Repeat after me

Temporary forum for civic elections
raniculas

Repeat after me

Post by raniculas »

I went to the mall for errands not knowing you could vote there. so as I walked by I saw 10 people in line and I though what the heck. 10 minutes in and out and I can feel good about myself.

I wait in line...get seated..sign this sign that...then she looks up at me and asked to repeat these 6 or 7 lines on the piece of paper out loud before my signature. I looked at her funny then proceeded to sign. she said if your uncomfortable with that I can read one line at a time to you and you may repeat after me. I told her that's okay I would like to just vote today.
she said sorry your note allowed to vote until youv read these (I assume it was 6 numbered rules or something) out loud to me.

I collected my i.d and walked away. in a nice way I wished her a good day.

stood at the edge of area where voting was... waiting for my girlfriend.
the young lady carried my papers over to the supervisor...because I already signed them and the next step was to vote.
the supervisor said just scratch my siqnature off and youll have an extra blank vote for the end of the day.

im not trying to be difficult . just I have voted a lot before and never had to do that stuff..spoke to my parents they looked at me funny...they never heard of this.

I looked online..a person can mail a vote in....do you have mail in a voice recording to.

I was just wondering why this now....the older lady beside didn't have to do this..........im in the 25-35 area

arg.

EDIT) when my girlfriend was asked. she was weirded out by this as well. and after she read the few lines to the older lady in charge. she responded (OOOO your a good girl aren't you. you behave).......
Last edited by raniculas on Nov 16th, 2014, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Re: Repeat after ME

Post by soontoberetired »

I voted in the Mission. While the young man was copying my information on the form I read the declaration which was sitting on the table beside me. He then asked me to read the declaration aloud. I said that I had already read the declaration while he was filling in my name, address, identification....! I signed and was given a ballot. Some voters left due to the length of the line up to vote. I do not believe it was necessary to require each voter to read the declaration aloud!
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

hope you have done the survey from the city regarding your feelings on voting ;)

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/kelowna ... otes-2014/
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Wow, something sound very wrong here, turning off a voter that way, regardless of age. I hope the city gets to the bottom of it, but its not going to help this voter today.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

It was a new rule to read the declaration out loud this year. Not sure why it was taken personally...
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Gilchy wrote:It was a new rule to read the declaration out loud this year. Not sure why it was taken personally...

I didn't have to read my declaration out loud thank goodness. Reading and stating I agreed seemed quite enough.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
valenej

Post by valenej »

I read it out loud. I initially was a bit surprised as I had never had to do that before. My vote was more important than my discomfort (in my opinion anyways). I'm also in the 25-35 age range as well but I don't think this was an age thing.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

valenej wrote:I read it out loud. I initially was a bit surprised as I had never had to do that before. My vote was more important than my discomfort (in my opinion anyways). I'm also in the 25-35 age range as well but I don't think this was an age thing.

Did you vote at the mall also?
valenej

Post by valenej »

Nope...
I voted at Springvalley Middle School. I thought most people were reading them out loud while I was there.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

I voted in Winfield and this wasn't required there!? I wasn't too happy about having only one place to vote and that was 12 kilometers from my home. There was too much of a wait so it is probably a good thing that the number of voters stayed low again!!!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

There are people in countries around the world that would love to have the right to vote. There are people who have died fighting to save democracy.

Complaining about reading a declaration out loud, really?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Having to read the declaration aloud would present an unnecessary barrier for many people.

When we were signing in to vote the declaration was read aloud to us, and we were simply asked to agree with it. That's appropriate, and I suspect that's what the people working the elections were actually told to do. I think it's likely some of them misunderstood the instructions they were given.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
valenej

Post by valenej »

On the form I signed it specifically stated that I had to read the declaration aloud. I don't think any volunteers who asked people to read It were confused, just following the directions.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

I voted in the mission and had to read it aloud. I am in my forties, so I am confident it is not an age thing ;)

Very silly step that made a cumbersome process even more cumbersome. The city of Kelowna is very lucky we had such lousy turn out. Could you imagine if 75K voters are turned up?
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

valenej wrote:Nope...
I voted at Springvalley Middle School. I thought most people were reading them out loud while I was there.

Nobody at City Hall said them while I was there. Good thing too, with the small space it would have been way too noisy.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”