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dzen

Post by Dzen »

Well, so much for that 'silent majority', amiright, guys!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ok. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture?

image.jpg

oldboy? nextgen?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Who cares. It's been posted elsewhere as bs. Why repost it????
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

These results come as a real surprise to me, but that's the way the system works, the voters have spoken. I think it's a loss that all the incumbents were shut out, some experience on council is always a help.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rkillick

Post by rkillick »

Obviously my views are not in line with what most people in Summerland want. These results are very eye opening. Congratulations to the new mayor and council, it will be interesting to see what the future brings.
antelee
Fledgling

Post by antelee »

rkillick wrote:Obviously my views are not in line with what most people in Summerland want. These results are very eye opening. Congratulations to the new mayor and council, it will be interesting to see what the future brings.

I agree (simmered down after my dismay last night)
So, most people in Summerland want to live breathing in pesticides, monster houses and condos on the hillsides (take a look at Peachland, people while you're driving to Kelowna/West Kelowna to shop - that's our future), higher taxes and more young families leaving town.
I wonder how long it will take before the people on this council are fighting amongst themselves? My guess is that Janet Peake is capable of chewing Waterman up for breakfast.
Too bad that Joel Gregg didn't make the list - I think he would have been an asset on council.
Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

my5cents wrote:
Waterman the apparent "black sheep" of counsel, now mayor.

I'd say the citizen aren't trying to tell the last counsel something, they did tell the last counsel something.

I don't know, it looks like 3/4 of the voters voted against him.

I do agree with Madhue that it's an eclectic, young council. Many of which with good track records of interesting ventures in the past.

Good for you Summerland. (mostly)
On a different forum
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sad day for Summerland. The next year is going to be a gong show and then the electorate will collectively be thinking "What the f#*k were we thinking?"
The narrow spread in votes for Mayor speaks volumes and the support for Waterman was hardly a sign of a united community in the making.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Assumed

Post by Assumed »

We were starting to see a turn around but now Summerland has just been shut down, again. Progressive Mayor and council in all communities up and down the valley except Slumberland. Really sad.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Careful now-some idiot will pop by and scream sour grapes. :)

Let the train wreck begin-after all....3/4 of the voters voted against our new mayor.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Assumed wrote:We were starting to see a turn around but now Summerland has just been shut down, again. Progressive Mayor and council in all communities up and down the valley except Slumberland. Really sad.

Yup, pretty much. My modest investment in Summerland will be available this week. I have been patient but am at a point in life I am going to exit now with my capital at least intact before the Amish leaders make the already current cost of servicing a residential lot at $1.20 for every $1.00 collected in property taxes becomes 2 bucks.
The absolute irony here.....add up the property tax contributions of the new Amish councillors and see if they contribute an equitable per thousand dollar in property value tax contribution. Then ask them if they are genuine farmers or retiree's supplementing a pension cheque, hobby farmers, or have an alternate source (spousal paycheque).

Summerland has sunk costs in infrastructure, water works and sewer being the big ones. How can one say it costs 1.20 per serviced lot as a reason to not add new homes and payors to that sunk cost and bring the per capita cost down. Me thinks it is pretty easy when you contribute squat in taxes to begin with.

Congrats Summerland voters. You have just voted to protect the people that actually have the assets to pay taxes and reaffirmed the burden to the residential homeowner paying a mortgage from a paycheque from an employer.

Just for fun.....how bout some of you ask your newly elected councillor Richard Barkwell a few questions. He has stated he is an auditor for CCRA (revenue canada). He has also stated he operates a "small" agricultural business in Summerland. If anyone is going to know what the benefits of operating a small farm, minimum income requirements to qualify for agricultural status, and then collect a generous Public Service Pension in two or three years, and then after the gov't cheques start flowing, know that all he has to do is maintain his minimum farm income requirements to avoid paying Summerland property taxes like average Home Owner Joe has to to pay for sewage plant, domestic water, roads, parks and even roundabouts....... ya know....... that $1.20 per residential lot.....who is the smart guy here? I am pretty sure it's it's Dick. And you people voted for him.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”