Lake Country municipal election

Temporary forum for civic elections
arbonne

Re: Lake Country municipal election

Post by arbonne »

George+ wrote:The McCarthys also ignored ALR rules and daycare rules.

Til they got caught.

The daycare on their property was the best thing going for my family in so many ways. Unfortunate that red tape caused that problem.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Very good sign! Advanced poll numbers are way up. That always indicates a change in government. Yippppppppppeee!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It does no such thing!
And don't get so caught up in the numbers are up, way up... cause it is just a comparison from the last election attendance at advanced polling and there are far too many variables to assume it indicates anything, other than individuals want to get it out of the way and free up their personal Saturday time!
This is after all the first year the local government election is being held on a Saturday and starts a new way the date for elections is to be handled.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
fsbo

Post by fsbo »

omisimaw wrote:It does no such thing!
And don't get so caught up in the numbers are up, way up... cause it is just a comparison from the last election attendance at advanced polling and there are far too many variables to assume it indicates anything, other than individuals want to get it out of the way and free up their personal Saturday time!
This is after all the first year the local government election is being held on a Saturday and starts a new way the date for elections is to be handled.

Hmmmm... The last 2 Municipal Elections were on a Saturday, NOV 15, 2008, NOV 19, 2011.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

omisimaw wrote:It does no such thing!

So, you're wrong (again). This is in fact the 4th consecutive election that has been held on a Saturday. Unless, of course, you are going to argue that those last 3 Saturdays aren't in fact Saturdays.

Google away on the indicators of higher voter turnout. Studies show that higher turnout correlates to a change in administration.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Way to go LC! Good job...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

People are idiots. That sums up these results, save a ray of light in OK Centre.

What I found odd was taking the polling stations to the old folks homes, where the vote will be heavily skewed to incumbents. Old folks tend to vote for the status quo and I think that could have influenced the results.

Why wasn't there some sort of "youth fair" where young people were given a chance to special exposure at a polling station?

Under whose direction was the polling station sent to the old folks homes? I sincerely hope this wasn't an initiative of the incumbent mayor and council, as that in my opinion would be tantamount to "dirty tricks."

Does anyone know the auspices under which this action was taken?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It is done all the time in almost every municipality. It is also done at hospitals and other care facilities. It is a convenience and really how much difference do a handful of seniors really make LOL It is not as if there are that many living there that would vote.
The spread was significant enough to say the people have spoken.
No non residents, no developers, no grudge matches between council and administrator....
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

omisimaw wrote:It is done all the time in almost every municipality. It is also done at hospitals and other care facilities. It is a convenience and really how much difference do a handful of seniors really make LOL It is not as if there are that many living there that would vote.
The spread was significant enough to say the people have spoken.
No non residents, no developers, no grudge matches between council and administrator....

How much difference? Maybe the difference between 1215 and 990.

That convenience as you call it should have been extended to other segments of society, otherwise it reeks of incumbent manipulation of the outcome.

Who was responsible for the decision to allow this?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Rwede wrote:How much difference? Maybe the difference between 1215 and 990.

That convenience as you call it should have been extended to other segments of society, otherwise it reeks of incumbent manipulation of the outcome.

Who was responsible for the decision to allow this?

What other "segments of society" are you thinking of?
This convenience doesn't seem much different than an advance polling station to me.
The incumbents do not go to the health facilities with the ballots, it is done by a voting officer who is not allowed to campaign for anyone. You seem to be suggesting that those with sound minds but limited mobility and other serious health issues don't have the ability to make informed decisions about whom they vote for.
They would also know the McCarthy name at least as well as Baker if they have lived in Lake Country any length of time.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Why didn't they go to UBC-O to engage the youth vote, the vote which is least represented at the ballot box?

I'm not against making voting convenient for people. I'm against only making it convenient for a certain segment of society, and in this case, a segment that would favour status quo. The mayoral vote is but one

No one seems to know whose idea this was. Was it the incumbent mayor and council's idea to go to old folks' homes? Anyone here able to answer that question?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

It has been done for years in many municipalities.
You and 71 others Like this post
Taranis1964

Post by Taranis1964 »

In response to Rwede:

From Elections BC website (http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/voting/): Special Voting – The District Electoral Officer may establish special voting opportunities to assist eligible voters who wish to vote but are unable to attend a regular voting place on General Voting Day because they are in a hospital, mental health facility, remote community or work camp, long-term care facility or correctional centre.

Neither the incumbents nor any other candidate had anything to do with taking polling stations to care facilities. As mentioned by others, it happens in many municipalities. The people in these facilities are citizens who have the right to vote like any other eligible voter, but due to circumstances cannot make it to a regular polling station.

You seem to be insinuating that allowing this to happen is vote manipulation. The same could be said for not allowing them the opportunity to vote.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Students are able bodied and quite able to make it to a voting station. I voted when I was a student. The point of going to places like care homes and hospitals is to allow everyone the ability to vote if they wish.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

UBC-O is located in Kelowna and if you were at all interested you would have realized that there was indeed a polling station, a Kelowna polling station, there.

And as to the residents of a care home facility having a swing vote as you suggest well that is pure rubbish unless you are suggesting that there are in excess of 250 residents living at the LC home and that every single one would have voted for anyone single party.

PLUS you are forgetting that LC does offer further service to those with mobility issues by the way of curbside voting at the polling station.

But as far as setting up polling stations in other local government municipalities, or for that matter other parts of Canada, is just plain silly talk.

Besides the election was on a Saturday with several advanced polls, so whether a person attends school or works in another location they had sufficient time to vote in their local area.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”